It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a Sonic Boom Be Heard For A Distance Of 100 Miles? If Not Something Funny Has Happened.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OliArtist

I have found a couple of threads here on the same topic:-

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

These may give additional information.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I was in bed as i work night shifts (just started infact) and it woke me up as my bed shook that was my experiance of it, i heard no plane where I was half asleep I though it was a bomb or somthing (im from Swindon by the way)...

OliArtist This is a key point I dont understand how people are not questioning the 'official story' to what this was. I hate how because a person or persons in a postition power say somthing everyone belives it and thinks no more of it even though somtimes there is BLAITENT evidence for somthing. The earthquake thing stumps me aswel, I was under the impression you have to be on or somwhere near the edge of a tectonic plate to feel an earthquake?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Hi, I received a phone call from my Mum at about 7.30pm tonight and she said that she had heard the the boom at work just outside Bath & looked out of the window & said that the sky had gone a bit crazy & she then watched a Jet chasing a black blob (her words!) through the sky. The black blob then disappeared into a cloud & the Jet went under the cloud & continued to follow the black blob when it left the cloud cover... My Mum is not into conspiracy theories & UFO's etc.. so I thought this was very interesting.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by OliArtist

What the OP is, I think, alluding to is the fact that if the Typhoon jets took off from their QRA duty at an Oxfordshire base (Brize Norton?), and they flew to the area around Bath (which is where the MoD claims the

The QRA Typhoons were scrambled from RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire. The VC-10 air-refuelling tanker supporting was from RAF Brize Norton.

The two Eurofighter Typhoons were monitored all the way from scramble to interception by radio enthusiasts in the UK. Eurofighter Typhoon call signs were 5KG41 and 5KG42. They were tasked to intercept a civilian registered Westland Gazelle helicopter. The radio enthusiasts monitored the Pilot of 5KG42 reporting that he was flying at Mach 1.2 during part of the flight to reach the area.

All radio intercepts at Fighter Control website. Some of the sections you have to register to gain access to such as the radio monitoring section.

www.fightercontrol.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

The next question to ask is, why would RAF Typhoon jet fighters be responding to a civilian helicopter emergency call?

Because that is their role on Quick Reaction Alert. The RAF maintain Northern QRA at RAF Leuchars in Scotland and Southern QRA at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire, England. Both QRAs are provided by Eurofighter Typhoons. It is standard procedure for assets declared to NATO QRA to respond to such emergencies.

They render navigational assistance, if requested, to military and civilian aircraft to include warning of other air traffic, and they assist aircraft with in-flight emergencies, for example the loss of communication, in coordination with appropriate civil Air Traffic Control, ATC. Designated Air Defence units provide fighter aircraft for the Quick Reaction Alert Force, QRA Force.

www.airn.nato.int...
edit on 12-4-2012 by tommyjo because: spelling

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Some cover story? Your post shows the levels that die-hard conspiracy theorists will go to. I know it it is a conspiracy website, but seriously?

The scrambles of the Typhoons were witnessed by enthusiasts at RAF Coningsby. The communications were intercepted and monitored and the enthusiasts even got the registration of the helicopter. G-IBNH is a Gazelle HT2 ex military serial XW853.

After the tasking the two Typhoons worked with the air-refuelling tanker and then conducted flight operations over East Anglia/East Midlands before heading back to RAF Coningsby.

Reported over on Fighter Control website.

'9:49pm Typhoon manoeuvring with much verve, tight turns, afterburner...over south of Spilsby..'
The above Typhoon would be call sign 5KG42.

The other Typhoon call sign 5KG41 called up the tower at Coningsby requesting to land.

'21.52pm 5KG42 back with Coningsby tower 340.250, finals gear down'

I live approximately 15 miles from Coningsby and noted the request to land on my radio scanner.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tommyjo

Hi Tommy, Is it normal for people based across the country to hear a sonic boom at the same time??? This is taken from the Telegraphs piece about it:

People in the Home Counties, Cotswolds, Wiltshire, Somerset and parts of the Midlands reported hearing the deafening noise shortly after 6pm on Thursday.

How can this be possible?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Nope, please stop calling me the OP - you're doing as much reading into things as I obviously did. I have a different name to the OP
Why that story is on the "Most read" of BBC news website I have no idea. But sure, I got that wrong. No idea why they would send a jet to hover round a chopper, unless they thought it was a terrorist threat of some kind.

Apparently you only get 4 hours to edit a post, so I'm afraid my disinformation on page 1 will stay forever

edit on 12-4-2012 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Actually I dismissed the earthquake link

news.bbc.co.uk...

but the same link is in the most popular stories on the BBC right now

www.bbc.co.uk...

Yet it's dated at 2008.

Unless it's been resurrected ?

* confused*

Translation : Another member linked to this a page or so back and I dismissed his link as being out of date - but i refreshed the BBC news webiste and sure enough that link from '2008' is in the top stories,,,,

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Because everyone is google and searching the BBC for earthquakes since thats what they thought they heard.

And who can blame them for going right for earthquake as the search criteria, its illegal to go supersonic over populated uk and the cases when they do are very isolated as they are accidents are air shows - never supersonic for a hundred miles.

Thats my guess

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hello everyone,

I have just become a member of ATS after reading this thread. I am some-what suspicious about what happened yesterday in the UK also.

I live in Swindon, Wiltshire and a few minutes before I heard the sonic boom I sat and watched my clean pile of washing slide off of my table (I was over the other side of the room at the time). I then looked at some books on the arm of the sofa in front of the table and for some strange reason, I felt as if they were about to slide of too. A few minutes later I heard the loud bang, which I thought was a very big bout of thunder at first. After speaking to my partner about 20 minutes later, I realised that that was probably unlikely to have been the case! He said to me that the whole factory that he works in, literally shook and that birds appeared from nowhere acting frantically. He did say something about a sonic boom to me and told me to check it out on the internet and that's when I discovered the news stories.

As I said previously, I am quite suspicious about it all, as is my partner. I understand that there is photographic evidence and a witness of the incident but even though this is the case, something about it all seems a bit odd.

I have also only just become aware of the earthquake in the UK. This happened a few minutes previous to the sonic boom and could explain why my washing slid of off the table. I wrote a comment on the BBC website yesterday evening and mentioned this, but my comment hasn't yet been displayed.

I also read a comment somewhere where somebody had said they had seen jets low in the sky in hours previous to this.

It is odd that we had an earthquake (despite the geological society saying that there hadn't been any) and then a few minutes later we hear a sonic boom. Maybe I'm just being too sceptical?!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have just noticed the comments above stating that the BBC article is from 2008. I remember this earthquake - this too was felt in Swindon. It happened in the middle of the night and I remember feeling my bed shake! I thought if there had there of been an earthquake (the timing fitted perfectly), then that would have explained why my washing slid off of the table. Maybe it was just a coincidence!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Emma2710

It is strange that there are 3 people on this thread from Swindon. Two have just joined because of this event. I too felt the earth quake in 2008 and i also experienced the big boom.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I've heard the sonic boom of the Space Shuttle as it came in for landing at Edward's Air Force Base from downtown Los Angeles (it was a double sonic boom, actually, two in quick succession). That was from a good 60 or 70 miles away, based on the maps I'm looking at. It was loud, very loud, even from inside the building which cuts out most other outdoor sounds, including the ever present helicopters that were always hovering around the city, sometimes quite close by. It also rattled the heavy, tightly fitted windows of the skyscraper I was in. Just based on that I would say that yes, a sonic boom could be heard at that distance under the right conditions.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Emma2710

The Sun has just published this, I know it's the sun but it's kind of like what my Mum described to me a couple of miles otside of Bath, see previous comments in this thread.

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimindtrickno1

Hmm not sure why that link did not take you straight there but the headline is "Sonic boom as jets investigate ‘UFO'"

If you type that in you should find the story...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join