It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STATINS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Is anybody else currently taking any cholesterol medication on here?

I have been taking it for about 9 months and I am giving serious thought to stop taking the medication. To be sure, I have talked this over with my doctor on two separate occasions now, last week was the latest, and he is adamant that I continue taking them. So I guess that should settle it right? I love my doctor, but sometimes I feel they can be prescription happy. I am also taking two different High Blood Pressure medications which have been nothing more than miraculous in lowering my HBP. I understand the importance of following your doctors direction and the benefits of modern medicine.

But here is the thing.

I keep a very detailed log on such things as my diet, weight, HBP, exercise routine etc. I have found a direct correlation between Statins, in my case Zocor, and weight gain. I aint talking about adding a few extra pounds. My weight has jumped from 185 to 225 in less than a year!!!

I am convinced it is because of the Zocor. I exercise regularly and my diet while it could be better is still a lot better than it was a year a go.

I would like to hear from others who are or have taken this class of medicine. What, if any, side effects did you experience? Did you experience any serious weight gain?

I am going to keep on taking them but I plan on bringing it up again with my doctor when I see her next month. I would just like to have a little ammunition to back up my belief that my Zocor medication is putting all these extra pounds on which would seem to negate any benefits that I might be getting from the medication.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Classified Info

What's your diet? Should have fibers, like Apples. What do you eat?? (serious question).

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I have taken 3 different Statins. Had bad side effects with all 3 ..... weakened muscles. Didn't take them long enough to notice any weight gain. Since I couldn't take the Statins, my doctor put me on CoQ10 and Omega 3.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

i heard it causes sleep problems. and if you dont get enough sleep then it can cause you to gain weight. how are you sleeping? i have also read that statins arent very effective at prevented heart attacks and may make it worse
www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Statins were prescribed to me a couple of years ago along side blood pressure meds, I started to gain weight just like you have buddy, my doctor was not happy with that situation so I was told to stop the blood pressure tabs, since I stopped taking them I am happy to report that my weight has been coming down at a healthy rate for the last seven months, so its not the statins its the blood pressure tabs.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I have given up all fried foods, all fast foods.

My HBP is back down to normal but I keep close track of my sodium intake.

I love fish and grilled chicken breast (skinless) with my homemade bar-b-q sauce. Overall I have cut down on my portion size because I have always been a fairly big eater but before I started taking Zocor my weight consistently stayed in the 170--180 range for years.

I admit I could add more fruits and veggies to my diet but overall I am eating less and more healthier than I was before I started putting on all this weight.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I think the fruits and vegetables would be great. At least you don't eat too much animal fat, that's what I wanted to know. And as you say, you keep the sodium down.
Can't help you more than that. Good luck.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I too would like to get off...but in my case...the Doc said its too dangerous. I went from 190 to 240 pounds as well....and cannot shake it off either no matter what. Good luck

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by delrio256

I have taken 3 different Statins. Had bad side effects with all 3 ..... weakened muscles. my doctor put me on CoQ10 and Omega 3.

Man, weakened muscles. I have noticed that too.

CoQ10 and Omega 3? I am adding that to my list to bring up with my doctor.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

You tried to shake it off?

I tried shaking my hair off, but didn't work.

The secret is caffeine, and hide the fridge from your vision. No kidding. I used to eat alot then I decided to hide all my food. Now, I eat less than a bird. And the cafeine keeps me and my metabolism active.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HODOSKE

As far a sleep goes I have always been somewhat of an insomniac but I can function on 4---5 hours of sleep.

Thanks for the link.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by freewestray

Giving up my HBP medication isn't an option for me. They have worked wonders for me and my doctor would kill me if I did.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself more clearer, thats my fault. But I was taking HBP meds. before the Zocor. I did experience some weight gain at first but I got it back down with no problem. It was at that time I gave up fast food joints. It is unreal how much sodium fast food contains.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
I too would like to get off...but in my case...the Doc said its too dangerous. I went from 190 to 240 pounds as well....and cannot shake it off either no matter what. Good luck

Good luck to you as well!

Your doctor sounds like mine.

It seems like we are both in the same boat. I'm scared to go off my meds but I have to get rid of this weight.

If you come across something that works let me know.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Was on statins for about 2 months and they almost killed me - my muscle tone went to zero and it was all I could do to get out of a chair.... so my doctor tried Niaspan, but I had itching all over my body from thet.

Now I'm on Zetia - which does wonders except it doesn't change the ratio of good/bad cholesterol. So I take Welchol which does Welchol has some nasty side effects, but they offfset the side efects from my other meds so I'm happy.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I take Niacin and fish oil -- raised the good cholesterol lowered the bad. Some studies show that is also purges the plaque the causes Alzheimers.. Well known treatment for cholesterol -- only side effect I have found was hot flashes, they are short in duration and pretty soon they go away. Don't take the time release tabs - they lower the flushes but your liver is happier with one good shot rather than a drip.

Statins were causing me problems -- the doctor approved and actually double the dose to 1000 units. I buy the stuff at the grocery store and it is cheap, about 7 dollars a month, less than the copay on a statin.

A while ago they were advertising a prescription drug -- niaspan -- expensive and mostly niacin.

Also found an old blood pressure med (guanafacine) that is now being used to treat ADHD and also for older people it improves focus attn span, and lowers my blood pressure at the same time, you take it at bedtime because it tends to make you just a little drowsy -- so 3 positive effects in one. I do think it works though it is tough to separate the desired effects placebo component. I have been doing a computer set up that is taking 10 and 12 hour days and my focus is very good (62 yo). The doctor was surprised about the effects of this drug but she is fine with it as long as it keeps the BP under control

Please don't take my word for it google the two - there are plenty of legit sites that describe these.
edit on 12-4-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
In a study from Sweden of 4 million patients there was no difference in heart attack rates from before statins went on the market and after, so those taking it to prevent a heart attack got no benefit.
From Russia: "A greater risk of death from heart disease in those with low blood LDL/cholesterol levels"
From Japan: "As LDL/cholesterol levels went up death rates from coronary heart disease went down"
From Framingham: "As LDL/cholesterol levels fell, CHD rates went up"

When the numbers were dropped from 240 to under 200, the 9 Doc's who made the scale, it was later revealed that 6 had ties to company's making statin drugs.

To me cholesterol lowering drugs are as big a scam as vaccines.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Truedoc1

Are you sure it is the ldl and not the hdl goes up. One is good and the other is bad. Increasing the good one is also showing some correlation with diminishing alzheimers ( my brain is really the most valuable thing I own, I am really interested in making it last a lifetime.)

And I very much disagree about the vaccine thing -- I was raised when the kids in the neighborhood actually got polio, not a pretty sight.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truedoc1
In a study from Sweden of 4 million patients there was no difference in heart attack rates from before statins went on the market and after, so those taking it to prevent a heart attack got no benefit.
From Russia: "A greater risk of death from heart disease in those with low blood LDL/cholesterol levels"
From Japan: "As LDL/cholesterol levels went up death rates from coronary heart disease went down"
From Framingham: "As LDL/cholesterol levels fell, CHD rates went up"

When the numbers were dropped from 240 to under 200, the 9 Doc's who made the scale, it was later revealed that 6 had ties to company's making statin drugs.

To me cholesterol lowering drugs are as big a scam as vaccines.

That`s done it for me, going to see my doc tomorrow and suggesting I stop with the statins, doing some research on them right now in light of your comment.

Thank you!!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I was prescribed statins a couple years ago. I took them on the day prescribed and had very vivid dreams that night (the plus side) but when I awoke the next morning, the area between my hand knuckles and feet knuckles??? was very tender and sore. I thought nothing much of it. Second day, took as prescribed. That night, my dreams were even more vivid and "real". The next morning, I could barely move, my feet and hands were so sore and achy along with the rest of my body. I could only imagine that this is how severe rheumatoid arthritis must feel. It was terrible. Since the statin was the only new drug in my life, I deduced they were the culprit for my newfound discomfort. I stopped taking them immediately and on my next doctor visit, reported my side effects. To which my doctor exclaimed, "hmmmm, haven't heard of that before". Later I looked it up on the net and saw that it was indeed a side effect. I still have some and my SO has them but I strongly urge not using because of what I have now learned. HOWEVER, due to the vividest dreams I have ever had in my life, I am so tempted to try them occasionally just for that amazing experience but I don't want any long term bad effects. The dream experience was so vivid, I actually went online looking for something that would cause a similar affect. Unfortunately, most chemicals are illegal or dangerous. I have high BP so I am always nervous about trying anything not cleared with my doctor.

P.S. I don't read ahead of time the side effects of new medications prescribed to me because I don't want to be psychologically contaminated and possibly encourage the mental influence. That way, any side effects I feel are real and not psychosomatic

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I do both. Caffeine...and dont eat much and no junk. Im stuck this way

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join