It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Stay-At-Home Moms Are Worth More than $100K a Year

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This whole thing is BS. Republicans needed some kind of ammo as they've been getting drilled in the polls with women so they made this out to be far more than it is. I've never even heard of this woman...and quite frankly what she said wasn't all that horrible anyway.

Most people are incredibly lucky to be able to have one parent stay at home to raise the kids...and they do it on FAR FAR less with a husband who isn't worth 250 million dollars.

Most people can't do this....both parents have to work nowadays....she can't relate to most people in that regard. Try being a working woman and raising kids. It's not easy...my wife can tell you.

If Republicans are so concerned about this entire issue...why don't they start paying employees MORE so only one parent has to work.

Raise the minimum wage....increase benefits in the workplace. Stop trying to fight equal pay laws. Stop trying to regulate a woman's reproductive organs.

Most people can see through this nonsense. Even if this were a horrible horrible statement that she made....it doesn't change what THE GOP HAS DONE LEGISLATIVELY THAT EFFECTS WOMEN.
edit on 13-4-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Most people can see through this nonsense. Even if this were a horrible horrible statement that she made....it doesn't change what THE GOP HAS DONE LEGISLATIVELY THAT EFFECTS WOMEN.

Exactly.

And to assert that Ann Romney has much in common with the average stay-at-home mom is insulting.

If they want to play dumb and beg the issue then let's disclose whether she had a nanny, a housekeeper or a cook. My guess - yes. Most stay at home moms, not-so-much.

Which goes to the point Rosen was trying to make - Ann Romney's economic status allows for only anecdotal knowledge about the real life economic concerns of women, stay-at-home or otherwise.
edit on 13/4/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

i think it depends on the mom. I found it difficult to stay home and couldnt wait to get back to work. I know some mothers who sit and play computer games all day and do almost nothing and some work very hard cleaning and playing and teaching the kids. I thought it was way harder being home than at work and my job isnt so easy. I really missed interacting with working people I felt a bit stir crazy being home.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Ever heard of the Lily Ledbetter Act????

The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 is an Act of Congress enacted by the 111th United States Congress and signed into law by President Barack Obama on January 29, 2009.

The bill amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964 stating that the 180-day statute of limitations for filing an equal-pay lawsuit regarding pay discrimination resets with each new discriminatory paycheck. The law was a direct answer to the Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 550 U.S. 618 (2007), a U.S. Supreme Court decision holding that the statute of limitations for presenting an equal-pay lawsuit begins on the date that the employer makes the initial discriminatory wage decision, not at the date of the most recent paycheck, as a lower court had ruled.

A first bill to amend the statutory limitations period and supersede the Ledbetter decision was introduced in the 110th United States Congress but was never enacted, as after having been passed by the House it failed to survive a cloture vote in the Senate due to the opposition of most of the Republican Senators.
During the campaign for the 2008 elections, the Democrats criticized Republicans for defeating the 2007 version of the bill, citing Republican presidential candidate John McCain's opposition. Then-candidate Barack Obama supported the bill.

A new version of the bill was eventually re-introduced in the first session of the 111th United States Congress, obtaining this time the necessary support to pass cloture. The bill was then brought to the attention of the President and became the first act of congress signed by the new President Obama since his assumption of office on January 20.

en.wikipedia.org...

The very FIRST act of Congress Obama signed. THE FIRST ONE!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

It's too bad that they just released a study showing that Obama pays the women in his administration 19% less than the men. That averages to 11k a year. Whoops! So much for practicing what you try to force everyone else to do.

Women paid significantly less in Obama White House...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

With the recent Democratic boondoggle fiasco orchestrated by the Obama campaign and the DNC and executed by minion Hilary Rosen,

I stopped reading at this flat out lie.

We all know your agenda...it's getting quite old.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

“I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work.”

Yeah its hard to sit on your ass eating ice cream all day, screaming at the kids telling them to go to their room, clean the house for you or go outside and play.

I have been both a stay at home mom and a working mom. Being a working mom may be harder but the work you do as a stay at home mom is far more difficult and exhausting than an actual job. For me working was always a vacation from all the stuff you have to do at home. The only problem with being a working mom is that you still have to do all the stuff a stay at home mom would do when you get home from work in less amount of time.

As far as the article goes she is still out of touch, you know she had maids and other help. She does not represent real mothers.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Which goes to the point Rosen was trying to make - Ann Romney's economic status allows for only anecdotal knowledge about the real life economic concerns of women, stay-at-home or otherwise.

Exactly, was just talking to my boss about this...he felt exactly the same way. Will this change the polls much? I don't think so. His wife works as well.

Republicans trying to suddenly pretend to be "pro" woman is LAUGHABLE at best. This ONE statement that was made isn't going to suddenly shift millions of women to the GOP. But believe me, they will keep trying and digging for literally anything to try and turn the tide. They have to if they want to win the election.

In some ways, i feel insulted by this whole thing...even though I shouldn't....because I can't make enough money for my wife to be able to stay home. Wish i could but I can't.

If the GOP wants to defend stay at home mothers, which there is nothing wrong with initially, WHY DON'T THEY START WORKING TO MAKE IT MORE POSSIBLE FOR MORE AMERICANS TO KEEP A PARENT HOME BY ADVOCATING BETTER PAY AND BENEFITS FOR ONE PARENT?

I'll tell you why they don't do that, because they are FULL OF S!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
Only an Oprah fan would believe that a stay at home mother is worth 100k a year.

Its not that hard.

Even less so for wealthy people like the Romney woman.

I wonder how many nannies where employed to help this poor, poor housewife?

Also, once your kids are past the age of 4 or 5, you rarely see them during the day anyway.

Are the stay at home welfare moms worth 100k a year too?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
reply to post by David9176

It's too bad that they just released a study showing that Obama pays the women in his administration 19% less than the men. That averages to 11k a year. Whoops! So much for practicing what you try to force everyone else to do.

Women paid significantly less in Obama White House...

I've got a theory that it is only the women's fault they are paid less. Men are risk takers. Men march into their bosses office and demand a raise or they are getting the hell out of dodge and finding a better gig. Sometimes they get their raise, sometimes they get the boot, and then they spin the interaction some way that helps them get a raise at another organization. Men pat themselves on the back, peacock, and take credit for their work. Men also leapfrog from position to position or organization to organization increasing their pay at each level.

Women on the other hand are more stable, consistent, less risk-taking, and they would never dream of giving an ultimatum to their boss. They change positions and jobs less often, and they are humble in review of their own work. They are eager to share credit with their co-workers and take on added responsibilities without demanding any added pay.

Sure, women are taken advantage of in the workplace, because they allow themselves to be.

My ex-wife was exactly that type of women, until she met me, and I am exactly that type of man. After 10 years together, my ex-wife went from High School Drop Out to Summa Cum Laude at a major University, Vice-President of a Bank, making more money than her boss, enjoying a nice expense plan, and consulting for National Firms in the Mortgage Industry from her plush bank office! At her first job, she was a receptionist at a small mortgage company, now the former owner of that company works for her, at her bank, for less than half of her pay! The high school teacher that forced her out of school had to come to her for a loan recently!

Women, take control of your own career paths. You are more qualified, more in touch, more manipulative, and more in demand than any men in your field, and you look and smell better too! Don't blame the men for your low pay, blame the men for their own mistakes, own your successes, and become their boss.
edit on 13-4-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Nice slander piece. Obama made 2 appointees to the Supreme Court.

What sex were they?

How many women appointed by Conservatives currently sit on the Supreme Court?

Obama and Democrats have done far more for women than any current Republican could ever dream....in fact Republicans seem focused on infringing on the rights of women. Look at the laws they have been passing or repealing across the country.

link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused
My husband goes to work for 8 hours and then comes home and drinks beer. He makes 65K and gets weekends off.

Who's fault is that but your own?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Originally posted by Germanicus
Only an Oprah fan would believe that a stay at home mother is worth 100k a year.

Its not that hard.

Even less so for wealthy people like the Romney woman.

I wonder how many nannies where employed to help this poor, poor housewife?

Also, once your kids are past the age of 4 or 5, you rarely see them during the day anyway.

Are the stay at home welfare moms worth 100k a year too?

Probably more. Between food stamps, cash assistance, tax credits, child support, low-income housing, free cell phones, free healthcare, reduced utility rates, free education and job training, and then side-money selling ass or drugs, they surely make far more than $100k.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

We had a 2 income family that made bank.. he works for DoD I was an Rn working ER. We sat down, decided TOGETHER what we could SACRIFICE so I could raise the kids, educate them at home, and care for a child who required a transplant among the other things we had planned ( large gardens, small stay at home business, etc) . The word is sacrifice if you want to do this and arent a Romney. I dont begrudge her a bit.. she has the financial means not to sacrifice. For the rest of us.. rational ones anyway... you make a conscious decision to have kids in the first place ....and then a conscious decision on how you want to live and run your household.

Im shocked at the weird assumptions here. LOL! Ice cream? Im lactose intolerant.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Experience:
Waste-Management Consultant - Dispose of more remains than Tony Soprano, including one-legged action figures and the art projects that "mysteriously" disappear in the middle of the night.

Engineer- (Practically) earned an advance degree in toy assembly. Successfully completed the final project: assembling a ride-on pony at 2 am on Christmas.

Detective - Solved hundreds of cases, including "the Mysterious Brown Stain on the Carpet" and "Who's Been Eating Mommy's Favorite Cookies?". Hope to crack the case "The Midnight Appearance of the Toddler Dressed in Inside-Out and Upside-Down pajamas".

Singer - Entertain small and large crowds with a diverse repertoire, ranging form the Blue's Clues theme song to the Rolling Stone's (Can't get No) Satisfaction".

Technician - Quickly, and with very little swearing, extract Legos from the DVD player and pick pennies from between computer keys.

Food Scientist - Create well-balanced meals in whic no item touches another, and instantaneously turn "peas" into "magic green grow pellets".

Actor - Realistically convey enthusiasm for up to three consecutive games of Go Fish. Emmy worthy performances include "Good Job on the Potty" and "Mommy's Not Mad, She Just Needs a Time-Out".

Coach - Lead my team to many success, including sharing for longer than seven seconds.

Skills:
Handling demanding bosses
Tracking down lost blankets
Distracting hungry clients with only a set of keys and a travel pack of tissues

Awards:
The Butterfly Kiss Award, the "I Wuv U" prize and the coveted "Mommy, You're the Best" Honor

References:
Please contact two happy, healthy kids and one (mostly) satidfied husband.

fritzfacts.blogspot.com...

Pretty epic I must say. Worth more than $100K At least my mom is. (She didnt create this. I found this on a random blog)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I've got a theory that it is only the women's fault they are paid less. Men are risk takers. Men march into their bosses office and demand a raise or they are getting the hell out of dodge and finding a better gig.

Don't agree at all. I've worked at company that was dominated with women. There is no difference. Some people are willing to take more BS than others. Plenty of women out there who aren't going to take crap from anyone if they feel they aren't getting a fair shake....and i could easily say the opposite for plenty of men I know.

-------

My wife hates politics....she hates that I pay attention to politics....even with that...she is seeing what Republicans have been doing and she is NOT happy about it.

My wife works hard and has moved up in her work place, she has a longer drive than me as well and works longer shifts, and also works a little on the side...along with raising our child.

She gets incredibly angry when she sees the crap going on against women. She has never voted before. She if voting this year.....and it's not going to be for Republicans. There is nothing they could do before election time to change that.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I've got a theory that it is only the women's fault they are paid less. Men are risk takers. Men march into their bosses office and demand a raise or they are getting the hell out of dodge and finding a better gig.

Don't agree at all. I've worked at company that was dominated with women. There is no difference. Some people are willing to take more BS than others. Plenty of women out there who aren't going to take crap from anyone if they feel they aren't getting a fair shake....and i could easily say the opposite for plenty of men I know.

Everyone in my organization currently above me are all women. All the way to the Governor at least.

Do the women in your organization make less than the men? If they do, and they have female bosses, then who is to blame? Certainly not some male-dominated culture.

The reason there is an average pay disparity is because of the personalities, not the sexes.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

There is no pay disparity in the white house employees salary.

You can go look for yourself...like to like jobs pay the same for men and women.

Taking an overall average for all employees is the dumbest way to compare salaries...but it is a good trick to fool the more gulible.
edit on 13-4-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

“I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work.”

Yeah its hard to sit on your ass eating ice cream all day, screaming at the kids telling them to go to their room, clean the house for you or go outside and play.

A classic example of how the Progressives think. It does not get any better than this

Is that right? One person represents everyone??? Another classic example
of how conservatives think, all black people are criminals and all Mexicans
are gardeners

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

reply to post by jjkenobi

Nice slander piece. Obama made 2 appointees to the Supreme Court.

What sex were they?

Those weren't women

because they didn't look like Barbie Dolls

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join