It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MoD inquiry into mysterious bang

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

MoD inquiry into mysterious bang

www.bbc.co.uk

The Ministry of Defence is investigating reports of a loud bang that has been heard across a large part of England.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service also said they were looking into what caused the mysterious noise heard at about 18:10 BST.

Reports have come from across the West Midlands, Warwickshire and Oxfordshire.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
im on the flight path to bia, I didnt hear anything. I wasnt sure wher eto put this as its still breaking. most likely will end up in fragile earth, but could end up in a number of sub forums depending on the outcome.

I dont know why they mention its not a airplane sonic boom coimg into land at bia, why the hell would it be??

The cluds here have been beautifull today, I havnt seen big high clouds like this in years (just wispy overcast or black rain clouds), today looked like proper thunder strom clouds, infact it hailed here today for over an hour continuesly, ive never seen it hail for longer than 5-10 mins

anyone hear or feel this??

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
thanks, #i did search but you know.........

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Easter bunny fart?
I do it all for the LOLS!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm in Swindon and pretty much everybody bar me heard it. Described as a BIG bang like something crashing. The weather is a bit pre storm but I can't imagine a thunder clap heard over such a wide area?

maybe someone from a more stormy climate could give some insight into that?

The only other strange thing is that I was outside and heard nothing and everyone who did was inside?

I smell something fishy if airports are admiting possible sonic booms, know one admits anything unless they have to or have been asked to do so...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Thats a highly speculative subject with talk of meteors exploding, surely this should be the correct thread as it is at present news that is breaking?

Independent claim MOD admit it was a super sonic jet with permission to fly over land but no explanation of why as yet.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
According to the mod they were on the way to a helecoptor that had broadcast on the wrong frequency

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thefamiliar
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Thats a highly speculative subject with talk of meteors exploding, surely this should be the correct thread as it is at present news that is breaking?

Independent claim MOD admit it was a super sonic jet with permission to fly over land but no explanation of why as yet.

Surely the point of ATS is to hear, observe, digest and offer ideas / reasons for an event or action..........
If you just want to report news then visit the BBC or Fox.....

Other thread, started by another member was the 'first on the scene'......... why not consolidate and support one thread and not Duplicate with several others....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Think we've got four threads on it now

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But i'm sure we're allowed a breaking news and one other thread, so this thread (below)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

is the first. ^

Mods can close mine now (top link)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Normally I'd aggree PDUK but felt in this case that discussing it instantly as a conspiracy as opposed to an unknown event was going to get pretty silly pretty quick. went to the other thread and it was indeed "Highly speculative". Given that it happened over my own head I'd like to know what it was or could plausably have been

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This is odd..

According to the facts, and personal experience, a sonic boom from a distance;

usually heard as a deep double "boom" as the aircraft is usually some distance away. However, as those who have witnessed landings of space shuttles have heard, when the aircraft is nearby the sonic boom is a sharper "bang" or "crack". The sound is much like the "aerial bombs" used at firework displays.

It is a common misconception that only "one" boom is generated during the subsonic to supersonic transition, rather, the boom is continuous along the boom carpet for the entire supersonic flight. As a former Concorde pilot puts it, "You don't actually hear anything on board. All we see is the pressure wave moving down the aeroplane - it gives an indication on the instruments. And that's what we see around Mach 1. But we don't hear the sonic boom or anything like that. That's rather like the wake of ship - it's behind us.".[4]

In 1964, NASA and the Federal Aviation Administration began the Oklahoma City sonic boom tests, which caused eight sonic booms per day over a period of six months. Valuable data was gathered from the experiment, but 15,000 complaints were generated and ultimately entangled the government in a class action lawsuit, which it lost on appeal in 1969. Sonic booms were also a nuisance in North Cornwall and North Devon as these areas were underneath the flight path of Concorde. Windows would rattle and in some cases the "torching" (pointing underneath roof slates) would be dislodged with the vibration. There has been recent work in this area, notably under DARPA's Quiet Supersonic Platform studies. Research by acoustics experts under this program began looking more closely at the composition of sonic booms, including the frequency content.

Several characteristics of the traditional sonic boom "N" wave can influence how loud and irritating it can be perceived by listeners on the ground. Even strong N-waves such as those generated by Concorde or military aircraft can be far less objectionable if the rise time of the overpressure is sufficiently long. A new metric has emerged, known as perceived loudness, measured in PLdB. This takes into account the frequency content, rise time, etc. A well known example is the snapping of your fingers in which the "perceived" sound is nothing more than an annoyance.
en.wikipedia.org...

I've heard Concord several times..
I've heard other fighter jets several times too ...
What also bothers me is where do theRAF test their aircraft at speeds which break the sound barrier?
Do they purposely go way out over sea to do so just to stop annoying the general public?

According to the updated BBC news web page the Typhoon jet was;

a Typhoon responding to an emergency call. A Coventry resident said: "I thought somebody had thrown a brick through the window." The Ministry of Defence initially said it was investigating what was behind a loud noise in Oxfordshire but a spokesman later confirmed it was from one of two RAF Typhoons that had been launched following an emergency call from a helicopter.

The helicopter had transmitted on the wrong frequency, he said. Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service had also said it was looking into what caused the noise, after a flood of calls.

Some of those who heard it said the sound lasted a few seconds. The British Geological Survey had also said it was investigating the incident. There were reports of the noise being heard in Bath, Swindon, Coventry, Rugby and Oxford.
www.bbc.co.uk...

So according to 'ear witness' reports, THE boom lasted several seconds..
It seems it was also heard in several places..

Bath, Swindon and Oxford is a straight line.. so the plane could have been travelling in that direction.. but Coventry is an angled turn to the North and is easily a good 150 miles+ from Bath..

So this, to me, suggests the plane was flying around from/to Bath and Coventry..
Why the need to travel all that distance unless the helicopter report took time to get through as a false alarm..

Unless, that is, there is something else to this..
I find it hard to believe what they say... and just how easy is it to transmit on the emergency channel and get what your transmitting mistaken for an emergency????

something doesn't fly right, IMO...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thefamiliar
Normally I'd aggree PDUK but felt in this case that discussing it instantly as a conspiracy as opposed to an unknown event was going to get pretty silly pretty quick. went to the other thread and it was indeed "Highly speculative". Given that it happened over my own head I'd like to know what it was or could plausably have been

My thread pretty much pins it down according to the media reports.

Two jets intercept a helicopter that had 'accidently' used the hijacked frequency - thus intercepted at high speeds.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Just to add a bit more info as my brain is ticking over a few things..

Boom intensity is greatest directly under the flight path, progressively weakening with greater horizontal distance away from the aircraft flight track. Ground width of the boom exposure area is approximately 1 statute mile (1.6 km) for each 1,000 feet (300 m) of altitude (5 m/m); that is, an aircraft flying supersonic at 30,000 feet (9,100 m) will create a lateral boom spread of about 30 miles (48 km), or at 10,000 meters a spread of 50 kilometers. For steady supersonic flight, the boom is described as a carpet boom since it moves with the aircraft as it maintains supersonic speed and altitude.

Some maneuvers, diving, acceleration or turning, can cause focusing of the boom. Other maneuvers, such as deceleration and climbing, can reduce the strength of the shock. In some instances weather conditions can distort sonic booms.[1] Depending on the aircraft's altitude, sonic booms reach the ground two to 60 seconds after flyover. However, not all booms are heard at ground level. The speed of sound at any altitude is a function of air temperature. A decrease or increase in temperature results in a corresponding decrease or increase in sound speed.

Under standard atmospheric conditions, air temperature decreases with increased altitude. For example, when sea-level temperature is 59 degrees Fahrenheit (15 °C), the temperature at 30,000 feet (9,100 m) drops to minus 49 degrees Fahrenheit (−45 °C). This temperature gradient helps bend the sound waves upward. Therefore, for a boom to reach the ground, the aircraft speed relative to the ground must be greater than the speed of sound at the ground. For example, the speed of sound at 30,000 feet (9,100 m) is about 670 miles (1,080 km) per hour, but an aircraft must travel at least 750 miles (1,210 km) per hour (Mach 1.12, where Mach 1 equals the speed of sound) for a boom to be heard on the ground.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

So, what we don't know is the height the Typhoon was travelling.. or the exact direction.

According to the news, there was a 'boom' yet it seems nobody reported hearing the double boom.. someone, somewhere, must have heard this double boom.. Some, it seems, would have heard a single boom according to distance from the moving Typhoon aircraft.

Also, what type of emergency that an helicopter could have that would require the need for a Typhoon jet to interveen, except for a helicotper being under attack from another aircraft!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
We had a large bang in Warcop in Cumbria UK about 6 weeks ago. It literally shook the 3 foot thick walls and windows of the stone barn my apartment is in.

The whole of Appleby and surrounding areas heard it too.

Something was being tested on the ranges... however the official line from the MOD was it was a sonic boom

We've ALL heard Sonic booms up in Cumbria loads of times - Tornadoes & NATO jets of all descriptions regularly go over the area .............This was nothing like!

So it's interesting to hear what comes of this because everyone round here didn't beleive the MOD explanation for a second!!

I went outside expecting to see a plume of smoke where a bomb had gone off or a plane had crashed it was that loud an explosion.

We're used to hearing shells and artillery rounds being fired on the Army ranges, but this was completely different.

BTW I heard from a friend that the secret weapons testing grounds further north are definitely being used currently because they've been having lots of deliveries of supplies.
edit on 12-4-2012 by JB1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Last month there were a series of loud bangs emanating from the Israeli desert south of the Dead Sea which shook windows in Amman over 60 km away. I say bunker buster testing by US, UK, and Israel ahead of a campaign in Iran.

top topics

join