It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud bang across UK - MOD investigates.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOngoingJourney

I hear the lorries too, and being close to the train station the house often shakes. With this 'boom' there was no shaking (although others in Dunchurch have said their house shook) only a very loud and strong 'boom' sound.

There was also no sound or trace of any jets.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk...

From Swindon to Coventry, reports of walls/windows shaking and hearing this loud 'boom'... Yet no-one saw or heard the jets?

Twitter and Facebook are flooded with reports, yet nothing on seeing or hearing jets.
edit on 12-4-2012 by confused.kom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I live in Swindon. We heard it here and it was LOUD. People are reporting that their houses shook and some say they felt a shock wave, or movement in the ground. It did sound like a booming noise, I thought it sounded similar to an explosion or the sort of sound that an artillery or naval gun makes, but much louder. I was outside at the time, and the birds were going cary for 20 mins after the boom. For those of you not in the UK, Coventry is about 70-80 miles to our north as the crow flies. Surely, surely we wouldn't have heard a sonic boom from a typhoon this far away?? I've had reports from friends in Bristol and Portsmouth who say they heard it too.
MOD and friends will play this down for sure, but I'm certain there's more to this....

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
an interesting point that might be worth noting:

Before the MoD explained the cause, a number of organisations said they were investigating the origin of the sound.

Among them were Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service, which received a flood of calls, and the British Geological Survey.

The British Geological survey? Could just be incidental.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Indeed i quoted the BBC because I noticed the changing headlines and yes I'm aware that they may be in bias to the government, but maybe it was just a genuine incident and they're 'catching up' on the news.

Although it's odd that the MOD would have to investigate an incident that they should be fully aware of.

Its not that odd.

The people fielding press enquiries may not automatically know what happening at the sharp end on a minute to minute basis. 'Investigating' is likely to be the desk officer doing PR to be asking what is going on internally.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Exactly... it was an earthquake at first until they realised they had no data to back up an earthquake.

Residents, mainly in the Coventry area, said they had heard a gigantic bang which police initially suggested was down to a minor earth tremor. However, the British Geological Survey told Sky News it had no seismic records to indicate a tremor had struck.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by confused.kom

Just what I was thinking. be interesting to see if anyone saw/heard the jets at all, no ones come forward to back this theory up yet. As for what else it could be, I know most people will say HAARP is a bit far fetched but... I'm struggling to think of any Other alternatives. Definitely not an earthquake from where I was standing anyway

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I know I'm not offering any true feedback but the title made me grin.

I totally pictured an ATS Mod going out and trying to locate the source of the sound xD I was all ready to follow this thread

I still may, once I read it all.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Edit: Ignore, I had the wrong link.

My mistake.
edit on 12-4-2012 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What i find strange is,why would a fighter jet be scrambled for a helicopter emergency?

Maybe i am wrong but i would have imagined that rescue helicopters would have been used in such a scenario?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
What i find strange is,why would a fighter jet be scrambled for a helicopter emergency?

Maybe i am wrong but i would have imagined that rescue helicopters would have been used in such a scenario?

Rumours hint at it having been an emergency frequency associated with hijacking?

but i'm not sure of the standard response to that.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOngoingJourney
Some people on facebook are saying that it was Pluto entering Earth's atmosphere, but I don't know how they came to that conclusion!

Sounds like they'd love some of the threads around here...

Wow, even on here that'd seem insane anyway. Makes you wonder about the state of mind of the person starting that one off. Either ill or seriously high...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I find the idea of a sonic boom being heard in 4 counties a little strange, and some things on the BBC website don't add up for example

We watched for a while and then we saw this aircraft appear and it was a Typhoon but it was flying amazingly slow and we thought it was going to come down.

"It was doing really tight, slow circles and it suddenly put on full power and the noise was unbelievable, it was really blasting it out, and then it moved a bit further on and it did another slow turn. "My impression was that it was struggling to stay up but then he put on full power again and you just couldn't hear anything. "The noise was terrific, I imagine you could hear it for miles

Ok if a witness says he say the Typhoon, fine, but a Typhoon acting in this manner does not give off a sonic boom, it has to be travelling faster than the speed of sound to do that.

I know the typhoon is fast, but it aint being hear in 4 different counties at the same time, something seems fishy here, I believe there were typhoons scrambled but I doubt they made the large bang, there are restrictions on supersonic flight over residential areas, and an emergency signal from a helicopter is not going to scramble 2 Jet fighters

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

I know.... but all they need to do is put "Dave in Warwick said...."

and then just write whatever.... who is ever going to know.

Just like this now... they said it's sonic booms and that's the end of it... everyone is happy because we all know that jets make a sonic boom when breaking the sound barrier... so that's it.

But just because they DO... doesn't mean that's what happened here.

Oh well.
edit on 12/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by scobro

Rumours hint at it having been an emergency frequency associated with hijacking?

but i'm not sure of the standard response to that.

After 9/11 they enacted a bunch of anti-highjacking procedures.

One is for the pilots to switch to a set freq if they are highjacked, but to keep speaking normally so as not to warn the highjackers that the alarm has been raised.

This explanation makes perfect sense, a sonic boom from 2 jets would be louder and longer than 1 jet.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
ya i'm going down the sonic boom theory ..a jet going faster than 750 miles an hour would continuously produce air-pressure waves ....continually generating shock waves, dropping sonic booms along its flight path

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I heard it. it was about 6pm. Sounded like something had blown up in town ( Banbury). Never heard a sonic boom before. It was loud and almost felt the rumble.
edit on 12-4-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sitchin
ya i'm going down the sonic boom theory ..a jet going faster than 750 miles an hour would continuously produce air-pressure waves ....continually generating shock waves, dropping sonic booms along its flight path

Question from an aviation thicky here....when a plane produces a sonic boom, does it, as you imply in your comment, make booms throught the journey that it is doing 750 mph for? For some stupid reason i though it just did one.
Just never heard of a jet making numerous booms.

CX.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by confused.kom
reply to post by mr-lizard

Yes it'll be interesting to find out the route and location of take off

RAF Coningsby Lincolnshire. All monitored and witnessed by aircraft enthusiasts. I'n the last hour I've just monitored on the radio one of the Typhoons scrambled for the incident landing at RAF Coningsby. After the incident the two Typhoons turned the mission into a practice session and worked with a VC-10 tanker out of Brize Norton.

See following post and other posts on that thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-4-2012 by tommyjo because: Additional info added

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dave749
I live in Swindon. We heard it here and it was LOUD. People are reporting that their houses shook and some say they felt a shock wave, or movement in the ground. It did sound like a booming noise, I thought it sounded similar to an explosion or the sort of sound that an artillery or naval gun makes, but much louder. I was outside at the time, and the birds were going cary for 20 mins after the boom. For those of you not in the UK, Coventry is about 70-80 miles to our north as the crow flies. Surely, surely we wouldn't have heard a sonic boom from a typhoon this far away?? I've had reports from friends in Bristol and Portsmouth who say they heard it too.
MOD and friends will play this down for sure, but I'm certain there's more to this....

I am also near Swindon and there are reports from North Devon, Oxfordshire to West Midlands. It was at least as loud as a sonic boom though felt more earth generated if that makes sense.

I don't believe the typhoons scrambled from Lincs for a civilian helicopter in Bath that pressed a button, surely there are better ways, like radio, radar and other sky patrols before fast response units flying under resourced high cost missions are actioned, there are levels of response and for a panic button on helicopter this isn't first response, this is major threat level response.
edit on 12-4-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join