It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud bang across UK - MOD investigates.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

The Ministry of Defence is investigating reports of a loud bang that has been heard across a large part of England.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service also said they were looking into what caused the mysterious noise heard at about 18:10 BST.

Reports have come from across the West Midlands, Warwickshire and Oxfordshire.

One Coventry resident said his house shook. "I thought somebody had thrown a brick through the window," he said.

The MoD said it was looking into reports of a loud bang in Oxfordshire.

There were reports of the noise being heard from as far apart as Bath, Swindon, Coventry, Rugby and Oxford.

Interesting, have any of our UK members heard this? I did a search but couldn't find a thread.

I must say I heard nothing, but then again I'm not close to Oxfordshire.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Okay, so I've just spoken to a friend online and he's just said the following:

'Massive bang heard in central England
people even 30-40 miles away heard it
Some people saying following it was an 8 minute rumble, and various sightings of a black jet'

(He lives close to me in the north west)

Also it's being discussed on 4 chan:

boards.4chan.org...

--

I know 4chan isn't exactly the trustiest source but it at least confirms that something has been heard with chatter about RAF jets intercepting 'something'?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Loads of uni friends have heard it,

no idea what it was at the moment, Birmingham Air Traffic control have ruled it out being a sonic boom though.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
BBC just updated:

The MoD revealed it was from a Typhoon responding to an emergency call.

Hmm?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
i know RAF croughton in northamptonshire is a pretty active u.s air force 422nd air base group i think

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

i would not be surprised with all the earthquakes and booming sounds in the u.s.a that the u.k would also be going threw the same scenarios as we are
i remember a couple of months ago i was out side and i kept hearing what sound like a plane it lasted for 30mins then would shut off like a switch and the 10 mins later start up again and then behind the noise sound like small explosion /gunfire.
so i called a friend of mine who lived 20 miles away and said after he sat out side for about 45mins he also was hearing the same sound and he said when it stoped it sound like it gave off an echo .
oh and yes forcast was clear no storms that night . loxahatchee FL and i havnt herd it since
nice find i will be following

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
BBC headline has now changed to

Typhoon sonic boom behind mysterious bang reports - MoD
A loud bang which sparked a deluge of calls to emergency services across a large part of England was a sonic boom from a Typhoon aircraft, the MoD said.

Rumours are divided between the Typhoon intercepting a rogue craft or responding to an emergency -

and damn, the BBC just changed / updated again

The Ministry of Defence initially said it was investigating what was behind a loud noise in Oxfordshire but a spokesman later confirmed it was from one of two RAF Typhoons that had been launched following an emergency call from a helicopter.

The helicopter had transmitted on the wrong frequency, he said.

Interesting!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Yeah someone I know heard it in Brum, said it sounded like a cross between earthquake and gunfire, the room shook and so on.
Their friend joked that it was the NK Missile...

But yes, lots of people seem to have heard it and there a re a few threads on ATS now.

So hmmmm

Should be interesting

edit on 12/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Funny thing is I'm IN Oxfordshire and heard nowt...

I thought it was more up Midlands way...

Brum, Cov, Daventry etc...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
www.birminghampost.net... 8420/

However the MoD later confirmed the bang was caused by the jets responding to an emergency signal from a helicopter. The emergency turned out to be a false alarm.

www.independent.co.uk...

www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'm in south Brum, didn't hear it my self.

Quite amusing there's 4 threads on it.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
I'm in south Brum, didn't hear it my self.

Quite amusing there's 4 threads on it.

I did a search and found nothing.... I typed in the BBC headline too.

Good to see we're on the ball though eh?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
You won't get much from the BBC, they're a state-owned news service that changes according to what the government and agencies think should be the best story. It's also why you'll often see their stories changing as the hours pass if they've let too much info through, I think MI5 or MI6 might dictate that to a certain degree, maybe in the same way that the CIA, NSA, etc, will have stories altered in the USA, and other agencies around the world the same with thier own news services, etc.

You're best using other sources.

edit : maybe I'm being harsh here and they're updating as they find out the real story, but I think it's pretty clear that it happens in many cases. Had the BBC for quite a while as my news + soccer bookmarks and recently changed them to The Guardian, which seems a lot better.
edit on 12-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I'm right in the centre of Rugby and heard it loud and clear. Others in the area reported their windows shaking etc.

I'm really not buying the Jet story, earlier the BBC reported that MoD were investigating the matter and had no explanation.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Indeed i quoted the BBC because I noticed the changing headlines and yes I'm aware that they may be in bias to the government, but maybe it was just a genuine incident and they're 'catching up' on the news.

Although it's odd that the MOD would have to investigate an incident that they should be fully aware of.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Indeed i quoted the BBC because I noticed the changing headlines and yes I'm aware that they may be in bias to the government, but maybe it was just a genuine incident and they're 'catching up' on the news.

Although it's odd that the MOD would have to investigate an incident that they should be fully aware of.

Yeah I just saw it on The Guardian and I still wonder if there's something else going on....at the end of the day all they're doing is reporting what the MoD is saying, which could be completely false...

A loud bang heard across the Midlands was caused by two Typhoon jets responding to an emergency, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The aircraft were responding to an emergency signal coming from a small civilian helicopter, which could indicate it had been hijacked or 'gone rogue', said an MoD spokesman. During the incident one of Royal Airforce Typhoon's emitted a sonic boom that shook houses in Coventry, Rugby and Leamington.

The MoD response was standard procedure and the emergency signal from the helicopter turned out to be a false alarm, the spokesman added.

Typhoon jets caused loud bang that shook houses in Midlands

Gotta admit though I could imagine this thing causing quite a bit of noise!

edit on 12-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Would it be considered normal to hear a sonic boom over two to three counties?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by confused.kom
Would it be considered normal to hear a sonic boom over two to three counties?

Possibly, as the sonic boom 'remains' behind the plane in a cone shape (so I believe) , so if we could trace the plane's route then maybe we could see where it was heard and see if it tallies up?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Yes it'll be interesting to find out the route and location of take off

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by confused.kom
I'm right in the centre of Rugby and heard it loud and clear. Others in the area reported their windows shaking etc.

I'm really not buying the Jet story, earlier the BBC reported that MoD were investigating the matter and had no explanation.

I'm in Rugby too and I heard it, although at the time I thought nothing of it as the house normally shakes from time to time from Lorries passing the house. Now with hindsight I can see that it was a lot stronger than the normal shakes I experience.

I don't buy the sonic boom theory either, although I have no come back as to what I think it could be. Some people on facebook are saying that it was Pluto entering Earth's atmosphere, but I don't know how they came to that conclusion!

Interesting Stuff!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join