It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JSF/F-35 on public display ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I live in Virginia Beach, and last night I went with a friend to the airshow being held at NAS Oceana all weekend long. When we left after the last event, it was pretty dark, but Istillmanaged to see one plane in the corner I SOMEHOW walked right by earlier. Lo and behold, its a freakin' JSF/F-35 parked right on the concrete with signage around and a flimsy little chain protecting it. After geeking out more than one should in front of a girl, I calmed down and thought to myself "its just a life size model to impress the crowd". On closer inspection, I noticed the engine outlet had its cover in place (couldn't see into intakes, it was pretty dark). My question is, how many working prototypes were built that Lockheed doesn't mind flying one around to airshows? Unless they move it in a transport plane.... Anyhoo, I forgot to even ask my friend if she had a camera on her...But I think the show is still going on tomorrow If anyone local would like to check it out.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
You probably saw one of the X-35 prototypes. I believe one (the Navy model) is kept at NAS Patuxent River in Maryland, so that may be what you saw. The X-35s are no longer flying since they are not representative of the production aircraft. The first of 14 F-35 test models of is due to make its first flight in 2006.

[edit on 26-9-2004 by aerospaceweb]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It was acually a model. It was at oceana last year and Langely this summer. I know this because first off their wasnt a bump to indicate it could lift off vertically (all the x-35's do) and if it was the F-35 armed guards would have surrounded it to protect the stealth, while there were none. In fact I saw a bunch of boy scouts inside the bombay and were touching it all around. Besides no real F-35's have yet to be built.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
That is very likely since there are multiple full-scale mock-ups of the F-35 floating around. I've seen one on display outside Lockheed Martin's plant in Fort Worth.

new topics

top topics

join