It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blasting sound heard around coventry

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by noface

Can you provide a link to your source please? Nothing on the BBC news site yet.

Please don't take offence either, this isn't one of those, "I don't believe you, where's your proof, pics or it didn't happen" requests, I honestly want to read up on it

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'm just going by Coventry local radio. Apparently they were scrambled (QRA??) because a helicopter pressed an emergency button. I have no idea what that means. It all seems a bit odd to me.

link   
Apparently, 2 typhoons reasonding to an emergency signal from a helicopter indicating it had been hyjacked. This was then established as a false alarm. But they must of had to get a "wiggle on" as you so rightly put it.

www.itv.com...

link   

Originally posted by noface
MOD just confirmed it was sonic boom caused by two RAF Typhoons.

I certainly wouldn't believe that, I attend airshows al the time and live near air bases, I know the sound of sonic booms and they wouldn't be heard in Coventry, Somerset, Oxfordshire and Warwickshire at the same time....these planes are around often enough to know the sound and we would all be used to it....

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Olympic practise anyone ???

Simulated hijack, attack on air transport going to the Games ??

We will probably never know......

Just for Info...where are Typhoons based these days ??

PDUK

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Does anyone have a video or sound recording of the sound? With so many people reporting it hopefully something will come out. These "sounds" are becoming pretty common around the world. The fact this is happening on every continent and none of our governments are saying anything has me really concerned. They must know something is up or even worse have no idea what it is. One thing for sure is it is REAL and it is HAPPENING world wide!!!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
considering it was heard in cov & bath at the same time I find it hard to belive it was a sonic boom

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kamatty
considering it was heard in cov & bath at the same time I find it hard to belive it was a sonic boom

I agree with you......... Sonic booms are not carried that far...

PDUK

link   

Originally posted by davesmart
on the news
6.6 earthquake
in herefordshire
bbc website

holy crap really?

thats quite a big one for these parts!!

eeek

We better not get some tornados too, those better stay in the USA

news.bbc.co.uk... *EDIT*
edit on 12-4-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

link   
Just thought I'd add this...

BBC News

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

PDUK

yeh agreed
dont forget
20,000 officers for the olympics
and also sams place around (surface to air missiles)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Here's some info...interesting ......

Sonic Booms.....

Perception and noise

The sound of a sonic boom depends largely on the distance between the observer and the aircraft shape producing the sonic boom. A sonic boom is usually heard as a deep double "boom" as the aircraft is usually some distance away. However, as those who have witnessed landings of space shuttles have heard, when the aircraft is nearby the sonic boom is a sharper "bang" or "crack". The sound is much like the "aerial bombs" used at firework displays. It is a common misconception that only "one" boom is generated during the subsonic to supersonic transition, rather, the boom is continuous along the boom carpet for the entire supersonic flight. As a former Concorde pilot puts it, "You don't actually hear anything on board. All we see is the pressure wave moving down the aeroplane - it gives an indication on the instruments. And that's what we see around Mach 1. But we don't hear the sonic boom or anything like that. That's rather like the wake of ship - it's behind us.".[4]

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

PDUK

Lincolnshire, and are recently being ''canibalised' for parts to enable an active fleet....so possibly thin on the ground.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Depends how far the aircraft travelled, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the "sonic boom" is present the whole time the aircraft is supersonic.

Edit: I wrote this before your last post, lol, good searching.
edit on 12/4/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Here's some info...interesting ......

Sonic Booms.....

Perception and noise

The sound of a sonic boom depends largely on the distance between the observer and the aircraft shape producing the sonic boom. A sonic boom is usually heard as a deep double "boom" as the aircraft is usually some distance away. However, as those who have witnessed landings of space shuttles have heard, when the aircraft is nearby the sonic boom is a sharper "bang" or "crack". The sound is much like the "aerial bombs" used at firework displays. It is a common misconception that only "one" boom is generated during the subsonic to supersonic transition, rather, the boom is continuous along the boom carpet for the entire supersonic flight. As a former Concorde pilot puts it, "You don't actually hear anything on board. All we see is the pressure wave moving down the aeroplane - it gives an indication on the instruments. And that's what we see around Mach 1. But we don't hear the sonic boom or anything like that. That's rather like the wake of ship - it's behind us.".[4]

I am used to hearing sonic booms but this didn't feel like it, I am pretty sensitive and would recognise it. The floor walls sort of shook.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Hey all, I heard military jets go over my house not sure what time it was though, maybe around 5pm BST.
I live in east yorkshire if that helps.

Edit [ Didn't sound like they where hitting the sound barrier,when they went over. Also im on the opposite side of the Humber Estuary to Lincolnshire where theres a base i think.]
edit on 12/4/12 by Obsidian303 because: Adding a lil more

link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

related perhaps?

link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Depends how far the aircraft travelled, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the "sonic boom" is present the whole time the aircraft is supersonic.

Edit: I wrote this before your last post, lol, good searching.
edit on 12/4/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

I believe your correct. The sonic boom follows the aircraft while it is supersonic.

link   
I live just outside Coventry and didn't hear this :-(. I was too busy playing warcraft! Strange how people as far as Oxfordshire have heard this! It's also on the bbc site. I only found out about this from my friends on facebook.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I have to say it did sound very similar to this.

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join