It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap Alternative to a Gun Safe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
While I have no kids at the house, I do have friends who will visit, that have small children.

Naturally, I want to be sure that any guns we have stay out of their inquisitive hands. (I actually have an uncle I never got to meet, as he died when young, due to playing around with firearms).

I was looking at gun safes, but really, this was way more than I needed. For one thing, when there aren't kids around, I want to be able to access them quickly. For another, I just need to keep the kiddies out, I don't need something that can stand up to hours of determined attempt.

So, my solution was this. I put up a rack in my walk-in closet, and then just got an actual exterior type locking doorknob instead of the standard interior doorknob.

Inexpensive, will keep the kids out, and when they aren't there, I can keep it unlocked. Much better than spending hundreds on a gun safe, or messing about with gun locks, etc.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
You can get a "gun cabinet" which is basically a sheet metal closet that locks.

No real burglar protection but enough curious minds protection.

They run a couple hundred bucks.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Yea, I guess it makes sense to go with the cheap alternative when thinking of kids and gun safety.

Cheap alternatives all the way.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Cheap but still safe. That closet door is sturdy, it isn't the normal flimsy type, and it's an actual door.
$25 for a locking doorknob versus a couple hundred for a cabinet.

The initial defense is that I don't expect any visiting kids to go into my bedroom closet, but just in case, they'll find it locked. If I had any doubt that this would safely keep them out, I'd have no issue spending more, but I know it'd keep me out without a key, so I'm pretty confident.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
My gun stays under my pillow

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I saw an article on Survival Blog about using old pop machines. Tear the guts out and use the electronics to plug in a dehumidifier. I thought that was a pretty original idea.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
Yea, I guess it makes sense to go with the cheap alternative when thinking of kids and gun safety.

Cheap alternatives all the way.

What, exactly, is wrong with the cheaper alternative when the outcome is the same? A locked closet will keep children away from the guns just as effectively as a locked gun safe.

Additionally, the closet solution meets the OP's requirements better than a safe. I fail to see how spending less money equates to child endangerment.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I have 3 kids ranging from 1-10 all I have ever used is a closet with a heavy duty lockin my bedroom. I dont really see a problem with it, as long as the door is solid. My house is 110yrs old or so and the closet doors are huge I would have a hard time without a key. Its certainly a lot safer than the way my father stored his when I was a kid..

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Not for Nothing
this is the best
deal on the net Executive Safe

doesn't cost an arm & leg...
bolt it down in a corner ...all good

better than a cabinet
& won't break the bank

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Great idea yes, but I thought the point of a gun safe was to protect your weapons from a fire and theft.....

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I use a closet safe, and have practiced opening the combination lock so I can get it open in seconds. It stays in the top shelf of my bedroom closet. Considering the fact that I have two dogs that would go nuts if someone came in the house uninvited - I think I'll have plenty of warning if, God forbid, I ever have to get my gun quickly.

I think sleeping with a gun under your pillow is, well, ultra-paranoid and not safe. I imagine anyone who wants their gun that accessible has one in the chamber too...scary. Imagine what a night of angry lovin' could do.. =|

I do have kids in the home, however. If I didn't I agree that a locked closet would be plenty safe when company came around.

edit on 12-4-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

My main goal is just to keep them out of the hands of kids.

If there's a fire, replacing guns will be the LEAST of my worries. In the case of theft, you'd actually have to slide clothes out of the way, to even know they are there. So chances are, a thief won't even see them.

Now, knowing they are there, it just takes a second to slide the clothes over and access them, but for a stranger, they'd likely completely miss them. Like the above poster, my dogs would be a pretty good alarm, as would the Cockatoo (that bird is another story....)

this is the best
deal on the net Executive Safe

That actually is quite a deal.

edit on 12-4-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I was inspired by this item last year and decided to use the same principles to build my own version of it.

I built a similar sized box out of 3/4 Birch and reinforced all edges and corners with aluminum angle.

Built a sliding drawer insert using full depth cabinet slides and then installed a Simplex pushbutton mechanical lock www.locksmithtoolandsupply.com... I was good to go. I keep it anchored to my bed frame with heavy gauge cable and padlock.

It provides me with a quick access to my shotgun handgun and extra ammo. At the very back of the drawer I am able to store my 10/22 comfortably. It keeps the kids out and will slow down a burglar just enough to be a pain in the ass. My main motivator was to provide controlled safe quick access with the kids in the house.

For multiple guns, I like the notion mentioned in the OP for turning a closet into locked storage. Replace the standard door with a steel entry door, pop in a good dead bolt and you've got a decent secure space. Even better if the door is an out swinging door. (Harder to kick in)
edit on 12-4-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Not a bad idea but for the work involved and cash spent, one of these here or here I think would be better.
Safes have come to a point where anyone can afford them.
These are not top of the line but will keep the honest people honest and will deter even some of the dishonest.

And if you have no long guns, then your predicament got much easier err cheaper to fix!

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I have purchase one cheap gun safe fromgunsafeguide.org.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I bought an old school locker at a yard sale for $5. I painted it black and installed a hasp and padlock.
The locker is bolted to a wall through the inside.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I have the "gun cabinet".

My problem is weight as i live in a 34 foot RV.

I am pushing the weight limit with the holding tanks empty and only a half tank of fresh water.

I have alarm to limit the time they have to open the "gun cabinet" and security cameras to identified them.

I also have one gun hidden incase they do get the others because i what something to go "hunting" with.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Replace the standard door with a steel entry door, pop in a good dead bolt and you've got a decent secure space. Even better if the door is an out swinging doo - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nice idea on the door, but for the money, should likely just go to a safe. I do love the dead bolt idea though, except that it advertises something of value is in there. The door does swing out already. (and I do have long guns). If just handguns, I have a safe that would work fine for them.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

I imagine anyone who wants their gun that accessible has one in the chamber too...scary.

I'm far more worried about people with guns that think 'one in the chamber' is scary. I don't think you actually own a gun. If you do, you shouldn't. Not kidding.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Why doesn't someone invent eye, thumb print, or voice activated gun cabinets, for quick access?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join