It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Nail polish contains dangerous chemicals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Study: Nail polish contains dangerous chemicals

www.gateschilipost.com

According to the California Department of Toxic Substances, long-term exposure to these chemicals could cause cancer and birth defects.

Some nail polish companies do not list the chemicals on their labels. Health officials are trying to change that by requiring all manufacturers to disclose what's in their products.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
First, no idea what news outlet that is, but the article quotes the original AP article.

Also, it goes on to say most people should be fine and that it is salon workers they are most concerned about.

Just thought it would be interesting to the females (any especially pregnant members) on the site.

www.gateschilipost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

The sad part is people need to read this from some journalistic source instead of just intuitively knowing it.

Yes, putting paint on your body, with harsh smells that burn your eyes and lungs, and that dries hard enough to be practically bullet-proof, and stays on your body for weeks before chipping off, is probably a bad idea. Chemicals capable of doing what nail polish does, that smell the way nail polish smells, are probably bad for you.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

This article is too vague. What chemicals are they discussing? You can buy many 3 free brands of nail polish as well as organic nail polish. Sparitual comes to mind, Butter is 3 free as well.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Your nose is a great way of determining if a chemical is harmful.

When you walk into a bathroom where someone is painting their fingernails, you should instantly know, this is some really foul stuff.

Seriously, it makes me ill to even be in the same part of the house with fingernail polish being applied.

Ladies, you don't have to poison yourselves! Your fingernails are sexy enough in natural form in my opinion!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Mind you...

Still beats the days when women slapped lead on their face for eyeshadow.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
Your nose is a great way of determining if a chemical is harmful.

When you walk into a bathroom where someone is painting their fingernails, you should instantly know, this is some really foul stuff.

Seriously, it makes me ill to even be in the same part of the house with fingernail polish being applied.

Ladies, you don't have to poison yourselves! Your fingernails are sexy enough in natural form in my opinion!

Yea, and about those salons, have you ever sat in one?

I did while my daughter had hers done, I had to go outside to get air.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Sure, stop going to cheap salons. I've been to plenty of nail salons that didn't smell like chemical death, but they also didn't do acrylic nails in store.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

No way! You live longer than us men anyway, so take one for the team and keep putting that poison on your nails.

J/K, everything women do to become sexier is just for other women anyway. Men don't notice all the intricate details you put into yourselves and you know it. You do that so the other women will be jealous. All you have to do for the men is show a little abdomen, thigh, or cleavage........ or make us a sandwich.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Yes, putting paint on your body, with harsh smells that burn your eyes and lungs, and that dries hard enough to be practically bullet-proof, and stays on your body for weeks before chipping off, is probably a bad idea

Common sense seems to be a thing of the past!

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as far as toxic and dangerous houshold chemicals. Would you like to know the cause of cancer? Cancer is caused by genetic mutations. The chemical industry has gladly provided a full range of genetic mutagens disguised as products that make our lives easier and more pleasant.

Aldrich, Dow, Bear.....thanks for nothing!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Sure, stop going to cheap salons. I've been to plenty of nail salons that didn't smell like chemical death, but they also didn't do acrylic nails in store.

Cheep? lol

Yea I think the one she goes to at the mall is not so bad, the one here in the neighborhood I guess would be considered cheap, but I couldn't afford that kind of pampering, even at the cheap one, and then there is the tip, forget about it, I will keep doing mine once every ten years, lol

Now this reminds me of a topic I wanted to start on how many products women use on themselves everyday,
shampoo,
deodorant,
makeup,
cream rinse,body scrub, facial scrub,
Then there is the list of hair products,
hair spray and gels,

then we need the perfume.

What did I forget?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Now if that aint a fine "Howdy-Do"
My nails need redoing!
Is there "nothing" (word of the day) that won't hurt you in anything?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

MY husband never did like me to wear make up, he always called me his Cinnamon girl, I never wore much, now at 62 I still see a little glimmer in his eye,

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by grumpydaysleeper
Now if that aint a fine "Howdy-Do"
My nails need redoing!
Is there "nothing" (word of the day) that won't hurt you in anything?

NO, life is a death sentence, sorry to be such a downer.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by getreadyalready

MY husband never did like me to wear make up, he always called me his Cinnamon girl, I never wore much, now at 62 I still see a little glimmer in his eye,

I agree with him. My wife looks so much better without makeup. She has a bunch of freckles, but she also tans very easily. Dark skin and cute freckles, a couple of little laugh lines around her green eyes, and then catching her staring off in some other direction where I get a chance to admire her profile, face, and neck without her becoming self-conscious will never cease to excite me.

She still gets her nails done, and she still puts on eyelash extensions, and she still wears makeup and evil shoes anytime we go out, but she never looks better than when she wakes up in the morning and sips coffee looking out the window in a t-shirt. All that other fluff is just to show off for the other girls.

Of course, all that other fluff gets me attention from the other girls too, because I pay for it!
Every single gal wants to be pampered like her, so I don't mind her showing off a little when we go out, it gets me a lot of dances!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

This is not news to most women. We are aware that all cosmetics have harmful chemicals, but we make our peace with that in exchange for not looking like some mutant being when we leave the house every day

At least they don't have lead in them anymore.

Even shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, deodorant have nasties in them that can cause cancer.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Unintentional huffing. Years ago I wondered why painters I hired seemed a little "off". It's called painters syndrome.

Over time these people, as well as those working in poorly ventilated nail salons, can develop a condition known as "painter syndrome." This is a permanent condition that causes walking problems, speech problems, and memory loss. Painter syndrome may also be called organic solvent syndrome, psychoorganic syndrome, and chronic solvent encephalopathy (CSE). CSE can also cause nonspecific symptoms, such as headache, fatigue, mood disturbances, sleep disorders, and possible behavioral changes. Sudden death is possible in some nail polish poisoning cases.

Nail polish poisoning

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
thought people would have been aware of this.

the remover isn't too good for you either btw

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
double
edit on 12-4-2012 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

No joke!!! I know several guys who painted for over thirty years, and I can honestly say these guys have suffered fairly severe brain damage.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join