It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bits of the Future: First Universal Quantum Network Prototype Links 2 Separate Labs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
www.scientificamerican.com...

The network features two all-purpose nodes that can send, receive and store quantum information, linked by a fiber-optic cable that carries it from one node to another on a single photon.

The network is only a prototype, but if it can be refined and scaled up, it could form the basis of communication channels for relaying quantum information.

Because each node can perform a variety of functions— sending, receiving or storing quantum information—a network based on atoms in optical cavities could be scaled up simply by connecting more all-purpose nodes.

Everyday we come closer and closer to quantum computing it seems. Now here we have quantum ethernet...

Twenty years ago we had dial-up. Now we have fiber optics. I can't even imagine what my grandkids will be surfing with...

It's a two page article, but my phone won't show the whole thing. Sorry for any omitions. Pretty interesting.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I thought from the title that they had developed a method using quantum physics to transmit data, but this is still incredibly awesome!

It fills me with joy and hope that even though I focus a lot on the doom and gloom that there are still people making incredible leaps in science like this.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

This is one of those kind of threads which get missed because there aren't enough titles listed in the Recent Posts list on New Topics. It may be one of the most important science news items of the year, or at least the week. Or right now in any case! I've long been saying that the ultimate computer will consist of gas in a very tiny unbreakable glass container.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Actually, I know there is some physics research going beyond even that. My old professor was working on a new method using an A-dipole field (a field created by an object that simultaneously an electret and a magnet) that would literally quantum compute using a pure field.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

This is one of those kind of threads which get missed because there aren't enough titles listed in the Recent Posts list on New Topics. It may be one of the most important science news items of the year, or at least the week. Or right now in any case! I've long been saying that the ultimate computer will consist of gas in a very tiny unbreakable glass container.

Eh, not everyone gets excited about the technology... Some just wonder if it has a facebook app.

Still though, out of all the near-breakthroughs in the last year, at least one seems to be viable as tested.

Pretty neat though. We really are close to quantum data storage/retrieval/transport. This is the third related article I have come across this year.

Anywho...

We'll see what happens twenty years from now. We will look back and laugh that we even clocked computers in gigahertz and measured ethernet speed in bits per second.

new topics

top topics

join