It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Hurricanes in 6 Weeks!!!

page: 1

join
share:
IBM

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I have never seen this amount of hurricanes in such a short time period. With Jeanne about to hit the Florida coast in the next few hours this will be the fourth hurricane this season. Is there something major causing this change? Is the earth's magnetic field about to change? Or is it a once every 100 year season? There has to be an underlying cause for all of this.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
1500 were left for dead when Jeane hit Sri Lanka hard and Haiti causing widespread flooding. Aid services are already being set up in Canada.

anyways this should put things in perspective....

www.weather.com...

In the last 44 years, only 1961 witnessed more major hurricanes in the Atlantic Basin. There were seven major hurricanes that year. The most major hurricanes ever recorded in one season occurred in 1950: five Category 3s, two Category 4s and one Category 5. Incredibly, Jeanne will be the fourth hurricane to impact the state of Florida this season, and the fifth named storm to do so.

IBM

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Wow 1950 was a really bad year a category 5!!, man this season is not yet over, but we can hope for the victims. They need to evacuate and stop riding out the storm as Gov. Bush has said.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It could deal with Global Warming. Same thing to do with the sheets melting off in Antartica. It's a really serious matter that needs to be looked into. Instead, we're worrying about other issues like the war on terrorism and homeland securtiy. I know that we need to worry about today more than tomorrow...but this is still a very serious problem that will cause hell in the future if we don't do something about it now

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'd think it's just the law of averages...yes, I'm saying "we're due", but, hey, that's the way Mother Nature works, sorry to say. I feel for those getting hit so hard, heck, I have a cousin in Miami.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Well, first of all, isn'r Sri Lanka on the other side of the world?

Also: There are lots of hurricanes of intense magnitude every year, but the Bermuda High usually steers these storms into the north atlantic and far away from shore (or more accurately, the lack of a strong Bermuda High). this year, though, the High is very strong and is steering the storms right up through the channel into the Gulf and Florida area, thus many more storms hit. It's a cycle of nature.

whyfiles.larc.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by everlastingnoitall
Well, first of all, isn'r Sri Lanka on the other side of the world?

Yes, it is. Sri Lanka is an island country off the coast of India. I think the poster meant to say Haiti and the Dominican Republic, which share the island of Hispainola, which Hurricane Jeanne promptly ravaged before hitting the U.S.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You all's might think im crazy when i say this, but im thinkin about going down to florida, and in the south, just to experience what its like to be in a hurricane...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Last time any state had 4 hurricanes in a season was in 1886, Texas...

agent23212: it's a lot of rain, a lot of wind, and your power almost ALWAYS goes out, leaving you to swelter in FL's heat and humidity when it's over... and that's if you're LUCKY to not have suffered damage, hehe....(I'm in Tampa Bay myself, so we've seen effects from 3 of the 4 storms).

I'll be posting some pics of local damage (all within a couple blocks of my house) this week.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Last time any state had 4 hurricanes in a season was in 1886, Texas...

Which is why it's hilarious when this year's busy hurricane season is blamed on "global warming"... Is it also responsible for the 1886 hurricane season?

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Until we started getting hit, seemed like the slowest hurricane season ever...only in the C's in late July???

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Until we started getting hit, seemed like the slowest hurricane season ever...only in the C's in late July???

Well, the temperature has to be just right for hurricanes to form... if the water is too cool or too hot, it will impede their growth.

This has been one of the coolest summers in U.S. history, so the water temperature, which is normally quite high in July, was likely perfect... just like it was in 1886!

new topics

top topics

join