It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. priests accused in 700 sex cases in 2011: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

U.S. priests accused in 700 sex cases in 2011: report

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON — About 700 people launched new claims of sexual abuse against Catholic clergy in the United States last year, including 21 who are still minors, according to a new report released by US bishops.

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops said in the report released Tuesday that of the 683 adults who reported allegations for the first time, “most allegations reported today are of incidents from previous decades.”

Sixty-eight percent of the complaints relate to events that took place between 1960 and 1984 — the majority from 1975 to 1979, the report says.

Many
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
What is the world coming to when religious icons can't even live their own lives without tarnishing the good name of the church (Cough cough), Not only that but 21 of the victims were "still minors" It is unacceptable for a priest in a position of power to even be able to continue with their job after displaying such sickening conduct.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I went to a seminary when I was a young boy. My brother was attending there. My parents were so proud of him and basically forced him into the school. After a short time at the family day event one of the boys in the school offered to show me around. I was taken to the bunk area where they all slept in a big room similar to boot camp. The boy showed me a magazine and offered to have sex with me. I was about 10 years old.

Long story short, my brother was at the school for about a year before he was kicked out. When he came home he tried to have sex with me. This was what he learned at the seminary. It was common practice for the priests and students to have sex. That was back in the late 70's.

It is no surprise to me when I hear about a priest abusing a child. Those that go unreported far outnumber those that are reported.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Then of course there is the Pope. He spent most of his career covering up this abuse. He did so well and dug up so much dirt on his contempories that they had no choice but to make him Pope. Then there is his start in life with the Nazis. Nice guy. God would be pleased. Jesus is pissed.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by onecraftydude

Not a story anyone wants to hear really is it

It's truly sick the things the catholic church get up too without peoples knowledge.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The trouble I have with the whole idea of the Roman Catholic Church, is that it focuses attention away from God, and toward the flawed human being (as are we all) who speaks on his behalf. For a start, the teachings of Jesus put forward that no one comes to God, except those who go through Jesus. There is no mention in the bible of trusting a human being to be a middle man between a worshiper and our Lord Jesus Christ, and also no mention of starting a cult which puts power in the hands of men, who act in a manner which tarnishes the word and name of God in the sight of his people.

And yet, that is the entire basis of the Roman cult. You must look no further than the fact that the current pope was responsible for "dealing" with sicko priests, and did no where near enough to ensure that they met justice, moving them to other parishes, just as had been done by those who came before him, to see the evidence for yourself. These men should have had thier heads on sticks, and thier other heads, on other sticks if you get my drift, quicker than you can say abuse of position. And yet there are STILL accusations, and STILL victims comming out of the wood work, and still vile scum dressed as men of God, performing sexual acts on children even now.

Obviously, child molestation is not a problem which affects the Catholic clergy alone, and can be found in various cultures, and communities, but it is rare for an organisation to be as utterly unwilling to turn a person who performs sickening acts against minors over to the authorities, as the Roman Catholic Church has been.

I believe in God, but I have no respect for a Church which not only fails to deal with, but has actively prevented child molesters from facing justice. Vengence may belong to God, but the failiure to turn these sickos over to the police in a timely manner, has endangered so many children, that it must surely represent a failiure of the duty of care that the Roman Catholic Church has to its parishoners and those under its care in childrens homes over the years. It cannot be allowed to continue.

As people who (falsely in my opinion) claim to be representatives of God and Jesus, the clergy of ANY Christian church organisation MUST be held to a higher standard of morality and desire to protect the weak, than are regular folk. It is after all part of thier job, as believers in God, let alone self appointed standard bearers for his followers on Earth. Since it is obvious that the Roman Catholic Church in particular refuses to do an adequate job of holding its clergy to account for thier obvious sins, perhaps the clergy should be subjected to twenty four hour scrutiny, by independant groups?

Whatever the solution, the time is long past for this matter to be resolved with finality, and it is disgusting that it has taken this long, let alone that there is evidence of CONTINUING harm being done to the future of the world, the children.

As another concern linked to this issue, the behavior of the Church, and of the priests involved, is a surefire way to turn people from thier faith in God, or to prevent a person from ever attaining any. Although in reality this is a secondary concern (as it should be to anyone who cares a damn about the victims), it is none the less a concern in times which see faithless behaviour as a norm rather than as a shock.

In all particulars these sick criminals have wronged the people they are given to protect, the God they claim to represent, and must be bought before the law with all speed. The wearing of robes, and the knowing of the Bible, should be no defence against justice here on Earth.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
700 cases, wow that is insanity..... If this was happening at schools, I wonder if people would be so hushhush about it? I see no major outrage really, and IMO there really should be.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by onecraftydude
I went to a seminary when I was a young boy. My brother was attending there. My parents were so proud of him and basically forced him into the school. After a short time at the family day event one of the boys in the school offered to show me around. I was taken to the bunk area where they all slept in a big room similar to boot camp. The boy showed me a magazine and offered to have sex with me. I was about 10 years old.

Long story short, my brother was at the school for about a year before he was kicked out. When he came home he tried to have sex with me. This was what he learned at the seminary. It was common practice for the priests and students to have sex. That was back in the late 70's.

It is no surprise to me when I hear about a priest abusing a child. Those that go unreported far outnumber those that are reported.

Damn man, that's F'd up.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The Catholic Church really need to address the repeated issues of Child Abuse that keep surfacing. The Church needs to realise that abusing Children is wrong and covering up the actions of Clergy is the same as protecting them and supporting their actions.

To maintain any respect with the public the Catholic Church needs to face up to the fact that their Clergy have to answer to the allegations of abuse. The Clergy are all grown up and as adults they know what they are doing when they are abusing Children.

The Pope knows what is going on and he needs to manage his staff with decency and with a professional duty of care to the Children. Anyone that abuses a Child needs to face court and answer to their actions. Anyone that covers the actions of a Child abuser needs to face court as well.

I wish every single Child that has been abused by any member of the Catholic Clergy and all their related employees would find the courage to come forward and claim their right to have their abuser face court.

Much Peace...to all abused Children...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Strange that they are called "new" cases when many of them are from the 60's and 70's. Wouldn't "unreported" be a better fit?
I was raised Catholic, I am not a Protestant. I will never forget one day I was at my Parish with my best friend from childhood. We looked near the front of our church to see a news crew reporting live. We threw rocks at them (come on, we were 10 and 12.) Came to find out a priest from our Parish was involved in the first mass media crack down on the priests. Although it was never proven he molested anyone, he had to live his life in hiding.
Look, there is no excuse for men of the cloth participating in sexual sin. But it will continue to happen. The Catholic Church needs to wake up and stop the ridiculous celibacy mandate. There is no such requirement for pastors in the Bible. Although there are reports of sexual immorality among Protestant church leaders, the difference in scope between married clergy and single clergy is stagering.
Also, for a great documentary on the subject, watch Deliver Us From Evil.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MarlboroRedCowgirl

sexual sin

Really, is that what you call it? I call it child molestation and rape. Sexual sin would be like two priests giving eachother handjobs....

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It all falls under the same category. In the protestant view, God doesn't work like the Justice System where we have minor and major offences. Sin is all sin to God, I just clarified sexual sin for the sake of this article. Catholics have a slightly differing view, which brings all the more irony to the article.

Oh and when you mentioned the "priests giving each other sexual favors" it reminded me of Tropic Thunder.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I guess when Jesus said "Suffer little children"
The Church took it literally

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by onecraftydude

this is fairly common and not related to the seminary or Catholic school. I believe it was rampant at the time yet it was "shamed" into the closet even if you told the truth by many families.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Our religious authorities are becoming worst than politicians.

Surely if the cult members of these bums "communicated" with some "holy spirit ghost" from "god", they should be telepathically warned NOT to be listening to those devils, yea?

Guess they are all under the "devils" spell in actuality.

top topics

join