It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9 in Gulf of California. Yet ANOTHER Quake

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Anyone bets Japan getting hit next. Usually get opposite sides of the plates reacting once a quake goes off.

Indonesia -> Mexico
Cali -> Japan? possibly? Maybe worth a watch

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by cjdust
Anyone bets Japan getting hit next. Usually get opposite sides of the plates reacting once a quake goes off.

Indonesia -> Mexico
Cali -> Japan? possibly? Maybe worth a watch

Japan has had several medium (around 5) quakes over the past 72 hours.

Not uncommon, for the record.

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Yeah, The pressure is already nearing Japan unfortunately. As if they need MORE misery.

And then, South American, Central America (which just had multiple events), and the stresses in So-Cal will not be able to handle this. After that, the New Madrid may have some more activity..

The USGS 'Says' far away quakes don't affect other faults thousands of miles away, yet that has been shattered due to the Devils Hole reaction 2000 miles away. IF the water table can be affected, then you better believe the more dense rock can transmit the stresses over time. just slower due to the solid mass.

This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.

Anyone near faults, beware over the next 8 weeks. I'm telling ya.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax

You know that there are faults nearly everywhere around the world, right? And that there are tons of quakes every day, so your prediction is like saying you predict it will rain somewhere in the next 8 weeks.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BooKrackers

I agree with you assessment. Just a questions, Is the timing of a quake in Mexico, Alaska, Oregon and Indonesia significant? I have noticed that on the live usgs map, that seveal quakes around the ring of fire are going off at the same time. Basic physics says that if you pull on one end of the plate, the other end will react at the same time. Now, there were a string of quakes yesterday that circled the ring. I am a believer that if there is a catastrophic event, it will happen in several locations at the same approximate time. The line of quakes from Mexico to Alaska cuts directly over theSan Andreas and Hayward fault lines. At the same time, from Alaska to Japan and on to Samatra are on a straight line. Finally, the quakes from Sumatra to Mexico are going pretty much through Hawaii. Esentually, it creates a triangle that is very active.

I think there some relevence to the time element. What do you think?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by Pharyax

You know that there are faults nearly everywhere around the world, right? And that there are tons of quakes every day, so your prediction is like saying you predict it will rain somewhere in the next 8 weeks.

Yes, I do. But everyone knows WHICH ones are active, and those the the ones people should be prepared for. 8 weeks for a pressure build-up, but overall, have a plan ANYTIME one happens. Especially anyone near a subduction zone. Thrust faults are the deadly ones. (i.e Tsunami) if they happen in the ocean near land.
edit on 4/12/2012 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Intellicast

This is a site where you can monitor real time weather and earthquake activity around the world. If you keep an eye on it from day to day like I have since the March 20th quake in Mexico you start to get an idea of what kind of activity goes on.
edit on 12-4-2012 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Just saw the new Mexico quake and started thinking.........5 big quakes in a 24hr window, that's a bit unusual.

Sumatra- 2 enormous quakes
Mexico- 2 Large quakes
Oregon- 1 medium quake

Because I look at the USGS just about every day and have an EQ notification on my phone, this struck me as out of the norm.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

Some of your logic is flawed in your posts. Japan is at no greater risk of having an EQ just because there are EQ's happening on the opposite side of the pacific plate. The fault line that is causing the EQ's off the coast of the Western US is a strike slip and these earthquakes are caused from horizontal sliding between two plates. The fault near japan is a thrust fault caused by an overriding and subducting plate. This is a head on collision between two plates. The movement at the fault in California is caused by sea floor spreading at the Pacific plate's mid ocean ridge. This ridge is pushing all crust/plate mass toward the East-Southeast (Northeast in a couple places) at the San Andreas fault. Anything to the west of the mid ocean ridge (ie japan and nearby fault) is pushed W-NW. Think of the mid ocean ridge as a midpoint where the plate is expanding in both directions. It is responsible for sea floor spreading. Because of this the plate interaction on either side of the plate is completely independent of the other. Movement on one side is not conducive to movement on the other.

That being said, if there is a large enough push from the mid ocean ridge, all boundaries of the pacific plate could experience activity. This is different than activity on the Eastern side of the plate causing recoil or counter-activity on the opposite side.
edit on 12-4-2012 by ZiggyMojo because: Clarifying

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RADAST

Well understand that technically we're moving now...its when the plates get hung up that causes quakes. The thing to remember is gravity applies force evenly due to mass. (or as much as possible geographically).

So the timing seems to coincide with an apparent excess of pressure build....kinda like a traffic jam of sorts. With these recent odd duck quakes kickin off its basically reanimating from a stagnant position. And your right in the sense that since the plates are connected by pressure...if you have a big enough jolt it will attempt to compensate in opposite ends causing jam ups where the plate was originally moving. Seemingly causing more quakes at opposite ends around the same ballpark magnitude.

that's the dangerous part as there is no way to know how far the effected plate will slip or where for that matter.

in essence its like tectonic bumper cars aside from the regular crustal recycling that occurs turning earth back into magma. Understand in theory the quakes, sky noise, gravity, ionospheric pressure, earths core activity, and the magnetosphere are all connected in that it keeps us alive on the earth. You throw one out of balance and its a domino effect..in theory.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

You didnt bother " reading the post" had you .... You wouldn't have violated T&C rules. This story was already posted before yours. My understanding is that you are suppose to not only read the post ....(you admitted to not reading post) and you should search out topics to make sure no double post.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

You are aware there is a earthquake of that magnitude an average of 134 times a year? One every other day or so.

Paid shills? Are you kidding? You paid to spread fear perhaps and embrace ignorance? What does spreading falsehoods pay these days? Who signs your checks?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BooKrackers

Hey Boo, check out the mud volcano that's been pooching millions of cubic yards of hot mud when a well being drilled for gas created a never ending flow of hot mud that has been covering villages. Do you think that's going to create a problem?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

As a paid shill i would say that earthquakes happen every single second of every single day on this planet. Sometimes they are strong and sometimes they happen in clusters. This does NOT mean the end of the world or some other ridicoulous idea you can come up with. Everyone's incessent need to be in constant contact with each other is the reason why everything seems to be amplified. Every single time something happens in the world is not an excuse to spew forth your're paraniond delusional fantasies. Oh wait i'm not a paid shill, just someone who uses commen sense and logic as my guidelines.. Try looking at geological records. You'll discover quickly earthquakes happen all the time.. Yeah,yeah i get it, this is a conspiracy site, but you would think humility would kick in at some point seeing how you people are wrong 1000% of the time
edit on 12-4-2012 by alkesh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
reply to post by Starchildren

Actually what was stated in the OP was that this is proof of an epic change, and only paid shills disagree..
I disagree hense the discussion. The words shill and troll are way over used!

If we didnt have 5 paranoids and 600 paid shills it wouldnt be a problem?

Splain Lucy....

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by favouriteslave
Just saw the new Mexico quake and started thinking.........5 big quakes in a 24hr window, that's a bit unusual.

Sumatra- 2 enormous quakes
Mexico- 2 Large quakes
Oregon- 1 medium quake

Because I look at the USGS just about every day and have an EQ notification on my phone, this struck me as out of the norm.

There were 3 quakes on the Juan De Fuca plate tail.

They reported them as one.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
In view of the thread already turning into Shillywood....

Its the locations and the frequency that are not normal.

Prove me wrong. Find a duplicate pattern from any time in recorded history. Go ahead bigshots.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrazyCloud
Hi all,

First I am not a shill (check out my other posts) but thought a little hard data regarding an increase in quakes was required here to see if there really IS an unprecedented swarm of quakes . So using USGS I tracked back and catalogued how many "significant" quakes had happened between Jan 1st and April 12th for the past 10 years, here are the results:

2002: 9
2003: 12
2004: 7
2005: 11
2006: 11
2007: 8
2008: 16
2009: 19
2010: 25
2011:26
2012: 23

So this is NOT unprecedented, but it is following a definate pattern of increase over the 10 year period, arguably a worrying pattern of increase. Bear in mind that this is USGS's interpretation of significant quakes.

Hope this data helps, make of it what you will.

CC

edit on 12-4-2012 by CrazyCloud because: Poor grammar!

What's "significant"? I haven't been monitoring EQs for long, but since I've began I've never seen 40 (FORTY) EQS with magnitude of 5 or above on a single day like it happened yesterday. Here's a link to the USGS page but since it updates itself dynamically I have saved a copy just in case anyone's interested:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker

Its the locations and the frequency that are not normal.

And you know this because you've been around the past six billion years or so?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Deny777

while i really appreciate the above chart of big quakes between jan. and april for the past 10 years..... what's the data on so many in a week??? that's what's got me thinking this is totally abnormal. i don't ever recall this many happening so close together.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join