It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. destroyers deploying off N. Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
In President George W. Bush's first phase of his "missle sheild" plan, ships assigned to the Navy�s 7th fleet are laying the ground work for a system to detect and intercept ballistic missiles launched by �rogue nations.�

www.msnbc.msn.com
�We are on track,� Vice Admiral Jonathan Greenert, commander of the 7th Fleet, told The Associated Press in an interview Wednesday aboard the USS Coronado, which is based just south of Tokyo. �We will be ready to conduct the mission when assigned.�

�Highest priority�
The deployment will be the first in a controversial program that is high on President Bush�s defense agenda. Bush cleared the way to build the system two years ago by withdrawing from the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, which banned ship-based missile defenses.

He said protecting America from ballistic missiles was �my highest priority as commander in chief, and the highest priority of my administration.�

The project � likened to hitting a bullet with a bullet, only at three times the speed � is exceedingly complex, prompting many critics to argue that it will never be reliable or effective. It is also expensive, with an estimated price tag of $51 billion over the next five years.

Even so, the missile threat is hard to deny.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Reports cliam the project will be completed over the next several years. Tensions and questions have been rising about the Range of North Koreas ballistic missles. A report of a mushroom cloud in North Korea surfaced in the middle of the month, in which they claimed was not caused by a nulcear explosion. Secretary of State Colin Powell confirmed that unusual activity had recently been detected at some of North Korea's atomic sites, but said there was no concrete evidence the North's secretive communist regime was preparing for its first nuclear test explosion.

I am still looking for information as to a layout of this plan. It seems to me that N. Korea could be a far greater danger than Iran in the United States' eyes. Iran, Yesterday tested a ballistic missle which is capable of reaching Israel, and Troops fighting in Iraq.

ATSNN Related Stories
Iran Tests 'Strategic Missile'
North Korea May Be Preparing Missile Launch
North Korea Purchases 100 Tons of Sodium Cyanide
IAEA Chief Says Cannot Rule Out Korea Nuclear Blast
Mushroom Cloud Seen After N.Korea Explosion 9/9/04

ATS Related Discussion's
U.S. destroyers deploying off N. Korea

[edit on 25-9-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK
A report of a mushroom cloud in North Korea surfaced in the middle of the month, in which they claimed was not caused by a nulcear explosion.

Brings backs memories from Resident Evil: Apocalypse. A cover up, amazing the same thing happened in that movie. Timing was crazy, like a coincidence.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Check this thread out:

[url]http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread82796/pg1[url]

sorry i'm new here and i can't figure out how to get the link to work. Check the current events board for US DESTROYERS DEPLOYING OFF N. KOREA.

[edit on 25-9-2004 by Kwintz]

Alright should work now thanks trickmaster

[edit on 25-9-2004 by Kwintz]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I also remember reading that this was actually to happen at or near the end of spring, It was actually moved up at one time. I just am thinking why N. Korea first? This could also coincide with reports from N. Korea claiming the US is planning a surprise attack.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kwintz
Check this thread out:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Link not working.....

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
TrickMasterTrick

Just remove the / from between the word thread, and the article number. Like this:

Try this

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
TrickMasterTrick

Just remove the / from between the word thread, and the article number. Like this:

Try this

Thanks for the heads up, I have included it in the main post under Related ATS Discussion's.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The Anti-Ballistic Missle Shield may indeed be expensive but it is one of the primary reasons that we are considered a "hyper-power". The land based facilities (not sure about ship-based) carry 150 of these anti-ballistic missle projectiles which are indeed more like giant bullets than they are traditional missles. These projectiles intercept the incoming ballistic missle as it re-enters the atmosphere over the target, smashing it to bits before it can even re-enter.

Also, you should check out the U.S.'s THEL (Tactical High Energy Laser) systems. These bad boys can take out something as small as a mortar round.
THEL Tests

If you live in the U.S., U.K. or Australia then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You should also be happy to part with the cash necessary for developing this tech.

Personally, the only government that I'm even slightly afraid of is my own (the U.S.) lol.

top topics

join