It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you experienced something called “sleep paralyses?”

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
My experience of sleep paralysis was rather odd! As follows:

I felt like I had just woken up from a deep sleep only to notice that there was movement in the room, I turned my head and saw what looked like a long fingered hand reaching out of the wardrobe in the corner!! Well what do you do except scream like the girl I am and try to run away - however I couldn't make any noise and I was totally locked in position for at least ten seconds - very very scary!

Then I finally 'woke up', yes now screaming, and jumped out of bed - waking my Dad in the process! Dad very kindly came and checked the wardrobe, obviously there was nothing there.

This was around five years ago when I was staying over at my Dad's for a couple of nights. I can really understand how someone might think, or link the experience to an abduction event!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Apollo7

Apollo7

All I can say is WOW thanks so much for sharing.

I hope at some time in the future as soon as possible you manage to come at least to terms with these ordeals.

Has the telepathy helped you in any part of your life?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Exsisto

Exsisto

thanks so much for sharing, it seams that this sort of thing is way common amongst us all on here.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by CornishGal

CornishGal

For me this is a ball in each box, simply because you can not be sure that there was nothing in the wardrobe at the time.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I work in sleep medicine, and yes its fairly common.
It can basically happen to anyone, at anytime, when they are in REM sleep.

When you go into REM, your brain emits chemicals that paralyze your skeletal muscles to keep you from acting out your dreams. Anything that knocks you rapidly out of REM sleep stands a good chance of giving you an episode of sleep paralysis, though some are more prone to it then others and certain things increase the chances of it occurring. In a nutshell, you wake, but your brain is still partially in a state of sleep.

I cannot explain why people all seem to have similar hallucinations when this occurs, and I am not sure anyone knows the answer to it. I will have to say that I have had it, its not fun, and I don't really want to have it ever again.

One thing that's odd about it is that people who can control their dreams seem to have it more often, and the results are similar as if you push to hard to control a dream (lucid dreaming). If you try too hard to exert your "will" while lucid dreaming, people in your dream will actually become quite hostile, and will turn into waxy greyish looking beings. When this happens you will soon be experiencing a nightmare. This actually happened to me once, and by the time it was over I ended up talking to some little guy, dressed like an old fashioned janitor, who claimed to be my own self conscious, and basically ended up telling me about all these, “rooms with numbers” ,and that one of them was when I would die. He told me the day/month that it would happen, but I woke up before I got the year.

Anyway, don't ask me what that was all about...I try not to think about it myself.

The only logical reason I can think of for these “evil gray beings”, is that when you dream your brain is wiring new neural connections together. You're basically storing new information in your central lobes. When you try and control what your dreams are about, I'm guessing you interfere with that process, and it your brain fights back.

BTW...People who don't have paralysis suffer from a different problem called “REM Behavior” disorder.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 4/12/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I've had sleep paralysis numerous times. It usually occurs while I'm sleeping on my back or if my eyes, for whatever reason happen to open while I'm still asleep. In most instances it feels as though I've woken up, but am unable to move. Once I realize what's happening I can usually shake it off.
Often, my paralyses is accompanied by a strong hallucination. A couple times it felt like someone was sitting on my chest. The most memorable and terrifying instance I had consisted of me believing that it had been raining outside my apartment. I could hear individual rain drops and everything. But the rain sounds then became hushed whispers. In the corner of my room, I watched in horror as large orange aura-energy face appeared from thin air. It contorted into a twisted Smiley face which seemed to be laughing at me... all while the whispers steadily became screams. I was awoken by the sound of my own muffled cries for help. I went outside to see if it had rained, and everywhere, the ground was completely dry.
lol. I was pretty shook by that at the time, but it is my opinion that I had somehow maintained a dreaming state while being partially awake. In almost all instances I was aware and knew that I was undergoing sleep paralysis.
Hope my story helps

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

defcon5

Thanks for your input as I said before I had no personal experience of anything like this so I wondered if it was real condition or at least a very rear one. Obviously not.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sci-Fi_entist

Sci-Fi_entist

Thanks for sharing obviously I am very lucky to have undisturbed sleep experience.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I too have had some experiences with this. The first was a little over two years ago. At that time I had still been living at home with my father who works swing shifts so it was common for him to come home very late as well as leave very late. I had fallen asleep to be woken up by loud banging which seemed to be comming from inside the house so I yelled "Dad!?". I must mention I had not tried to move at this point. I heard no reply from him and started focusing closer as to where the banging was comming from, this is when I freaked out, the noise was comming from my closet. I began to sit up ready to go into flight mode because of past experiences in this house and my body was stopped halfway. I couldnt move a single muscle and didnt know what to do next and i guess during the panic i yelled come out and as soon as I had said it the banging stopped and I layed back down. I literally had similar experiences over and over which led me to sleep with full lights on for a little over a year. I still to this day occasionally wake up unable to move anything having the feeling that something is holding me down and having the strongest feeling that something is there in the dark watching me. Gives me chills every time I bring it up. Sorry if that was a bit long.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Never had sleep paralysis (wake up unable to move, see/experience frightening things etc), and have also never had a dream of aliens or abductions that I can recall. UFO, yes once or twice in my dreams.

I have however twice experienced an abrupt audible sound that came from within (not external sounds) while sleeping that woke me instantly both times - I had full control of my body once awake - Especially my vocal cords!

The first time it was scary. The second time it was terrifying. I'd describe the sound as a rapidly descending tone. It felt very invasive, as if not waking up right away would have been a bad thing. Both times I was not in the middle of any sort of dream leading up to it.

Logical part of me says it was some sort of glitch in my brain or something, but I have not been able to find a similar account from anyone else anywhere... So if anyone has ever experienced anything like that or are aware of what might cause it, I'm all ears.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I have never experienced the old hag syndrome (thank goodness), shadow people, or aliens while in sleep paralysis or hypnagogia.

My worst bout of sleep paralysis was waking up, not being able to move. I knew I could hear a scorpion crawling on my pillow. Don't ask me how I knew, I just knew. Tried hard to move but could not move, could not open my eyes. I was fully awake and clearly thinking. Next thing I know I feel something crawl on my finger, then I felt its legs clench my index finger before it stung me ejecting about all the venom it had. I finally was able to move again. Somehow managed to get in my shirt. By then I was stung another 4 times on my back. After turning on the lights I caught the thing, and indeed it was a scorpion. My finger was swollen for hours. Worst time to have sleep paralysis ever.

I have experienced a few scary experiences such as hearing an old woman's voice talk right into my ear, I could feel her breath, then felt and icy cold hand grab my wrist. I jumped up quick and could swear my wrist was still cold where I was grabbed.

See illustration: i28.photobucket.com...

I avoid sleeping on my back since sleep paralysis or other hypnagogic experiences are almost guarantee to happen to me.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269
reply to post by hoonsince89

hoonsince89

Ok thank for that, so in your opinion “sleep paralyses” is very common and very possibly the skeptic are right in blaming this for people thinking that they have been abducted.

It is just that I had never heard of anybody experiencing this before now.

In my opinion yes, although i'd expect an abduction to feel similar, but i think it would feel more like the onset of an OBE. Their are alot of reports of a feeling of pulsing energy surging through you etheric body before an abduction sets in, so i expect the roots of abduction are in the astral plane.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apollo7
reply to post by MAC269

I was going to work for US Customs and Border Patrol in Piegan, Montana Class 626A ID 194485 back in Sept- 2006. My life was threatened on Amtrak by some black female that I had never seen before. I called 911 from the train. I was told to get off at the next stop in Charleston, West Virginia. I attempted to file a police report. I was told that they could not help me and that I would have to file a report with Amtrak Police. I later did this with a Detective Sullivan in Raleigh, NC.

The Amtrak Staion in Charleston, West Virginia was getting ready to close. I was afraid to take a Taxi for whatever reason. I attempted to walk to a hotel within sight of the station. I was attacked and taken from a Bridge near the Amtrak Station and put on another Bridge about 1 or 2 miles from where I was located. I was found walking around in shock. MY mind is blank in this area..I did not see, hear, or anything in this timeframe. It was like I was knocked out and put on another Bridge. I still had my clothes on..I still had my black bag with personal things in it..I still had cash on me..about 700 in my right jeans pocket. Whatever took me did not steal anything..I did have the feeling of being dirty and I wanted to throw my clothes away. Some cop picked me up and I did not say anything to him. I just asked him to take me to a hotel nearby. I got to the hotel and started calling family to come and get me. I called my duty station and the hiring center begging for them to send someone to come and get me. I was stuck in Charleston, West Virginia for 2 nights of hell..I was being tracked and hunted by these beings and I could not find anywhere safe to stay. These damn things can appear invisible..but you can still feel them..I am leaving out detail..

I had to return to NC and re-schedule another attempt to get to my duty station in Montana..by this time I was Telepathic and did not realize what that was. I had no problems on my second attempt until Train 29 DC to Chicago..I called 911 from the train and told them I felt like I had been drugged on the train. I had symptoms of irregular heart beat, shortness of breath, numbness in my head and arms, slurred speech and confusion. I was taken to some hospital in Chicago..I could not communicate very well..The Doctor that waited on me was a jerk and would not listen to me..I overheard him in the hallway tell someone that- "He did not want Homeland Security in there Investigating" I signed myself out and got a hotel and attempted to treat myself..with Claritin D to open my airway..and Milk to dilute whatever someone or something had gotten me with on the Train. I also called the Hiring Center at Fort Snelling in MN and let a recorded Message begging for them to send someone from Customs to come and get me. No-one ever showed up! I got back on Amtrak the next day..I made it as far as Rugby, North Dakota..I had to get off the Train..I could not take it anylonger..I felt these beings around me..I got a hotel room and called my duty station in Piegan, Montana..I was told that because I was two days late for duty to just turn around and go back to NC and start the process over again. I had sold everything I had to even get up there. I had to borrow money to get back to NC.

I will stop for now..I am now working in the Nursing Field..I never went through the process again. US Congressman Patrick McHenry attempted to have me re-instated. Some jerk with Customs in DC told him that my travel difficulties were not serious enough for re-instatement. So, I have been working in Nursing.

Please excuse my Grammar...In the past 5 years and 7 months I have been attacked by these beings 16 times. They have appeared to me as Lights, Shadows, Orbs, Large Grey Like Creatures, and some kjnd of large being the color of the sun. And sometimes they appear as invisible but you can feel them around you.

I will get to the point..I know the beings are here and they have the ability to jump in and out of humans..you will be able to see this by paying attention to other humans eyes..they will turn black and then back to normal..or one eye will change and the other stays the same..These Beings have infiltrated the Human Race.

Sorry to say Apollo7, I am a police officer and have met many people in my career telling me the same exact story. You need to get help. You may have paranoid schizophrenia... The feeling of being followed, the telepathic powers, the feeling of being attacked and yet nobody stole your 700$, the feeling that nobody wants to help you...

Those are all symptoms of mental illness... You need help!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I have experienced sleep paralysis, perhaps a dozen times or so.

However the worst case of lucid dreaming, or consciousness that has ever happened to me was the dream I felt trapped in.

I woke up and realised there was something in the house with me. At the time my son was 4 years old, and I quickly bundled him up and walked down to my parents house to tuck us both back to sleep somewhere I felt safe - just a bad case of the jitters. Until I went to turn the lights off before turning in again, and realised that my parents do not have wall sconces that look like lamps... in fact, they don't have large leather couches either. I was still asleep!!

Wake Up I am lying back in my bed, clearly not having ever woken up, and back to reality. I felt my heart pounding in my chest, and felt like I had to get up and really wake myself up from the bad dream before I went to sleep again. I went out into the lounge room, turned on the lights, checked on my sleeping son from his bedroom door, and sat down on the couch. I stared at the small blue digital clock on the VCR and wondered what on Earth had prompted such a dream... when the lounge room light went out. "What the...?" I said, and went to flick the switch off and on, just to check it was out. Completely calm and at ease, I thought, "Huh, must have blown the light." So I went to flick on the kitchen light, and nothing happened. At that point I started contemplating the possibility of having blown the lighting fuse - as the digital clock was working just fine. I walked two steps towards my bedroom door to see if that light was working, or possibly to go get a bit more dressed to deal with the light situation, when I sensed and then 'saw' a large black shadowy mass in my lounge. I am not certain if I screamed, but I lunged into my bedroom and slammed my door shut... And then immediately worried about my son. My door was closest to the lounge, but now he was in danger! I went to open the door again. The handle was moving, but the entire door was stuck in the frame and wouldn't open... and then I sensed that the 'thing' was pressed up against the other side of the door. Then...

Wake Up in my bed I woke up with my heart pounding and adrenaline racing through my system. I was a bit worried I might be asleep still and not realise it. So I started slapping my hands on myself, and then touching everything. Attempting every bit of sensory reassurance that I was awake. I felt the bed spread underneath my hands, the smooth texture of my bedside table, the texture of the carpet roughly against the soles of my feet. I got out of bed and ran my hands smoothly down the textured wall paper. I listened to the sounds of traffic in the distance and even pressed my face against the cool glass of my bedroom window and took a moment to really look at all the details of my front yard, and the trees. Over the minutes I calmed myself down again and then thought, WOW that is some impressive nightmarish dreams! Huh! I will just go check on my son. I went to the door and turned the handle and pulled - nothing happened. The door was still stuck in it's frame, and then *instant* awareness that the Thing was still pressing against the other side of my door...

Wake Up in my bed This time I didn't even wait to do the feel texture exercises, as it hadn't worked to prove I was awake last time. I didn't even touch my door, I was so unnerved. I felt completely rational, utterly awake and had one immediate test. I flicked on my light switch. Nothing happened. Once again the threat of the Thing on the other side of the door made itself known to me. But this time, I felt like there was no escape. I started to cry in terror. I wanted to scream, but figured if I was actually asleep, no one would hear me. I couldn't wake up. I actually had time to contemplate the possibility that I was infact in a coma. Utterly lucid and still HERE but unable to wake up or communicate that to anyone. I was trapped inside my dream. I buried my head in my hands and wept in fear...

Wake Up in my bed It took me three hours, and a very long conversation with my Mother - before I started to believe I was not asleep. Before I could believe that she really was my Mother and not a construct of my dreaming world. I was very disconcerted to go back to sleep... Never happened before or since.

Have never seen an alien, but it could be theorized that I was actually awake and not dreaming, and said entities kept trying to put me to sleep for their regular scheduled abduction. Who knows? I have plenty of dreams involving shadowy black masses, and have seen these very occasionally when I am fully awake.
edit on 4/12/2012 by azurecara because: Use of action brackets changed to italics. Text disappeared.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I've had sleep paralysis before, had a long, nasty bout of it for a month or so when I was 17 and had moved to California. I was staying in a motel, and I believe that something else had decided to stay in that room too, and that the present being was using sleep paralysis as a mode to attempt stealing my body or possessing me or something nefarious. I'd gotten sleep paralysis once in my whole life before that, and it was... I dunno, not too weird, and it was only once. (I woke up and couldn't move, and it freaked me out, and then I saw my dead grandmother come into my room and put a blanket over me, and when I snapped out of it, the blanket was as she left it on me.) Didn't have it again til I was in that room. I eventually asked one of my guardian spirits to come around and take care of it, and it stopped after that, and the creepy vibe in the room cleared up.

I think that sleep paralyses happen on their own without anything spooky going on. But I also think that spooky goings-on can trigger a sleep paralysis in a person for their own purposes, whatever those may be.

I didn't have any alien abduction type experiences while I was having them. I don't necessarily believe in that kind of thing, which isn't to say it's right out and not a thing that happens, as I knew a girl in high school who claimed she was an abductee, and whose very Mormon family says they witnessed her being taken. So I figure if ghosts and spooky things can trigger sleep paralysis in their potential victims, aliens probably could as well.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I have suffered from this condition for many years and one time i was lying on my front and found it really hard to breathe as my nose was on the pillow and i had to wait until i got feeling back in my body but had to fight to get it going again which frightened me.
My wife and I were on holiday many years ago in a hot country and we both woke up at the same time with sleep paralisis and couldnt move except try to say something but not much came out of us which was very strange. She never suffers from this and never has since but i still get it now and again.
I have never heard of two people getting it at the same time which is something i would like to hear about. Maybe nothing to do with it but a few years before that we were going out for a meal one night and only remember leaving the house and waking up in our bed in the morning but our clothes were muddy and we had no recolection of where we went or how we got home which is weird....

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
i get sleep paralysis all the time. but even to im completly un able to move my limbs i can still feel as tho a can move( like when your dreaming and moving) ive actually made it somewhat of a habbit to give my self sleep paralysis, because i usually fall asleep watching TV, this in turn keeps my brain slightly awake enough to be concious during that part of the sleep cycle. i once had it for more then 3 minutes. it stops getting scary after it happens so often trust me. tho the first time it happend i could have sworn my left arm was moving upwards, also i heard dogs barking and getting closer in the distance witch made me #ing jump.

all in all no alien abductions, just your bodies way of protecting you from hurting urself while sleeping. seriously its the only reason you can sleep at night without waking up in ur living room.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This happens to me frequently. I do not know why it happens, or who is responsible but I will admit that it can be a scary feeling. I often describe it as my mind being fully awake and aware while my body and its functions are asleep. The only way I am able to "wake up" is by concentrating very hard on moving some part of my body. The moment I can gain that control, the physical me will get up. When these episodes happen I feel like I need to be pulled up to a sitting position, almost like I am submerged in something, sorta like drowning. Some people suggest relaxing and letting go, I have tried that , but in the end I am still forcing myself awake. There were a few occasions when I woke up with weird bruises, but it should also be noted that I am clumsy and I bruise easily, so I am not positive that they were the result of these dreams.

PLPL

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Sleep paralyses is actually caused by you being out of the body and in a dream state so to speak. You cannot move the physical body because you are out of it. And the strange things you might see is part of that "astral reality" that you visit every time you dream.

You might be floating so close to the physical body that you think you are not out of it, but still you are. All those people trying to induce OOBE's are actually inducing sleep paralysis to astral travel. They train themselves to master how to navigate that dimension/world.

I have tried this with success a few times, but due to the not so nice experiences and beings still occupying the astral realm, I have stopped trying for it to happen.
edit on 12-4-2012 by VisitorQ because: spelling

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

I can't speak to alien abductions. Maybe such things occur, maybe not. In my opinion it's an open question that probably shouldn't be ignored, but studied carefully. (Sidenote: I understand there are some credentialed professionals who study alien abduction claims and aren't outright dismissive of the possibility or some claims, yet my understanding is that these folks tend to be shunned by their peers as well.)

From what I've read sleep paralysis is recognized by the healthcare profession as a temporary mind/body disconnect and is studied (e.g. www.markwulab.net...).

Frankly I would rather endure medical sleep paralysis than be abducted by either an extraterrestrial or terrestrial. Optimally I would not have to contend with either.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join