It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Declare 'War On Moms'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by kaylaluv
The spin on this is totally inaccurate. She wasn't talking about her being a homemaker. She was talking about her being RICH, RICH, RICH. She was talking about how out of touch Romney and his wife are regarding the tough economic issues facing the "unwashed masses".

This is not a "war on Moms" at all. If your thread title was "War on the Rich", that would be a little more accurate, although I don't think it's a war to state a fact. When you have spent your whole life extremely wealthy, you can't possibly know first hand what it's like to struggle financially. So, Romney stating that he listens to what his wife tells him are the big issues for mainstream America - is a joke.

You too ..... read this First:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

but you're part right....

maybe it's a war on the disabled too !!!!

boy did they dial a wrong number !!

What does Ann Romney's disabilities have to do with anything? Did Rosen say Ann didn't know anything about economic issues because she has MS? What Rosen was saying was that Ann didn't know anything about economic issues, because she's got more money than GOD.

By the way, there are a ton of women out there who would LOVE to stay at home with their kids, but they can't financially swing it. There are women who have disabilities who have to work a 40-60 hour work week AND go home to take care of their kids. Ann Romney has never been forced to work a day in her life. What does she know about those women who have been forced into jobs they hate, just so they can help pay the mortgage and put food on the table?

Look, I don't dislike Ann Romney. If I had all that money, I would probably live my life exactly as she has. But Romney was an IDIOT to say that he listens to his wife about what issues are important to the common woman. If anything, this was more of an attack on Mitt than on Ann. As far as I'm concerned, Mitt is fair game (just like Obama is). I think Rosen was totally aware that Mitt was just making stuff up to sound good, and she was calling him on it.
edit on 12-4-2012 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by xuenchen

I could not read past "lowly homemaker"

If you think Rosen said that, you've been punked. The OP "mistakenly" put that in quotes despite it being the authors words, not Rosen's.

BTW - I did use quotations correctly when I wrote "Mistakenly"...

I was quoting the "quote" from the story and laughing at it (as you can see).

It's English.

Plus that, the real issue is the attack, and the fact that Ann Romney has had medical issues, and in now way has ever hurt anyone.

They talk of her as if is some kind of criminal. Par for the course -- cast blame when you yourself are guilty.

The same old trick.

No way the Obamamites get out of this latest debacle.

Keep up the good work.

Hilary Rosen is a quirk and vermin

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
This just further illustrates the insufferable attitude of those on the left who don't fit into their narrow definitions.

It's only the begining of a long hot summer.

When is the Mormon bashing going to start?
edit on 12-4-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

Actually it is the republican, conservative, religious, RIGHT who want to declare a war on moms.
If they don't have a "pop" the right is saying that doesn't constitute "a family."
So I would call what the right is waging a "a war on women and families."

Naturally they want to glorify the homemaker, because they are trying to get women out of the workforce period.

"Lowly" would certainly depend on the type of homemaker and child rearer you are. I have indeed seen a few who were indeed...lowly and I have seen some tremendous mothers and wives, virtual superwomen but that is beside the point.

The Conservatives want to get women back in the kitchen, preparing meals and doing the dishes and the laundry for their man. They want the girls back home suckling infants so there are more opportunities for men out there in the workforce. Pretty transparent actually. I think the stay at home mom job is very important too but it isn't the most glamorous one out there and it certainly does waste a smart woman's potential and dashes many of her own dreams for the sake of her children and husband.

edit on 12-4-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
And let's not forget Who was Barack Obama's "Mentor" ......

When Michelle Met Barack !

She was 25 and had just finished her first year as an associate at Sidley & Austin, a corporate law firm in her home town of Chicago. Not long after, the firm assigned her to mentor a summer associate named Barack Obama.

The fact that she was Obama's mentor made her feel self-conscious. She often recounts how she resisted when Barack asked her out, saying in an interview that she felt it would be "tacky" if they started to date because they were "the only two black people" at the firm.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
sorry, but as the republicans are griping about all those welfare moms, griping about child support and such, and tellijng us ALL how we didn't work hard enough....

how many of them have put down the role of the lowly housewife and mother???

seems to me, that they are lazy bums in your eyes, unless of course....
they happen to be married to your about to be nominated presidential candidates!!!

then it's oh, but she works so hard!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
And in even more fairness to Hilary Rosen.

She has been attacked too, just today in fact ....

This is only getting uglier. The Democratic National Committee forwards a ThinkProgress story under the subject line: “Conservatives Attack Hilary Rosen For Raising Children As A Lesbian”
Democrats Respond: Conservatives Are Attacking Rosen For Lesbian Parenting

The meat of the article is in picture format.

from a link in the story:

No one is arguing that raising children isn’t work. Democratic strategist and CAP Action board member Hilary Rosen is a single mother of twins who had to go through the expensive and challenging process of adoption with her then partner Elizabeth Birch. Now, she’s trying to stick up for other mothers who don’t have the luxury of millionaire husbands to help fund their child-rearing duties, and the backlash is getting ugly. Catholic League president Bill Donohue attacked her family on Twitter this morning:

@CatholicLeague: Lesbian Dem Hilary Rosen tells Ann Romney she never worked a day in her life. Unlike Rosen, who had to adopt kids, Ann raised 5 of her own.

Somehow, Rosen’s family is less valid, less worthy of respect because she adopted her children. This insults not just lesbian couples, but all non-birth mothers. In fact, it seems like few even recognize that Rosen is a mother at all, perhaps an inherent cultural consequence of her choice (or lack of choice) to not be a stay-at-home mom. Consider this Twitter quip from Alice Stewart, who until this week was Rick Santorum’s National Press Secretary:

@alicetweet: Being a mother is the most valuable work a woman can do, my heart goes out to @hilaryr children if she doesn’t believe that

Such comments play into archaic stereotypes that de-emphasize the important work men can do as fathers and that women can do in the professional world. The most valuable work a woman can do is whatever work she chooses to do. To otherwise qualify women’s roles in society is to prove Rosen’s point. Ann Romney is not qualified to speak on behalf of women who have had to earn the living they need to raise their children, and discounting those women’s life choices as “less valuable” is the true controversy.
Conservatives Attack Hilary Rosen For Raising Children As A Lesbian

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
And the "apology" ....

Let's put the faux "war against stay at home moms" to rest once and for all. As a mom I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his lack of a record on the plight of women's financial struggles. Here is my more fulsome view of the issues. As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay at home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance.

and a comment from:

This is not an apology. It is a declaration of war. As I pointed out earlier today, the piece to which Rosen links says that Ann Romney is not an "expert" on women, and essentially makes the claim that she can't speak for women because she was a stay-at-home mom. She says that gender equality isn't a talking point for her, but she also deems certain lifestyle choices disqualifying in terms of representing other women. This is no "phony war." It's a very real war, started by the left--and they're only declaring it "phony" now that their true feelings about women with whom they disagree politically are revealed.

The question is whether the Obama campaign and the Democratic National Committee will apologize to Romney, and whether they will fire Rosen over this incident. Rosen has long been associated with the Obama team and the DNC, and her apology means virtually nothing considering that she's still defending the substance of the comments.

Rosen Apologizes ... Then Triples Down

Un-beeeee-lievable !!

I hope Democrat and Liberal Women are behind Her every word !!

I hope Hilary Rosen gets appointed to the Dept of HHS...

perfect choice for confirmation.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Isn't this kind of irrelevant when compared to all the other massive fault's in the guy and his ability to represent Americans?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Isn't this kind of irrelevant when compared to all the other massive fault's in the guy and his ability to represent Americans?

Well yes frankly.

The focus on Rosen is taking away from Obama's faults and boondoggles.

I suppose we should forgive and forget.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

What mess, I don't see how anyone would vote for either one of them yet people do.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Romney's wife is no ordinary stay-at-home mom. Let's be real, the problem is that her husband is ultra-wealthy; 99% of American women don't have ultra-wealthy husbands who spoil them and let them stay at home doing pretty much nothing. She hasn't had any kind of economic struggle, she doesn't see the workplace discrimination and economic inequality which women face in this country, and pretty much the all over the entire world. In that sense, she can really relate to average American women as much as Mitt can relate to average American men.

Out of touch.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This whole issue is hilarious...because what Rosen said is exactly true.

These are her exact words...not the spin the OP is trying to sell you...she never said "lowly housewife"...the OP is just a hack that knows exactly what he is doing.

What you have is Mitt Romney running around the country saying, “Well, my wife tells me what women really care about are economic issues.” And, “When I listen to my wife, that’s what I’m hearing.” Guess what? His wife has never actually worked a day in her life. She’s never really dealt with the economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing—in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school, and how do—why we worry about their future.

And this is 100% true. Ann Romney has no clue about economic issues that relate to most American women.

I love seeing Conservatives trying so hard to turn a factual statement into a hateful attack

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Not too many "stay at home moms" are worth several hundred million dollars, have four (or five) mansions (complete with car elevators!), and two Cadillacs.

I don't care if she doesn't work - if I had her wealth I wouldn't work either. I appreciate the fact she stayed home to raise her five kids (but then again, where else would she be?). Just don't try to sell me on her being a "person for the common man or woman".

That's the problem with all these politicians, they're all extremely wealthy and out-of-touch and completely in the back pocket of their corporate sponsors. Yet they're the ones who are going to fix things for us common little folk? Pfft. They're the ones who caused all the problems.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Sometimes, not all the time. I have a family member that is extremely wealthy.. the mother could have hired an army of servants. Instead she did all the cooking, cleaning, childcare etc. You can't walk two feet through the front door without being pressed for hot tea and sandwiches, and if you offer to help you'll just get shooed into a chair.

Money doesn't effect family values or personal morals. Some people are very wealthy and use that wealth to literally escape from life. Others it hardly effects their home life in the least bit, aside from a bigger house.

Stereotyping rich people is just as bad as stereotyping poor people. I could make the assumption that all people on welfare live in a trailer, smoke crack and beat their kids. Obviously that wouldn't be true.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Democrats Declare 'War On Moms'
Breitbart

They are starting to get mean .....

They are going after Mitt Romney's wife right away.

An easy mark I suppose.

Hilary Rosen, a partner at SKDKnickerbocker, the PR firm of former Obama communications director Anita Dunn, charged that Ann Romney "hasn't worked a day in her life" and suggested that Ann Romney can't possibly understand economic issues because she's a lowly homemaker.
"lowly homemaker" ? Ms. Rosen must be raving jealous !

Why did you place 'lowly housewife' in quotes? Those arent Rosen's words.

She just pointed out Ann hasnt worked a day in her life, which is true. She's a rich housewife with servants. Saying she cant relate to the avergae American is not much of a stretch,

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
She has an excellent point. How can a woman whom has never had to deal with the real economics of say a "single mom" possibly understand what moms go through on an economic level??? And even if you take her statement as the holy truth, I still don't understand how a "stay at home" mom married to a wealthy man can possibly understand the economics of this world.

Yeah, I guess stay at home moms don't have to shop for food or budget household finances.

They should just have supper ready when REAL people who WORK come home.

My mom was a stay at home mom. She made a small paycheck from my dad stretch out, and fed 3 kids.

Ann Romney is the daughter of a multimillionaire who is married to the sun of a multimillionaire and has an army of servants. To imply her experience is close to the average working mom is disgusting.

Pretending Rosen's comments were belittling her role as a houesewife and not her role as a trophy wife is intentionally stupid

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This thread is HILARIOUS.

A bunch of partisan Republicans masquerading as 'small government conservatives' repeating talking points meant to defend the extravagant leisure life of a multimillionaire trophy wife.

No, pointing this out does not make me an Obama supporter.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
settle down

this nut job does not represent the democratic party

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
This thread is HILARIOUS.

A bunch of partisan Republicans masquerading as 'small government conservatives' repeating talking points meant to defend the extravagant leisure life of a multimillionaire trophy wife.

No, pointing this out does not make me an Obama supporter.

I am always pigeon holed as a conservative on here, but I am probably more liberal than most,

I get your drift though.

I am poor, well not dirt poor, lol, below poverty level,

As I tell my son, if people work hard, make money honestly, become rich and are dedicated to their profession, good for them, hey, no one stopped me, my own fault I am who I am today.
edit on 093030p://bThursday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

As I tell my son, if people work hard, make money honestly, become rich and are dedicated to their profession, good for them, hey, no one stopped me, my own fault I am who I am today.

My contention with Ann Romney is not that she is wealthy. That's fine. It's that she is pretending she knows what the average stay-at-home mom goes through when, in reality, she doesnt work, her servants do.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join