It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New CMEs and the Earthquakes....again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I know many say one thing doesn't effect the other, but I cannot help but wonder...a CME that just missed us yesterday opened up a hole in the magnetosphere....

A CME expected to hit Earth on April 9th missed, but the Arctic lit up with auroras anyway. Yuichi Takasaka sends this report from the Northwest Territories of Canada: "Even though the CME missed, we had three outbreaks of Northern Lights at Prelude Lake."

The source of the display was the IMF (interplanetary magnetic field), which tipped south on April 9th, opening a crack in Earth's magnetosphere. Solar wind poured in and fueled the auroras.

Another is due in the next day or two.

More Arctic lights are possible on April 13-14 when a high speed solar wind stream is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. NOAA forecasters estimate a 20% chance of geomagnetic storms around the poles

So far this year we have seen zero days with no cme's. They have increased every year.

Sunspot number: 28

Updated 10 Apr 2012

Spotless Days
Current Stretch: 0 days
2012 total: 0 days (0%)
2011 total: 2 days (

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
i live in moncton NB, we have been seeing smaller quakes in a small town near saint john. maybe from fracking, not sure. but to have some in the Atlantic region like that, there have been maybe 10 over the last year or so in that grand mannan area,. more of them usually happen in the st Lawrence instead like in quebec and ontario.

that is a good size one there also, hopefully there wont be any larger aftershocks, A LOT OF COASTAL COMMUNITIES THERE THAT WOULD BE DEVASTATED BY A TSUNAMI

THERE OBVIOUSLY has to be a connection with the magnetosphere no doubt about it, when it moves why wouldnt the large plates of land floating on a liquid metal core move, just like metal fileings on a magnet stick under a piece of paper!! my 2 cents!
edit on 11-4-2012 by Chefspicy because: more info

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I thought this was an interesting graph also...notice the alert for 4/9...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Chefspicy

Did you check out the iris.edu site?

Many quakes in Atlantic region in the last week and one today in Venezuela also...areas that I think have been quite quiet.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the images. Very interesting stuff going on in the world these days.
2nd line

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Quoting myself here:

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

BTW, even Russian and Chinese scientists have had to get degrees in what they research. What is your degree on that you want to claim you don't want to believe what the Russians, the Chinese have to say?... and i am CERTAIN that you will TRY to make some similar excuse for every scientist who wants to contradict you...

Puterman of Phage may not have degrees in this field of study, but this guy does:

John Vidale

The seismology community generally agrees no link has been seen.

PNSN group on Facebook

This is in response to the following question:

So my question is " Is there a link between solar flares and earthquakes"

Mr. Vidale has recently signed up as a member and been posting in a few threads, Quakeswatch 2012 being one of those threads.

(snip)

John Vidale is the director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network.

Can't get much more credible than that, if you are looking for real science.
edit on 11-4-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: fixed link

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by larrydavid84

You're welcome..

I will keep looking.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

im talking north Atlantic near coastal Canada and bay of Fundy!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I didn't make a claim either way...just posting info I found that I thought was interesting...I am aware of Mr Vidale being here, thank you for the info...but I do believe this site is for anyone to put their thoughts out there?
Or should I just wait around for only scientists to post? Just wondering what your point was?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

didnt know cme' and solar flares were the same thing! lol

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Chefspicy

Yes...that is on the image...

Here is a good pic of fault lines...
library.thinkquest.org...

Mid-Atlantic Ridge The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is a 10,000 mile long north-south mountain chain occupying the center of the Atlantic Ocean and passing through Iceland. It is the most extensively studied divergent plate boundary, dividing the North and South America Plates from the Eurasian and African Plates. In the divergent plate boundary, molten magma continuously rises from the mantle to the sea floor to fill in the gap formed by the diverging plates, and thus creating seafloor spreading. It is estimated that the Atlantic Ocean sea floor expands at a rate of 0.5 to 4 inches annually. In addition to its divergent plate boundaries, the curving of the ridge also creates a number of transform fault lines. Occasionally, these transform faults are the site of seismic activity as the adjacent plates move in northern or southern directions.
library.thinkquest.org...
edit on 11-4-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I respect scientists and do not intend to step on anyone's feet here, but I think CME's causing earth disturbances is just as likely as saying it is fracking. I don't think anyone can say for 100%.

Remember when scientists were convinced the earth was flat? If we don't continue to question we do not move forward....always question..I like to theorize, bounce ideas around.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Your opening statement seemed to indicate that you were implying a connection:

I know many say one thing doesn't effect the other, but I cannot help but wonder...a CME that just missed us yesterday opened up a hole in the magnetosphere....

I may have misinterpreted your intent, if so I apologize,

And indeed the forum is open to everyone, laymen and scientists alike, no waiting around necessary at all. But if someone hes dedicated their life to a subject, there is a very strong likelihood that their views on that subject are worth at least listening to.

I myself have made disparaging remarks about scientists and how specializing can narrow their scope of vision, but the very fact that Mr. Vidale has signed up here and contributed to several threads shows that he is at least open to thinking about other possibilities.

Another of his posts about solar activity and it's connection to earthquake:

Comprehensive studies over the years (although I don't have one at my fingertips) have not found any more earthquakes during solar activity than other times, not do we expect to.
January 23 at 7:23pm
I think he meant "nor do we expect to."

Also from the Facebook group.

Part of what I snipped out of my above quote:

Now, I can conceive of CMEs possibly having triggering effect on a fault that was near to rupturing by itself, because even refrigerator magnets will move around on a table if you bring them close enough to one another.

However, since the number of quakes which occur on a daily basis does not decline during periods of solar minimum, I would have to say that the effect is negligible at best.

So, as you can see I do leave open the possibility of there being a (weak) correlation. Though I am inclined to think that it is very tenuous at best given what I have read.

Remember when scientists were convinced the earth was flat? If we don't continue to question we do not move forward....always question..I like to theorize, bounce ideas around.

As do I, which is what I was doing tossing out some ideas with which to bounce.
edit on 12-4-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: addendum

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Thank you for your reply....in my statement I just meant to open the discussion again...I do not have an opinion either way yet...just find it curious.

Especially since the Sun does have a huge impact on the earth in many ways.

And if we blindly believe main stream scientists and media....we would still believe in man-made global warming.

edit on 12-4-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Earth is entering a solar wind stream that could spark high-latitude auroras during the next 24-48 hours. The first stirrings of Northern Lights were sghted this morning over Wisconsin and from the cockpit of an air ambulance flight over Canada.
Rockin and rollin again today...

12-APR-2012 07:57:32 28.51 -112.95 4.3 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-APR-2012 07:15:48 28.79 -113.14 6.9 10.3 BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
12-APR-2012 07:06:01 28.84 -113.07 6.2 10.1 BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
12-APR-2012 06:48:38 28.80 -113.05 4.9 9.8 BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
12-APR-2012 03:29:22 37.81 -112.10 4.8 0.8 UTAH

www.iris.edu...
12-APR-2012 09:15:18 1.11 92.03 4.7 27.5 OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATERA
12-APR-2012 07:43:48 2.97 92.74 5.1 30.4 OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATERA
12-APR-2012 07:34:57 3.40 89.82 5.2 15.8 NORTH INDIAN OCEAN
12-APR-2012 07:01:46 1.96 93.93 5.0 26.9 OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATERA
12-APR-2012 06:47:36 2.90 89.46 4.8 14.7 NORTH INDIAN OCEAN
12-APR-2012 05:48:24 1.80 89.55 4.9 15.1 NORTH INDIAN OCEAN
12-APR-2012 02:54:44 1.22 91.77 5.0 14.8 NORTH INDIAN OCEAN
12-APR-2012 02:42:43 3.53 92.69 4.8 27.7 OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATERA
12-APR-2012 00:50:36 2.56 92.30 4.7 10.0 OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATERA
12-APR-2012 00:30:02 4.45 92.86 4.7 29.2 OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATERA

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
i gotta say, Im still surprised this is even a debate. independent scientists and researchers around the world acknowledge this connection, but the people at the top being paid to tell you what they need you to hear, deny it.
. . .
Solar radiation, heat, solar wind, etc + Earth's magnetic field, atmosphere, gravity, pressure, etc.= Earth affected geomagnetic events and activity
. . .
imho

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

Thank you for your reply....in my statement I just meant to open the discussion again...I do not have an opinion either way yet...just find it curious.

Especially since the Sun does have a huge impact on the earth in many ways.

And if we blindly believe main stream scientists and media....we would still believe in man-made global warming.

agreed!

new topics

top topics

join