It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Math Homework Help!!! Any math whizzes out there?

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Hey guys- I know, this may be stupid of me to ask, BUT i do not have a knack for math. However, if you want to ask me about spanish, I will be able to help you haha.. anyway, this is the problem and I CANNOT figure this thing out...

2/x-5 + 1/2x = 5/3x^2-15x


solve for x by finding the LCD... thank you in advance =)

also- if i may ask, could you explain it step by step
edit on 11-4-2012 by Ketzer22 because: edited cuz the way it looked posted was different than when it was written




posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22
 


Having others do your homework is cheating. You can't cheat and learn.



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22
2/x-5 + 1/2x = 5/3x^2-15x


Could you put a few brackets in there please.
its not clear if you mean
2 / (x-5)
or
(2/x)-5

as just a part of the ambiguity in the whole thing.



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22
Hey guys- I know, this may be stupid of me to ask, BUT i do not have a knack for math. However, if you want to ask me about spanish, I will be able to help you haha.. anyway, this is the problem and I CANNOT figure this thing out...

2/x-5 + 1/2x = 5/3x^2-15x


solve for x by finding the LCD... thank you in advance =)

also- if i may ask, could you explain it step by step
edit on 11-4-2012 by Ketzer22 because: edited cuz the way it looked posted was different than when it was written


Holy wow!!!

Anyway...X = .467169...

Step by step...ya...I am not going to be much help there...you need to check with your instructor!



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1
 


2/(x-5) + 1/(2x)= 5/(3x^2-15x)

And to the person who said i was cheating- no, i'm not.. this problem has given me a particularly hard time.. I can do others that are like it.. I have even had my mom and girlfriend look at it and it has them stumped... hehe



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   


This is definitely not some short problem. But I would make all the bottom the same equation. Anything at the = sign needs to equal to 0, so everything on the right has to go to the left. Then you have figure out your denominator, once you figure that out the numerator will be easy.

Ok the parenthesis makes it a bit more easier. BRB.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22
reply to post by alfa1
 


2/(x-5) + 1/(2x)= 5/(3x^2-15x)

And to the person who said i was cheating- no, i'm not.. this problem has given me a particularly hard time.. I can do others that are like it.. I have even had my mom and girlfriend look at it and it has them stumped... hehe


I gave you the answer...you have a repeating cos...it's not algebraic!

You have a continuous inequality...and it's rounded...so you answer is in my post above!



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater


This is definitely not some short problem. But I would make all the bottom the same equation. Anything at the = sign needs to equal to 0, so everything on the right has to go to the left. Then you have figure out your denominator, once you figure that out the numerator will be easy.

Ok the parenthesis makes it a bit more easier. BRB.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)


I can't wait to hear this Manhater...your going to spend a sheet of paper up...at least...and then break out the calculator in the end...I recommend the TI-89 using shortcuts...but if you have a TI-83 or 84 available...it will come up with the same thing!



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   


2/(x-5) + 1/(2x)= 5/(3x^2-15x)


Goodness...re-written...then X = 1.666666...

It's too late for this nonsense...so it's either wrong or right...and now I don't care!



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
X =12




posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This wont help with your work, but I just had to post it.

Dear Math,
I'm tired of finding your "X". Just accept that she is gone and move on dude.



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by IpsissimusMagus
X =12



Huh???

Your funny!



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22
2/x-5 + 1/2x = 5/3x^2-15x


I havnt done any of these in many years so I had to use the net to help me, but I get
x=1.90995...


Edit - hey I just tried WolframAlpha
which gave x= (5/3)
jerryznv knows what he's doing.


edit on 11-4-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22
 


I got it down to 9x^2 - 70x + 125=0
I got two X values 5 and 50/18



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

edit on 12-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
You have to breakdown the (3x^2-15) into 3x(x-5)

(x-5) will cancel the denominator for the numerator 2 which leaves 3x *2x and that would be 2 / 6x^2

Isn't that what your suppose to do in order find x?

1 * 3x^2-15

=

5(2x)


12x+3x^2-15=10x

3x^2+2x-15=0

(3x+3)(x-3)



I'm messing up somewhere


Ya...no...but your on the right track...rules of math always...what do you do first?



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Hope you can follow my work.

2/(x-5) + 1/(2x)= 5/(3x^2-15x)

4x/(2x^2 - 10x) + (x-5)/(2x^2 - 10x) = 5/(3x^2 - 15x)

4x + x - 5 / (2x^2 - 10x) = 5 / (3x^2 - 15x)

5x - 5 / (2x^2 - 10x) = 5 / (3x^2 - 15x)

x - 1 / (2x^2 - 10x) = 1 / (3x^2 - 15x)

x-1 = (2x^2 - 10x) / (3x^2 - 15x)

x - 1 = 2(x^2 - 5x)/3(x^2 - 5x)

x - 1 = 2/3

x = 1 + 2/3

x = 5/3



Here is a check by replacing x

2 / (5/3 - 5) + 1/2(5/3) = 5 / (3 (5/3)^2 - 15 (5/3))

2/ (-10/3) + 1 / (10/3) = 5 / (3 (25/9) - 75/3)

-6/10 + 3/10 = 5/ (25/3 - 75/3)

-3/10 = 5 / (-50/3)

-3/10 = -15/50

-3/10 = -3/10



posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater
 


hey guys thanks for the effort- manhater is on the right track.. those / in the original problem are meant to be fractions... haha.. so yea, I am still stumped on this damn problem unfortunately



posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1
 





x= (5/3)


Yeppers...simplify my friend...and you have an awnser!

Good work!



posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   


Img source

www.wolframalpha.com...^2-15x+
edit on 12-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join