It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hate groups associated with Wal-Mart stores: study says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hate groups associated with Wal-Mart stores: study
By Eric W. Dolan
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 16:34 EDT -- The Raw Story

A "study" conducted by Penn State economists says the presence of Wal-Mart stores adds to the number of "hate groups" in the area

This is something I never would have thought of, let alone believe.

The more Wal-Mart stores a county has, the more likely it is to have active hate groups in the area, according to Penn State economists.

“Wal-Mart has clearly done good things in these communities, especially in terms of lowering prices,” Stephan Goetz, professor of agricultural economics and regional economics, explained. “But there may be indirect costs that are not as obvious as other effects.”

The study, published in Social Science Quarterly, found that the number of Wal-Mart stores was a better predictor of hate group participation than the unemployment rate, high crime rates and low education.
Sounds absolutely Brilliant !

The wisdom:

There were 1,018 active hate groups in the United States in 2011, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center up from 1,002 in 2010.

The researchers believe that the correlation between Wal-Mart and hate groups exists because of breakdown of the community. Small local businesses are more likely to be members of civic groups and involved in the community. They are also more likely to have closer relationships among their employees.

“While we like to think of American society as being largely classless, merchants and bankers are part of what we could call a leadership class in a community,” Goetz said.

I wonder how much somebody got Paid to cough up this miraculous result ?

Has Wal-Mart broken down YOUR community ??

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
There's a lot of Walmarts around where I live, and guess what?

I hate Walmart.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

The more Wal-Mart stores a county has, the more likely it is to have active hate groups in the area, according to Penn State economists.

The more poverty in an area, the more Walmart provides the lower-cost option (though it kills towns).

And the more people living in poverty, the more need for a scapegoat. "The Other" serves that need.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Am I the only one to not understand this at all?

I don't get how they correlated walmarts to hate groups. The article has so little information in it and the study costs money if you want to read it.
edit on 11-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Wal-Mart hasn't broken a community, it's broken a nation. It sold out every good aspect on which it was founded.

What resulted is a ware-house of cheap imported goods, customer service that doesn't give a damn (for good reason), the death of every mom and pop business, and reluctant patronage.

I hate Wal-mart. I agree with the second poster. My wife worked for them for five years. It is the most parasitic, screwed up company ever allowed here. What kind of worthless inhuman dung considers all absences inexcusable?

If every Wal-mart in the United States burned to the ground, I would not shed a tear. I would rejoice to the point of suspicion.

They created the business model of the NWO, in name only. It is an absolute dictatorship within the borders of the United States. But aren't most global corporations?

The correlation of hate groups could have something to do with wakeupwalmart.com, a hate group dedicated to hating Wal-mart, (of which I am a proud member).

edit on 11-4-2012 by Bobaganoosh because: addition for relevance.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

All you need to do is look at Wal-Mart's profit pattern. Their highest profits actually come in around the first of the month. What comes in around the first? Government benefits. Wal-Mart is where most people spend their welfare and that's been proven. Most of the poor are uneducated and likely to act out of ignorance. Why are you shocked they would be in white or black power groups? The poorer you are the more likely it is you will require a tribal network.
edit on 11-4-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Am I the only one to not understand this at all?

I don't get how they correlated walmarts to hate groups. The article has so little information in it and the study costs money if you want to read it.
edit on 11-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Bingo !

It's all about $$$

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is the SPLC after all, the people who give you opinions and call them "social sciences".

Not that I'm any fan of Wallly world, I hate them and won't shop there.
I miss the mom and pop stores, there used to be more variety and character.
They are why main street USA is lined with abandoned stores.

Hate groups come in all colors people, as do Walmart shoppers.
So this means all of America is filled with hate groups, right?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

There were 1,018 active hate groups in the United States in 2011, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center up from 1,002 in 2010.

Interesting website. I never took the time to see if somebody had categorised all those groups.
This website puts hate groups into the categories of...
Anti-Gay
Anti-Immigrant
Anti-Muslim
Black Separatist
Christian Identity
Holocaust Denial
Ku Klux Klan
Neo-Confederate
Neo-Nazi
Racist Music
Racist Skinhead
Radical Traditional Catholicism
Sovereign Citizens Movement
White Nationalist

...and apart from Black Separatists, ALL the haters depicted are white people.
Of the 1018 total groups, Black Separatists are just 6: Nation of Islam, National Black Foot Soldier Network, New Black Panther Party etc...
Everyone else is presumably white. Even the "racist music" category, where they describe it as British orgins, and "various forms of “white power” music"... which is rather odd considering what a lot of Rap music contains.

They have a section where they describe "Hate Incidents" in the news.
In the first ten pages of those lists, I could only find one single example of a Black on White hate attack.
They certainly exist, but this website isnt exactly going out of their way to look for them.

edit on 11-4-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Yeah it is a huge double standard.
David Howard had to resign for saying niggardly (i know someone is probably upset that i said it now)
Michael Richards was forced to apologize over his use of the n-word
Rappers can use it 200 times a song and that is a-okay

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Yeah if you believe that then there is a direct link of teeth to homosexuality. Ever meet a homosexual without teeth?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Pfft, the Southern Poverty Law Center is itself a hate group. I wouldnt trust anything they say or any studies that they publish.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
My husband can't find a job anywhere, even though his last one he worked for nearly 26 years with a great record- so he thought he'd start growing plants to sell.

It's a passion of his so I want to help him, but I found out that Walmart sells plants at or below cost- they do it to get people in to buy the dirt and chemicals.

How can you compete with that?

Then I also found out that they don't even always PAY the supplying nursery if the plants don't sell. A guy was in there complaining about walmart not watering the plants- it's HIS JOB that suffers if walmart doesn't water the plants, because then his employer doesn't get paid.

Home Depot does the same thing. How do they get by with that? In the meantime, all the really good local nurseries and gardening/farming centers have went under.

I think JohnnyCanuck has it right- Walmart is just bad for communities then they suffer and people need a scapegoat.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I think JohnnyCanuck has it right- Walmart is just bad for communities then they suffer and people need a scapegoat.

Well, I figure that Walmart capitalises on bad times, and when they've sucked the economic life out of a community, they split. The hate grows out of those same bad times.

When a location is no longer optimal, Wal-Mart often moves on to greener pastures, leaving an empty eyesore or a dangerous abandoned site. As a result, many communities have been saddled with the cost of tearing down, securing or policing abandoned Wal-Marts. This problem is further exacerbated by the strategy of overbuilding. This tactic calls for the construction of multiple stores near competitors in order to steal their customer base and drive them out of business.www.dailykos.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Has Wal-Mart broken down YOUR community ??

Actually, yes, it has. I've lived in my area of FL my entire life, living in a few of the cities neighboring each other. Over 20+ years, I've seen the area shops go from mom & pop stores to predominant big box (overwhelmingly Walmarts) Which in itself isn't bad, it's the fallout that isn't worth the "rollbacks". I've seen picturesque family neighborhoods housing Hellmarts crumble into slums years before the Big Recession could be blamed. I've seen upper-middle class neighborhoods have a sharp rise in violent crime when Hellmart sets foot. I wouldn't say hate groups per se are the result, but gangs definitely are. The neighborhood one Walmart is in now used to be very safe when I was a kid. Now, people are robbed, carjacked, shot in the parking lot. Nearby businesses are held up often, grand theft auto is common, etc. The vast majority of the crimes are gang-related. The city I live in now used to be one of the favored suburbs between 2 major cities. Right now, it's a veritable slum with mom & pop shops long-closed up, and the neighborhoods in the worst shape are the ones with Walmarts.

Down the road, I lived in a very impoverished neighborhood in another city for several years, and guess what they are building in the middle of that still-impoverished neighborhood? A Walmart that no one wanted there (so much for listening to the citizens) As far as the poor folk are concerned, lower prices be damned, Walmarts bring nothing but crime. They don't want it, but the company is building it anyway. The citizens are beyond angry. Whether or not they stick to their feelings & boycott is uncertain, Walmart has an undeniable way of sucking the poor in the doors.

Don't expect me to believe, after witnessing my area fall apart, that Walmart has no negative outcome when they set up shop. To exploit the desire everyone has to save a buck or two by way of running other businesses into the ground drives up the number of unemployed. That big box store only employs so many people, and they darn sure can't take in everyone they put out of business. Then you are left with pockets of people in the neighborhood going broke & sinking in to poverty, empty buildings gathering dust & becoming tagging spots, drug labs, squatter lots, etc. This is a big, fat neon "take advantage of this!" sign for dealers and gangs to flood in. Hello, turf wars, hello violence. And then you have the fallout of when they decide to abandon an area store. A LOT of people suddenly without jobs, a huge empty building, what do you think is going to happen then?
Screw you, Walmart, you do a fine job at sucking the life & livelihoods out of the places you touch.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I really hate all the stupid anti-walmart propaganda, stupid people eat it up.
What i don't get is that when you look at it objectively Walmart, K-mart and Target are really the same exact store. The only difference is Target paid to have their image redone a few years back. But for some reason it is only Walmart that is the root of all evil.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts

It's a phenomenon that is well documented, it wipes out small merchants, and watch who you're calling stupid. This site doesn't work that way.

Capiche?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

ACTUALLY, Wal-Mart is evil, not just for your local community; but the world at large.

You see Walmart looks at a product from another company, say a hunting knife.

Now this knife is made in the USA, with hard steel, retails for about 40$ USD and is a GREAT knife, anybody would be happy to have it.

Wal Mart turns around and says, well, how can we make this same knife, for 10$ and then sell it for 20$?

They go to China and ask around. A Chinese company gives them a price for a bundle of units, say 100 thousand.

Wal Mart retorts with a price that is 20% or even up to 40% lower; and strong arms those manufacturer's into making the product at that price. Cause nobody but Wal Mart will buy that cheap crap.

All the while offering no benefits to it's employees, PRICE MATCHING local competition ( which no local store can do.) encouraging discrimination against women in the workplace, as well as taking advantage of seniors who need the extra money, yet make them work long hours for crap pay.

So no, don't go around stating it's Propaganda, until you can provide evidence that all these things are untrue and that Wal Mart is somehow better than the rest. Truth is Target and others are no better than Walmart in the way they operate.

However Wal Mart has a MUCH greater impact on small towns and cities that open it's doors to them.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I remember in the one nearby Walmart, I used to see all the time many different items priced at $14.88. I recognized this as a white supremacist number - 1488; the 14 representing the "14 words", and the 88 representing "Heil Hitler". It seemed to be far too often to be a coincidence, so I mentioned this to an acquaintance of mine who was active in a particular group and he told me there are white supremacists within the company. It's also worth noting that Walmart did at one time sell shirts with the Totenkopf skull printed on the front.
It does seem that Walmart is in some way associated with white supremacists.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by DavidWillts

It's a phenomenon that is well documented, it wipes out small merchants, and watch who you're calling stupid. This site doesn't work that way.

Capiche?

I didn't call anyone stupid specifically I called the propaganda stupid, so i guess the site does kinda work that way...
edit on 14-4-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join