It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu: Climate change evidence mounting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Energy Secretary Steven Chu: Climate change evidence mounting
By Ben Geman - 04/11/12 04:04 PM ET -- The Hill

Secretary Chu is at it again.

He's making statements and assumptions on behalf of the Obama Administration.

He's been a "one man boondoggle" on several occasions already.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu said Wednesday that scientific evidence of climate change is getting more and more powerful, comments that come as global warming legislation remains moribund in Congress and Environmental Protection regulations are facing ongoing GOP assaults.

“Over the last couple of years, the dispassionate, hard science evidence has been mounting, increasing,” said Chu, speaking at an energy forum hosted by The New York Times.

Chu noted that “we don’t understand everything” and that in past years scientists have actually underestimated the pace of some changes, including sea level rise.
Any genuine proof ?

“It is rising even faster than we thought. The number of violent rainstorms have increased faster than we thought,” he said at the event in New York, adding that though there are “bumps and wiggles” that are not understood, trends are clear in the long term.

“The debate is how much will it change. There are feedbacks both positive and negative that we are trying to understand,” said Chu, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist.
Really ?

Chu’s comments come at a sensitive time for the Energy Department, which is under heavy GOP attack over the 2011 bankruptcy of Solyndra, the California solar panel company that had received a $535 million loan guarantee in 2009.

The administration plans to proceed with more loan guarantees, but other green-energy programs and EPA rules face hurdles.
Hurdles ? Like proof maybe ?

This same gentleman also said this --> Energy Secretary backpedals on call for higher gas prices

Got any credible sources for this Mr Chu ?

Almost forget this gem:

Asked what he has learned from Solyndra specifically, Chu sighed audibly.

“Many things,” he told Friedman. “I can tell you over a beer.”

edit on Apr-11-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Want to know why gas is 5 bucks a gallon idiots like Chu is why junk science that has led to green legislation that has led to increase cost of living across the boards.

Look in to my crystal ball as green legislation increased like in the last 20 years you will see higher prices at the pump and at the grocery store.

That is the way that works save the planet isn't saving your wallets and it isn't saving your jobs since they will be outsourced to countries like China who has no REGULATIONS aka LAWS.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
the evidence is all around us. some are in denial, some are not

one of the predicted impacts of global warming is an ice age for europe. how did last winter go for them ?

if you are looking for hard data, please look into dr. Mueller's work at berekely

he was hand picked by the GOP as a professed global warming skeptic to discredit the data saying it was biased and from too many low quality stations. the GOP wanted to go to congress and say it's all Al Gore exagerrating, and there is no need to change anything

funny thing happened tho

sobering reality

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

one of the predicted impacts of global warming is an ice age for europe. how did last winter go for them ?

if you are looking for hard data, please look into dr. Mueller's work at berekely

he was hand picked by the GOP as a professed global warming skeptic to discredit the data saying it was biased and from too many low quality stations. the GOP wanted to go to congress and say it's all Al Gore exagerrating, and there is no need to change anything

funny thing happened tho

sobering reality

So, maybe "Doctor" Mueller got a check from somebody ?

When will the glaciers hit Paris ?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

funny thing happened tho

sobering reality

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Global warming = ice age in Europe???

If you are going to take global warming advice from anyone at Berkeley, then you clearly have no clue how liberal an institution it is.

Liberal = Al Gore = Man-made Global Warming.

I've said it many times, I'll say it again....

We have to be pretty arrogant to think that we can solely change an entire planet's climate, that is just plain ridiculous and proves one thing....

People still think the universe revolves around the Earth.

There is another thread talking about this same thing that I JUST posted on HERE, and so did neo.
~Namaste

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The evidence around us?

Like increased solar activity and the fluxuation of the Earths magnetic flield any number of things can explain climate change which no one will argue.

People causing it is pure arrogrance that man thinks he knows everything there is to know about everything.,
edit on 11-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Climate change evidence mounting by research... done with state funding.

Pass.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
49 former NASA scientists and astronauts sent a letter to NASA Administrator Charles Bolden last week admonishing the agency for it’s role in advocating a high degree of certainty that man-made CO2 is a major cause of climate change while neglecting empirical evidence that calls the theory into question.

The group, which includes seven Apollo astronauts and two former directors of NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, are dismayed over the failure of NASA, and specifically the Goddard Institute For Space Studies (GISS), to make an objective assessment of all available scientific data on climate change. They charge that NASA is relying too heavily on complex climate models that have proven scientifically inadequate in predicting climate only one or two decades in advance.

H. Leighton Steward, chairman of the non-profit Plants Need CO2, noted that many of the former NASA scientists harbored doubts about the significance of the C02-climate change theory and have concerns over NASA’s advocacy on the issue. While making presentations in late 2011 to many of the signatories of the letter, Steward realized that the NASA scientists should make their concerns known to NASA and the GISS.

wattsupwiththat.com... prical-evidence-rather-than-climate-models/ peace

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Anyone that is open to objectively looking at the data - I can convince you in 15 minutes that global climate change (warming) is both real and is at least in part the result of man's endeavors beginning with the industrial revolution.

It's as obvious as any data can get.

I pick science over pseudo-religious belief structures that make one deny data based upon notions they have presupposed in order to comply with their social group or as a means to feel alleviated from responsibility.
edit on 11-4-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
There is plenty of evidence that the climate is shifting. Last month was the warmest March on record ("on record" being in the last 150 years). But Kyodo had their coldest winter on record. So did Afghanistan and Mongolia. So climate shift evidence is pretty rock solid.

However, the reasons are not known...by either side of the aisle. Liberal Democrats say "it's because of man's influence!!111" so they can raise taxes, kill the economy and increase government spending and totalitarianism.

Conservative Republicans say either "there's no proof of man's intervention OMGLOL!!1" or "there's no temperature changes...meh" so that they can allow corporations to continue spewing crap into the rivers, lakes, oceans and atmosphere.

The only two things undeniable are that climate is shifting, and there is a lot of CO2 in the atmosphere. However, there was more CO2 in the atmosphere 15 million years ago than there is now. Last I checked there weren't any humans around back then.

But of course, since there's man on the Earth today, and there are high levels of CO2 in the atmosphere today, the ONLY connection is that man is the cause!

Except that there are also birds on the Earth! Why aren't they the cause? How about trees? Pomeranians! That's it, I've crack the riddle! There are Pomeranians on the Earth today, but they weren't here 15 million years ago. We must eradicate Poms from the Earth.

Silly? Yes. But so are the claims of global warming activists.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
Anyone that is open to objectively looking at the data - I can convince you in 15 minutes that global climate change (warming) is both real and is at least in part the result of man's endeavors beginning with the industrial revolution.

It's as obvious as any data can get.

I pick science over pseudo-religious belief structures that make one deny data based upon notions they have presupposed in order to comply with their social group or as a means to feel alleviated from responsibility.
edit on 11-4-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

Well,

we are waiting ......

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

This guy is almost as bad as Eric Holder.

So when is the Obama administration,going to give him a raise,and another pat on the back?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

funny thing happened tho

sobering reality

So, maybe "Doctor" Mueller got a check from somebody ?

When will the glaciers hit Paris ?

so in the 7 minutes between our posts, I take it you did not look into the data, conclusions or even the congressional testimony

you're right he's not a doctor, he's a proffesor, that was my mistake

the latest predictions I've read don't call for any glaciation, just dramatic climate change.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Isn't that an oxymoron?

yes. the theory goes that global warming leads to melting polar ice caps which then adds so much fresh water to the atlantic ocean that the currents change, and the warm water that comes up from the south will no longer makes it way up there, and it will get dramatically colder.

global warming also means wet areas get wetter, and dry areas get dryer

so global warming can mean colder temps for some, and lots of rain for some

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

so in the 7 minutes between our posts, I take it you did not look into the data, conclusions or even the congressional testimony

the latest predictions I've read don't call for any glaciation, just dramatic climate change.

Oh I read some of it. I've been reading "it" for years.

I just don't buy it.

Anyone who wants to believe it is OK with me.

Way too much corruption and graft for my nickel.

If something like this was such a major "concern" and such a "genuine threat" to the whole world, why all the big money going to some who have been proven wrong ?

And why all the prolonged stalling ?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I just don't buy it.

If something like this was such a major "concern" and such a "genuine threat" to the whole world, why all the big money going to some who have been proven wrong ?

corruption is on both sides, please don't try to make a case the GOP, and oil companies are innocent victims, lol. the GOP is stalling, which was pointed out in your post

I think most people just want to keep burning oil in their furnace and gas in their car, and stick their head in the sand. this thread is perfect evidence of it. a scientist is raising an alarm and you are essentially shouting him down

why ?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

yes. the theory goes that global warming leads to melting polar ice caps which then adds so much fresh water to the atlantic ocean that the currents change, and the warm water that comes up from the south will no longer makes it way up there, and it will get dramatically colder.

And what caused this the last time ? And the time before that and the time before that ?

Several thousand years ago, the sea levels rose dramatically.

What if it was all "natural" ?

What if it's all "natural" now ?

Can someone actually Prove that the entire polar ice caps will completely melt ?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

corruption is on both sides, please don't try to make a case the GOP, and oil companies are innocent victims, lol. the GOP is stalling, which was pointed out in your post

I think most people just want to keep burning oil in their furnace and gas in their car, and stick their head in the sand. this thread is perfect evidence of it. a scientist is raising an alarm and you are essentially shouting him down

why ?

Corruption.

Graft.

I agree however, let's stop all fossil fuel use tomorrow.

Then we can watch at least 6.5 billion people do what ?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Isn't that an oxymoron?

That is completely contradictory to what you said about Europe...

You are suggesting in your post that Europe suffered from that claim this last year, but that would mean that there is recorded evidence of a DRASTIC shift in ocean temperatures, ice melt and air currents, none of which occurred. Those measurements don't exist or the entire world would have heard about them, so if they don't exist, they aren't happening.

Secondly, I have a hard time understanding how you believe that to be related to CO2 that humans release and not the sun, or changes in the troposphere, or changes in our magnetosphere, or changes in cosmic radiation, or anything else EXCEPT CO2? What about methane? Are you going to dismiss that too?

You can not look at climate through a microscope, which is what you are doing, along with anyone else who believes WE are changing the climate. I looked at the site you provided and it says nothing about climate change, only about what they are doing to TRY and make it a more scientific debate by getting more data. What does that tell you? That they didn't have enough data to begin with to make the assertion that global warming is man-made, so they had to go back to the drawing board and get more data. Considering it's Berkeley, that also says that the funding for such an experiment comes from the GOVERNMENT, and given that it's California and a liberal institution, those dollars come from the same group of people that picked Mr. Chu and are friends with Al Gore. Are you really that naive???

Is the climate changing? YES, I don't argue that... is it changing because of US? No way.... our contribution is the equivalent of a gnat farting in a hurricane. Anyone who argues otherwise is either very misguided, or influenced financially or politically.... or just a sheep. Baaaaaa!

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I just don't buy it.

why ?

Why?

Because 31,000 other scientists agree, and have signed a petition, stating that they do not believe in human-caused global warming.

oism.org

Why does Mr. Chu and others ignore the people who actually have skin in the game?

~Namaste
edit on 11-4-2012 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join