It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: N. Korea Missile Launch Expected in Next 24 to 48 Hours

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

Don't you mean, play by your rules and do exactly as they are told, not actually "play nice"?

It doesn't affect me one way or another. I know the US is a bully, and I also know the US is the first place people call when they need help. I don't agree with the majority of our foreign policy; I support Ron Paul's stances on foreign policy.

Still, I am speaking from the position of what I would do as the leader of NK. I would play nice. Japan and Germany played nice after WWII, and look at them now. During the 80's the US was on the verge of belonging to Japan! Now it seems China owns our debt, but why not NK?

Instead of saber-rattling for peanuts, why not play nice and learn to manipulate the system? If I were the leader of NK, I would find a more conducive way to get what I want, and I would find a way to feed my people instead of tightening the noose even tighter.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So we are supposed to believe this missile thingy that is capable of reaching the US...which is roughly 6400 miles...is a propaganda boom box, doppler radar ???

I don't think so.....

Low Earth Orbit Satellites are only 250miles above the Earth by the way.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Problem is you are thinking like a rational human being...most dictators are not rational or human in the true sense of the word. And they want their people to starve and do without because that is how you control the population...which is slowly happening in the good ol USA, I am sad to say.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
So we are supposed to believe this missile thingy that is capable of reaching the US...which is roughly 6400 miles...is a propaganda boom box, doppler radar ???

I don't think so.....

Low Earth Orbit Satellites

I don't know what you are trying to say? If it can reach an "orbit" of 250 miles altitude, then it can reach anywhere in the world, since it is "orbiting." Or, are you trying to say it is not a satellite launch, but a missile, in which case everyone should be concerned, just not the US, because we are 6400 miles away?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Yes. I am saying why is it long range if they only want to put it in orbit...seems like overkill right?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
For anyone who is wondering...

There is no difference between an orbital booster and an ICBM. Anything that can heft a satellite into any orbit can send a nuclear warhead anywhere on the globe.

Separately, the U.S. formerly withdrew from the ABM treaty in 2002.

The Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty (ABM Treaty or ABMT) was a treaty between the United States and the Soviet Union on the limitation of the anti-ballistic missile (ABM) systems used in defending areas against missile-delivered nuclear weapons.
Signed in 1972, it was in force for the next 30 years until the US unilaterally withdrew from it in June 2002.

Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Japan had no choice but "play nice", the US had just dropped two nukes on them, and they did sign "articles of surrender", I am not aware of any such articles that the NK admin. have signed.

German had to "play nice", because the allies (even though the divide between Russia and the rest of the allies) had armies of occupation in their country(s) for many years after the war, my Father was in the British army of occupation after WW2 in German in the 50's. I am not aware that there is a foreign army of occupation in NK.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by timetothink

I don't think so.....

Low Earth Orbit Satellites

I don't know what you are trying to say? If it can reach an "orbit" of 250 miles altitude, then it can reach anywhere in the world, since it is "orbiting." Or, are you trying to say it is not a satellite launch, but a missile, in which case everyone should be concerned, just not the US, because we are 6400 miles away?

It can only "re-orbit" on a target if it has re-entry vehicles, read up a bit on ICBM's and how they work, also, ICBM's don't go into Geo-stationary, Geo-synchronous, equatorial, or polar orbits, the Us would be able to tell if the rocket was heading for anything but one of those types of orbit, they do know a bit about space, and have radar.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

North Korea has tried on at least a couple of occasions to end the cease fire and replace it with a peace treaty, something the US has refused each time.
A lot of people arent aware that the war has never officially ended, its just been in a state of cease fire since 1953.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
For anyone who is wondering...

There is no difference between an orbital booster and an ICBM. Anything that can heft a satellite into any orbit can send a nuclear warhead anywhere on the globe.

Separately, the U.S. formerly withdrew from the ABM treaty in 2002.

The Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty (ABM Treaty or ABMT) was a treaty between the United States and the Soviet Union on the limitation of the anti-ballistic missile (ABM) systems used in defending areas against missile-delivered nuclear weapons.
Signed in 1972, it was in force for the next 30 years until the US unilaterally withdrew from it in June 2002.

Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty

From your Wiki link, same page, you should read the whole thing really.

The American Missile Defense Agency started a no AMD treaty with Russia, Europe and the USA in July 2003. There was much dispute about the questionability of the reason why there was another AMD treaty when one had failed not many years before. There were union conferences about this matter held in August 2009 which reached the conclusion to keep the treaty until pending investigation.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I know, but the US has meddled in talks between NK and SK, when really they had no business concerning the countries possible reunification, The sad reality is, the Korean war was basically over the politics of Uranium, North Korea has large deposits of ore.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

I believe the North Koreans when they say it’s a satellite launch.

The launch is suppose to mark the would be, 100th birthday of there old leader, who they all believed was God. They say the satellite will broadcast songs to praise they dear leader. I heard all this from a North Korean, via a BBC video.

It is true that a rocket capable of launching a satellite into space is also an ICBM, so this will also be an ICBM test also.

I have never bought into the propaganda about North Korea. It’s been clear that there are forces that would like to go to war with them but I have never seen any real reason. I respect their independence from the world and they have always claimed sovereignty.

I have never liked the idea of going to war with a country unless there was some provocation and it’s approved by congress or better yet the people. I think this is especially true for North Korea because they are so poor and weak compared to the rest of the world.

I will also add that I am not the least bit worried about this lauch. Just another country launching a satellite.
edit on 12-4-2012 by IndieA because: spelling and addition

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

From the same link...

On June 13, 2002, the United States withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty and subsequently recommenced developing missile defense systems that would have formerly been prohibited by the bilateral treaty. The action was covered by the ostensible reason of needing to defend against the possibility of a missile attack conducted by a rogue state.
The next day, Russian Federation promptly dropped the START II agreement, intended to completely ban MIRVS.

The current existence of multiple fully developed U.S. ABM programs would indicate the U.S. has disregarded the treaty regardless of the political rhetoric....

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Did they just launch this missile?

Sorry I haven't been paying awfully close attention to this but it looks like the talking heads are saying NK just launched a missile.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Appears so

link

Reuters) - North Korea on Friday launched its ballistic rocket carrying a weather satellite, South Korea's YTN television reported, without citing sources. The South's Yonhap news agency also reported the launch. The launch has drawn international criticism due to concerns it could further the reclusive state's ability to deliver a nuclear warhead. No further details or pictures were available to confirm the repor

edit on 12-4-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

The US is allowed, under the new treaty to have a certain number Anti-Satellite arms, in certain geographical areas, just as Russia is, back in my comments, I did point out that the US did contravene the treaty when it shot down USA-193 in 2008.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Now we wait to see if the US or it's allies tries to escalate it further into yet another war.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
North Korea now 0 for 4.........nice.........wonder how much money they just wasted.....time for a beer

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fugazzi777

How anti-climatic. Kind of like a bad season finale to a popular tv show.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Its is a failed spy satellite..

These guys got this from china..

Guranteed

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join