It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: N. Korea Missile Launch Expected in Next 24 to 48 Hours

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Official: N. Korea Missile Launch Expected in Next 24 to 48 Hours

abcnews.go.com

North Korea is expected to launch a long-range rocket in the next 24 to 48 hours, according to a U.S. official.

The official says that based on the amount of fuel the North Koreans have pumped into the rocket, the trajectory could be very long. The rocket is now expected to travel south by southeast, crossing over the Philippines and, if successful, splashing down in waters not far from Australia.

“The proposed missile launch, if conducted, would represent a clear and serious violation of North Korea’s obligations under two United Nations Security Council resolutions that explicitl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Well, not long to wait now. I'll hedge my bets on this thing being shot down, either by South Korea or Japan. Or, maybe, that is just what I would like to see happen.

What would the newbie leader's response be to his rocket being shot down? THAT, I want to see even more. My guess? Mumbling and ranting, maybe throwing some knick-knacks around in his room.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I think a well-timed missile shot from a US of A boat might make N Korea re-think.

Hit it mid-air or something right above the launch site would be fun.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I don't think N Korea does anything without being told to do so by China. SO my question is, is this just the new leaders way of proving himself or did China demand he do this?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Interesting how they say it could splash "down in waters not far from Australia" since the U.S. now has new militay bases popping up in Australia all of a sudden. I doubt we know the whole story and I'm not sure if this is just merely "coincidence" or not.

edit on 11-4-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by roaland
I don't think N Korea does anything without being told to do so by China. SO my question is, is this just the new leaders way of proving himself or did China demand he do this?

From the article:

The White House and the State Department have stayed in close contact with Asian nations.

The primary focus, however, has been putting pressure on China to rein in North Korea, which thus far has shown little willingness to cooperate. “It is fair to say that the Chinese are spending most of their time telling the U.S. to relax,” the official said.

It's possible that China has a hand in this. Maybe as a distraction to something they are doing or, perhaps, to "test the waters" so-to-speak, and see how the region reacts and what capabilities the South, Japan, and the U.S. have in intercepting such missile launches.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
They say it's carrying a satellite. Why can't we accept this is most likely true for one second?

Put political stances aside for one moment... DPRK should be respected for getting involved in space, it's a magnificent achievement if it all goes through well. Everytime a rocket is launched into space and successfully puts something into orbit, it's for the better of all of us, no matter which country put it up there. Even if it's intended for spying... it's another feat at getting off the ground and staying in space.

Just think. Space is one thing where the two divided nations can work together. What if DPRK successfully put a satellite into orbit, the south applauds their efforts, and tension eventually drops between their nations until they find something they can work on together, a joint space program. THIS, is what would be good for all of us.

But no... majority of people are more interested in how the US will get involved... can't say i seen that coming
. Placing bets on how they "know" another nation will blindly shoot it down, talk about non-existant threats. Maybe it's carrying a "terrorist" into orbit? Yeh, thought as such.

What ever happened to respecting another nation's sovereignty and applauding them for their achievements? space is the one thing that should bring us all together. Not be an excuse to ridicule and play with lifes.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom

Originally posted by roaland

It's possible that China has a hand in this. Maybe as a distraction to something they are doing or, perhaps, to "test the waters" so-to-speak, and see how the region reacts and what capabilities the South, Japan, and the U.S. have in intercepting such missile launches.

Well China has been slowly expanding trade with Europe. Probably just to expand markets, but it could very well be to offset any financial hits they might take if any new world situations breakout involving China and the USA. Something to keep in the back of the mind for sure

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom

Thats a frightening possibility.
The North Korean generals who use the pathetic "dear leader" are beyond reproach. Kim Jong Un is as powerless as his pathetic father.
he has (supposedly) in his power the destiny of a nation. Rationally he could become a world respected figure if he brought this bedevilled nation out of its belligerent isolation. Instead of a figure of ridicule and animosity he should have the power to become truly great as a benevolent man of the people and a peace bringer to the region. Instead he acts like a child in a global roomful of adults.
Never trust a man in a big hat!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
N. Korea: Its for peaceful space exploration/satellite deployment.
US: NaAh, its for weapons purposes.
N. Korea: Prove it!
US: Umm, we dont have to

Sound familiar Iran?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

What I can't accept about N. Korea launching a satellite is it's country is destitute and has many enemies. If they are going to spend time, money, and resources, it's NOT going to be on a satellite launch.

Granted, they don't appear to have much in the way of common sense...but, I think they have enough to focus on something more directly suited to their immediate needs, i.e. weapons.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

I'd like to believe its a sat...

... but i mean, why spend all the money and time so they can monitor 'forest patterns'

Surely they could acquire it other ways.

My moneys on it being a missile test for IRAN.. just like the nuclear tests are.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I wonder what the odds are of this thing actually making it into orbit?.......I just dont see it happening.....(A)malfunction would be my first guess, given North Korea's track record with missile launches......(B) being shot down before it makes it into orbit would be my secound guess....and (C) a successful launch is the least likely in my opinion.....what are some opinions out there? A,B,C or other?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by fugazzi777

Maybe a malfunction resulting in North Korea's saying that someone or other shot it down so that the sabre-rattling can continue.

We will have to see. But if that thing lifts off the launch pad even an inch...the results will be interesting.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The test will fail at some stage.
why?
because the West knows that people like Amedenijad, Assad, Putin, and Khomeni are metaphorically
sitting around their t.v. to see if the West is all "talk" and no action.
If the West is serious about Iran and their nuke ambition then this is the time to show it.
An unmolested successful NK test will embolden those guys sitting around the t.v.

I'm no war monger but since we have told NK not to do it or else, well then those morons better be able to follow through with their bluff or we lose any credibility and we should just take our toys and go home.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I wanted to chime in to follow this thread.
Anything we say about the missle at this
point is speculation but I will put my bet
on it falling short into the ocean.

I get so angry thinking of how much
money and time this costs and the people
of N. Korea are starving - they don't like
their own people or what? Without
people how do you have a country?
edit on 11-4-2012 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

totally agree with you.....I think if anything goes wrong, North Korea will be blaming somebody.....Im no rocket scientist but that rocket just does'nt look right to me.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Reminds me of this trailer Homefront

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
North Korea has every right to shoot rockets at space. I dont see what the big deal is here. I would laugh if they had some backups and just kept launching until we missed one haha

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
North Korea has every right to shoot rockets at space. I dont see what the big deal is here. I would laugh if they had some backups and just kept launching until we missed one haha

They have right to launch rockets into space, sure. The problem is that they are not trusted by the global community due to threats, erratic behavior, and a suffering north korean populace.

When a nation, as such, decides to launch a long-range rocket for the purported purpose of putting a satellite into space, naturally the world is wary as to whether or not this is what they are truly doing. And, in my opinion, the world has a right to worry and to take action.

North Korea has had many opportunities to prove themselves a non-hostile country and have failed to do so. So how are we to react to this?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join