It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncompromising Photos Expose Juvenile Detention in America

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I've read every post in this entire thread.
Yes, some of these kids do deserve to be in prison, but a lot more do not. When I was teaching, there were three of my students who did frighten me. I felt that one was a Columbine type, while another was quiet and obviously picked on a lot. The quiet one brought a knife to school one day and another student ratted on him before he could act. I often wonder where the other kid is now.
Point being, the rest of my students were healthy, active, and fun to be around. Some were certainly misguided, but certainly not lost. Many of their home lives played a huge part in their temperaments and behaviors.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned how Big Pharma plays a role in this. We're doping kids up younger and younger, then when their hormones start to ramp up, they don't know how to deal with their emotions in a healthy way because they have been kept in a zombie state for so long. So, which came first? The psyche drugs or the behavioral issues? I think more times than not, the drugs came first because the parents wanted some peace and quiet and a chemical babysitter is the easiest thing to do. Although these drugs may prevent kids from feeling their emotions and dealing with them properly when they do experience them, I often wonder how these drugs are rewiring these kids' brains. Something certanly isn't right here.

Anyways, this has been an interesting read and the photos are heartbreaking. I keep trying to open people's eyes about how the US is quickly moving towards prison privitization, but nobody seems to give much attention to this fact, which is sad. Privatizing prisons will make this all so much worse. Just as one poster mentioned the judge who was sending the kids in PA to that private juvi facility for the money, we will hear of much worse. The prison system is big business and it's no wonder that every time a student fails a standardized/entrance exam like the FCAT, the state gets money for a shiny new prison cell. Hmm, I wonder why they just ruled that the FCAT can be made even more difficult?
edit on 12-4-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bharata

this whole country is either in incarceration [at the highest levels in recorded history, 7 times more than any other industrialized nation] or lockdown. and yet still the sheep bleat for their food while hating nature. in that paradigm, no answers can be found.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614
Take it from a Corrections Officer, these kids belong behind bars so to speak. Some that are in our care have tried killing people. I think the fact that they see it on television and hear it repeated in music has a lot to do with the amount of juveniles in jail. Some think it's cool to join gangs, some are forced into it, while others hear their favorite musicians singing/rapping about it and think "hey if they can do it, so can I, it will make me cool".

Thanks for your post,I have a problem with all these bleeding hearts, wanting to give them a hug and all that, while you are doing that they will be trying to stick you with a shank, most of them need to be off the streets, keep locking them up and let them prove themselves, and when they are released it should be mandatory that they are employed for at least one year or they should be returned,

edit on 12-4-2012 by dreamstalker because: correct spelling

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69
Let's do away with all prison's and release all of the inmates back into society and sing cumbya.
Why have prisons? All of you griping about conditions could adopt one of these fine individuals and love them as your own. Put your words into action ...we could start a program and I would like for all of you to volunteer.
Insteade of being in these detention centers we will send them to your house for rehabilitation, then you can help them out and give them a chance.

Great Idea, make sure that they have a daughter so the adoptee can get in touch with his softer side, am I missing something? can you imagine taking in one of these YOUTHS, you had better lock up the silverware and sleep with one eye opened and put a pad lock on the medicine cabinet

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This made me so sad. I posted it to fb this morning and not a single comment. Everyone just loves to ignore this issue.
My husband very nearly went to a Texas Youth Correctional facility when he was 15. He was in juvenile jail for months for violating probation. The probation was for being with his cousin when they took his aunt's car with out permission.
Anyway, his mother was in prison, so when it came time to be released there was no one to release him to. There was a privately funded rehab center with one bed open and since he was drinking at the time of arrest my husband was considered. It was between him and a black boy with a drug charge. We all know that the boy with a drug charge should have been given the rehab spot, but they gave it to my husband and sent the other boy to kid prison. If that bed hadn't been open, they both would have ended up in TYC untill they were 18. In Texas, if you go to juvenile prison you stay there untill your 18th birthday in most cases.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This website looks such a child friendly place,click the link.

The JUDGE ROTENBERG CENTER (JRC) is a special needs school in Canton, Massachusetts serving ages 3-adult. For 39 years JRC has provided very effective education and treatment to both emotionally disturbed students with conduct, behavior, emotional, and/or psychiatric problems and developmentally delayed students with autistic-like behaviors.
www.judgerc.org...

I won`t put the video up,just the link.(this surfaced the other day in an introduction thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

I found this very upsetting to watch (electic shocks being applied to a young guy with autism and behaviour problems) so warning.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Every year, juvenile courts in the U.S. handle an estimated 1.6 million cases in which the youth was charged with a delinquency offense.

The overuse of detention is particularly harsh on youth of color. In 2003, African-American youth were detained at a rate 4.5 times higher than whites. Latino youth were detained at twice the rate of whites. .

Juvenile Justice System

I devise creating a socially acceptable ethnic cleansing/racial genocide called diversity and combining it with pathological altruism and tres chic minority adoptions. If we forcibly mix whites up with minorities then maybe some of the good will rub off of one group and some of the bad will rub off of the other. The other possible solution is to incarcerate more white youth by making it criminal for white children to do well academically or behave in a virtuous socially acceptable manner. If we promote this idea heavily through learning institutions, the media, and government legislation, then finally we will be left with a racially balanced juvenile detention rate!
Woohoo!!

P.S. Why does the article use the term "African-American" but the other less criminally inclined groups fail to get the "American" surname. Is there some kind of psychological trickery behind this? The rap music that I frequently must endure from "African-American youth" when I'm at a filling station uses another term entirely that is presumably more to their preference.

P.P.S. From the quoted article I would also gather that whites are not colorful nor worthy of capitalization. Does white not contain all of the colors of the spectrum?

edit on 13-4-2012 by Wotaneyed because: PPS & double wordery

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Obviously there is no one particular reason for massive youth crime, but for me, the dominant reason is lack of stable family structure (vis a vis the concerted attempt to destroy the "traditional" family)

Now I know a kid with two loving parents can end up doing bad stuff and a kid from a one parent family can be a great person- but the chances are greatly enhanced that you will end up in a bad way if you come from a single parent family (I am lucky to be married, and I know that it is hard enough bringing up two kids with the support (financial, emotional,just in terms of someone else physically there etc) of a wife, never mind trying that on my own)

Whether we like it or not, life was meant to be nurtured in a stable family environment, and whilst this aint perfect it is the best chance we have.

Screw those who for their own selfish reasons try to wreck institutions such as marriage

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotaneyed

yeah, well said- those who try to crowbar their racial group division into such stats are to be treated with disdain- it doesn't work on any level, as it ignores the white kids (who are never their favourite chosen victim group) for a start, and ignores other inconvenient ethnic groupings (such as east asians) who are jailed less than whites...........

The main reason, in my opinion, for the hugely increased incarceration rates for blacks is related to me previous point- lack of stable family structures, this is extremely prevalent within black "communities" (for want of a better word), with chronic family breakdown. But no, the "system" is anti black *does rolley eyes*

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, I'll temper this with my knee jerk reaction to immedately ask what the "poor boy" in the photo did to earn that room and how much I should or shouldn't sympathize as a result. Did his mother just choose loserville and toss the poor kid off to the system? Or...would that be one of the young animal predators we read doing absolutely horrific things to victims before giving the mercy of the killing?

Children - even the ones who do horrible things, are not entirely in control of themselves, because their "selves" are not fully formed yet. This is what it means to be a child, and this is why humane and rational societies sentence children differently than they sentence adults.

This is no mere wordplay. A child's brain is not fully formed. The last partsof the brain to form have to do with judgement and impulse control, and these areas aren't really functioning fully in kids' brains until their late teens.

I'm not saying kids don't deserve punishment. Often they do, and spoiling a child can have consequences as bad as treating them too strictly. But ultimately neither way is good.

You put kids in a mini-prison when they are still in the process of forming themselves and guess what, that's where they will end up as adults too because that's what they'll know. Treating kids as criminals makes more adult criminals.

Somewhere deep down inside most of us realize this intuitively and it makes us uncomfortable to grasp this when we see kids being treated badly in institutions. So to relieve that cognative dissonance. its easier to pretend they "deserve" to be treated badly on some level. Easier, but evil to think that way.

There are kids that could benefit from being institutionalized. But not with the kinds of institutions we have today for them. Uh-uh, no way. Not now and not ever. Fact.

edit on 4/13/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
reply to post by Wotaneyed

ignores the white kids (who are never their favourite chosen victim group) for a start, and ignores other inconvenient ethnic groupings (such as east asians) who are jailed less than whites...........

The main reason, in my opinion, for the hugely increased incarceration rates for blacks is related to me previous point- lack of stable family structures, this is extremely prevalent within black "communities" (for want of a better word), with chronic family breakdown. But no, the "system" is anti black

*does rolley eyes*

You should view this article; it seems that by having a homogenous collective identity you can effect gene expression. My contention has always been that a diversified culture has had a damaging effect on whites and possibly, to lesser degree, blacks. This article demonstrates why this may be.

The depression map: genes, culture, serotonin, and a side of pathogens“Why did fewer East Asians get depressed even though more of them carried the depression risk gene? It wasn’t as if life in East Asia was stress free. The gene seemed to generate vulnerability in one culture and resilience in another. ..As Chiao recognized, several possibilities offered themselves. Might depression be underdiagnosed in East Asians and overdiagnosed in westerners? It might — but probably not enough to account for a complete reversal of the risk dynamic. Perhaps most East Asians carried some other gene that canceled the SERT gene’s depression risk? Again, could be, but it seemed an awfully strong effect... What cultural difference between western whites and East Asians might affect both the prevalence and apparent effect of the so-called “depression gene”?

Black's should have more of a sense of community then any other group. Here in Indiana we have Black and minority health fairs, solicitations on our utility bills for money to help send black youth to "traditionally black colleges", at least one black college, a street named after Martin Luther King Jr., the Indiana Black Expo, not to mention numerous churches and organizations specifically for their particular group. Whites have no such advantages for it would be vilified, nor is there a single holiday for a white American. I'm certain that current culture that white folk have had to endure has nothing to do with equality but a highly successful effort by our CIA/Communist/Banking shadow government that needed to suppress/demoralize the founding majority in order to consolidate the power they now enjoy. Whites have become an unconscious shell of their former selves.

Cumberland Murders Imagine your white son having a black best friend and your white daughter calling him uncle. Your family testifies to this "best friends" character to get him off of rape charges as you've helped him out for years. Because of the diversity factor and a religious inclination, your family is naive in the extreme to his true character. He repays your family by murdering your son and putting a bullet in the head of your talented seven year old daughter while stealing their video game consoles. This kind of thing goes on regularly in my diverse neighborhood; most whites form a kind of cognitive dissonance which replaces actual truth with one less effected by social stigma. It's this capacity at socially acceptable self-deception that renders whites so mentally weak and conflicted.

I have family and friends that have been mugged, raped, burglarized, and yes even a murder by this under privileged group. I don't have to check the FBI Uniform Crime Report to believe in the 250 to 1 black on white crime ratio because I've experienced it. I guess I'm supposed to remind everyone now how many good blacks there are and how that helps justify everything?

There was a really good web site written by an educated liberal that thoroughly addressed all of the common claims for the inequality. I can't find the site for the life of me, but he concluded based on all of the evidence that the difference was biological. He covered rates of maturation, testosterone levels, and even blacks raised by white families. The conclusion being based on selective breeding in sub-Saharan tribal groups where more aggressive testosterone filled males had the greatest number of partners and is likely why the stereotype of the missing black father still persists today. Didn't Jews have a history of slavery, ghettos, concentration camps, and negative stereotypes? This did not harm their ability to excel.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

We need more people to step up. If you have kids raise them quit depending on society to raise em. Be a parent and not a friend. So many single parents want to try to be buddies instead of a parent. When they are older and on their own then you can be friends, until then teach right from wrong, instill morals, and love unconditionally.
Alot of people try to say that they don't paddle their child, I say you have a spoiled brat. Discipline is essential in raising a child and time out does not work after the age of 2 when they figure out that as soon as they get out of time out they can go back to doing what they were doing and all they will get is time out. I dispise when a parent is in the store and they tell their child no, then no again, and then just ignore what the child is doing. As if them ignoring it means it is not happening. Or better yet a child thnat wants something and the parent says no then the child throws a fit then the parent gets them the thing they are throwing the fit for. This is what no discipline get a parent. My children when we goto a store if I say no to something it is no. If a fit is thrown I will put everything back on the shelf where it came from and we go home and talk about it. My children do not run amuck in a store or in public, they know the rules.
We have alot of fun but there are boundaries and they are clear and concise. For every action there is a reward ....some good and some not so good. Bad behaviour gets a bad reward. Good behaviour gets a good reward. It is that simple. As a parent we all make mistakes, akwnoledge them as thgey happen and sincerely apologize to the child. I always talk before and after the paddling to teach my child that by his /her actions there will always be accountability, and they need to understand that they are responsible for their own actions.
If parents would be parents then our jails would be alot less crowded.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The topic of juvenile detention centers will be discussed on an upcoming episode of Out of the Box, airing Monday, February 17th, at 10 pm EST. This thread ties in with the topic.

We're trying to broaden the knowledge of such centers for unruly juveniles, and was fortunate to obtain an interview with the co-screenwriter of "Coldwater".

Trailer:

This was an Indie Film that gained enough reviews that it will be aired in theaters worldwide this year.

You can visit the ATS Live Forum on the above date, and find the thread for Season 2, Episode 6.

I wanted to bump this thread so we can gain more awareness of an often dismissed aspect of our society, and with more exposure, more attention will be brought to this often overlooked topic.

Our youth are our next generation, and we should be guiding them, not sending them off to camps for "rehabilitation". The travesty of that will yield results that we may not have a grasp on yet, until later on, when it may be too late.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join