It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncompromising Photos Expose Juvenile Detention in America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by supamoto
reply to post by korathin

So I'm a "monster" & "degraded" for not wanting to understand Scum that leave irrepairable scars on innocent peoples & their lives forever???
Laughable to say the least!
Yes education is probably the key to all of this but most of this particular type of kid don't want your education just your understanding & forgiveness so they can do it again & then another bleeding heart will go crying to the courts on their behalf again!
People need to grow up knowing that if ' they do the crime they WILL do the time.'
Stop pandering & making excuses for people who wont & can't change because that's all they know.
Change attitudes in society towards VICTIMS & criminals with education.
I don't want to understand crime or criminals because there isn't any excuse for causing harm to innocent people.

You can't even fathom where I am coming from. A lot of them belong in jail, granted(hence why I said you should of read my earlier post), but we live in a society that loves to throw people in jail for victimless crimes.

On top of that, or perhaps as a side point, you seem a little too "overly enthusiastic" over the whole thing in a weird control freak kind of way that just rubs me the wrong way.

Also your attempts at moral back tracking and justification, not really that impressive. I could go more into that, but I risk further censorship.

Personally? I think jails should be the safest place in society. Maybe not the most comfortable, but the safest. It is like with prison rape and prison crime, people who often(and I am going to have to check your other forum replies, just for my own curiosity) who have the "lock them up" attitude, tend to laugh off prison rape as a "well they shouldn't of done the crime".

That there is outright evil. The kind of evil that can't really be redeemed, can't be forgiven.

Plus your approval of authoritarianism(I am guessing your a boomer) in raising the next generation of American's, let's just say if this was a just world, the zero tolerance people would be rounded up and thrown in jail for treason. As it is plain-fully obvious that the zero tolerance crowd are attempting to over throw constitutional rule of law(which allows for mitigating factors and rights/protections, something that is expressly excluded from zero tolerance guidelines), attempting to overthrow our duly elected government via inter-generational subterfuge/psychological conditioning.

So from both a moral and a nationalistic perspective, we will never see eye to eye on this at all. Any further attempt on my part would be nothing more then an exercise in futility, so I have no intention of doing so.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

"hateful and cruel"
Don't blame me for someone elses doing & I don't know kids like who you're speaking about.
I didn't make those kids the way they are.
Their lack of parenting & the understanding by people like you who seem to think that rewading their behavior is the way to go are causing the youth problems of today.
Now because of people like you youths have little or no respect for the law. They see their peers being sent on free trips & being given exciting activites to help build their self esteem all because they broke the law.
Well why not jump ont bandwagon & get some too? All they have to do is break the law & they'll be rewarded also, maybe they'll all go together on the state funded trip & get a free holiday out of it.
Let the good times roll.........
In the UK we call it " taking the living piss"

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by supamoto

In the UK we call it " taking the living piss"

That explains it. Didn't they hang 12 year old boy's for stealing a loaf of bread in the UK during the 1800's? Not a lot has changed it seems. I wonder, did you have any relatives that where visiting the Middle States between 1775-1783? Maybe they ran into one of my ancestors.
edit on 12-4-2012 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Why not argue the about this thread instead of trying to analyse me?
Because you can't! You know you're wrong & you know that by trying to understand crime gets you & others nowhere.
Some people are bad & most aren't.
Why do you want to save bad people at the expense of good people?
Don't try taking the moral & intellectual high ground with me coz you'll loose.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

You still have the death scentence in the US, right????
Yeah thought so.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Looks to me like it's boot-camp for prison, and has nothing to do with actually rehabilitating children to become well-adjusted adults.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by supamoto

Their lack of parenting & the understanding by people like you who seem to think that rewading their behavior is the way to go are causing the youth problems of today.

Where did I ever say "reward" their behaviors? Try understanding the concepts being presented to you rather than glancing over them and interpreting them the wrong way. Just ask yourself why the US and UK have such high juvenile incarceration rates. You can bet your bottom dollar there's a correlation with the types of treatment they receive.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I wonder how many are there for victimless "crimes" such as drug possesion or consentual underage sex?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Many,I would believe.
Even Habitual truancy.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

"Just ask yourself why the US and UK have such high juvenile incarceration rates"

Why cant you just admit that we have bad people in our society? Not all just a minority.
Your too self righteous that's why.
They need to be taken out of society so they don't spoil the rest.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Many of these kids would have been born into a bad situation,kids need good loving stable parents,people they can trust love and respect.

Money is a large factor in not helping these kids toward better lives from the authorities imo..

“At a time when many policymakers are looking at criminal and juvenile justice reforms that would safely shrink the size of our prison population, the existence of private prison companies creates a countervailing interest in preserving the current approach to criminal justice and increasing the use of incarceration.

Approximately 129,000 people were held in privately managed correctional facilities in the United States as of December 31, 2009; 16.4 percent of federal and 6.8 percent of state populations were held in private facilities. Since 2000, private prisons have increased their share of the ‘market’ substantially: the number of people held in private federal facilities increased approximately 120 percent, while the number held in private state facilities increased approximately 33 percent. During this same period, the total number of people in prison increased less than 16 percent. Meanwhile, spending on corrections has increased 72 percent since 1997, to $74 billion in 2007. The two largest private prison companies, Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) and GEO Group, combined had over $2.9 billion in revenue in 2010.
corporatecriminalsexposed.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I am not sure where Canada stacks up compared to the US or other countries, such as those in the bar graph, but the current Government here scares the # out of my with their fundamentalist position. They are currently passing "get tough on crime" laws as such, and following in the footsteps of places like Texas of 20-30 years ago. Texas has even warned, almost begged the Canadian Government to re-think the "tough on crime" stance, because it has proven to not work, and yet with crime stats on a long standing downward trend, the government is going ahead. I weep for the children of today, the ones that will lose parents to the system over minor things, these kids will be the next generation of juvy prisoners, starting a vicious cycle that will take generations to correct and manage.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Anyone else think that it would be far more effective, far cheaper, and far more worthwhile to hire some proper psychologists to take each kid to somewhere like Pakistan for a week?

Most people behave the way they do because of their experiences. Those experiences are often negative ones throughout their childhood. But they have nothing to compare it to. There's no frame of reference.

I truly believe that if these kids actually saw, and felt, what other kids with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING have to live like in some other countries they would realize how lucky they are to live where they do, and to have the kinds of social systems where they are too.

I'll bet that if these kids could see how poor other people really are they would see their opportunities in a completely different light.

You also have to wonder which corporations run these facilities, and how much they are paid for keeping these kids in their boxes, and how much the judges are paid to process them.

I have a feeling there is far more to this than meets the eye, and there is almost ALWAYS someone profiting from it.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
We should be looking to the Scandinavian countries as a model for our system. For some reason their prisons are beautiful and well-maintained.

I think if the environment were improved these kids might have a better outlook on life.

If you come from a hellhole that is all you come to expect from life.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Is the link messed up or something? All i see is pictures of Joe Biden being an asshat.

Nevermind im dumb.

edit on 12-4-2012 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by bharata

Our justice system is completely screwed up.. some kids deserve jail.. the killers, the rapist, the extraordinarily violent.

But most kids seem to be locked up for petty thing and given ridiculous sentences. Same goes for adults..

does everybody think this is a simple coincidence? sorry, but the cynic in me says this was by design. there is alot of money to be made in the prison corporations. why would they want to rehabilitate? they would lose revenue.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I've been in such a detention center- as a nurse and also youth group homes and youth state psychiatric facilities- which are no better.

A lot of this is the result of the drug war. It needs to stop but it keeps too many cops and robbers working.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
nevermind

edit on 12-4-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/12/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is what happens when you privatise the prison system.

Say what you want, but businesses have one goal and one goal only, profit. How do these prisons make profit?

Funding. How do they get funding?

More prisoners. How do they make profit out of their funding?

Shed the costs spent on the staff and the prisoners.

And when that isn't enough, what do they do? Oh yea, make the prisoners produce products to sell on.

Ok, so lets look through this again....

Private company, get money by using people who have been stripped of their freedom, spend as little money on them as possible on such things as food and living, make them create products to sell to others, the money from those products go to the people who own the prisons.

Now, change the word 'prisons' to 'plantations', does this sound farmilier??

Of course they don't want to help them, of course they don't want them to become a law obiding citizen when they leave, they will be loosing their workers! They want as many people in their prisons as possible, hence why USA has they most prisoners than any other country.

Privatly owned = profit goal. Simples.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by supamoto

Yet it really isn't that cut and dry, now is it?

I've been tracking this issue for quite sometime and what I see is a 'system' that likely makes the problem worse.

A Conspiracy Against Children: Exactly who is out of control?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join