It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Gets Sued for E-Book Price Fixing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The US accuses Apple and Hachette, HarperCollins, Macmillan, Simon and Schuster and Penguin of colluding over the prices of e-books they sell.

Read more here BBC

Several companies are being accused of setting E-book prices and it looks like the Justice Department is about to do something about it.

I wonder if E-Book prices will actually drop in the near future.

I personally have never purchased an E-book. I prefer regular books. With all the electronic sharing going on these days, I’m surprised people actually pay for E-Books.

It is definitely a breather of fresh air to see a little corruption uncovered. I guess we will see if justice gets served.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Most of the e-books I buy are 99 cents. If I'm going to pay $15+ for a book I'm going to get the real thing. I don't see this lawsuit going anywhere.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

I didn’t realize they could be so cheap. I’m hearing some E-book best sellers are selling for $10-$20.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I don't know how much e-books are on the iPad. I do know that recently my wife paid less than $20 for the entire Hunger Games series on her Kindle Fire. She also routinely gets books for $0.99. It sounds to me like Apple and the big publishers are missing the boat on e-books the way Sony and others missed the MP3 revolution.

This is a move by publishers to maintain inflated value. Apple had no qualms allowing them to fleece the public if they could insert their company in a position to build a monopoly. Unfortunately, Amazon followed suit to protect a large portion of it's business. They didn't want the publishers pulling the books and leaving them bankrupt.

It is sad to see the publishing industry acting like RIAA. It is even sadder that people still cultishly fawn over every new iProduct when stories like this continue to surface.
edit on 12-4-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join