It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frantic Comet Massacre Taking Place at Fomalhaut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Not quite sure the wording of the title is the way it is which is what attracted me to the story to begin with. Hope there is someone who can explain it satisfactorily in layman's terms.

Anyway here is the story, I thought you might enjoy the story. New planets, suns and stars are being discovered all the time. I find this a very interesting time to live in. What's your opinion?

Nancy Atkinson

There may be some frantic activity going on in the narrow, dusty disk surrounding a nearby star named Fomalhaut. Scientists have been trying to understand the makeup of the disk, and new observations by the Herschel Space Observatory reveals the disk may come from cometary collisions. But in order to create the amount of dust and debris seen around Fomalhaut, there would have to be collisions destroying thousands of icy comets every day.

edit on 11-4-2012 by 1loserel2 because: change

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2
What's your opinion?

Need better glasses to get a closer look.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
maybe its a futuristic space war....

or .. you know... not

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

That's the home planet
of The Dorsai
Anybody fooling with them will get a war

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2
Not quite sure the wording of the title is the way it is which is what attracted me to the story to begin with.

I can't say much either. The title of your post is what brought me in. I have nothing of value to add honestly, except for this awesome photo from the article:

S&F'd so maybe we can get some additional attention to this. Can't wait to hear more about this...
edit on 4/11/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
They say it's a young star (200 million years old from what I'm reading looking it up online), so I suppose it's not too surprising that it should still have a large amount of stuff in its disc that hasn't been sucked in by the gravity of larger objects. As the article says, the amount of cometary stuff in its disc is in a range that we think our own solar system once had, so it's not too strange, is it?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Looks like the formation of a new solar system to me. Sounds like it is simalar to the conditions of our solar system long ago. It's pretty cool having it this close to be able to observe and study. Maybe it will one day help to answer questions about our own solar system. I wonder if it's not comets then possibly it captured a rouge planet traveling through space and crushed it while capturing it. Either way, intersting find and cool photo.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The STAR could be releasing the material into the disk and carrying strong rotations that is keeps the material close. Maybe the STAR was larger before detected and now we see its parts surrounding it...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I watched this vid on comets and found it interesting .. When Planets Gave Birth to Comets www.youtube.com... it seems that we are told what might be going on millions of miles away from us when at the same time science cant tell us whats up within our own solar system ..peace

new topics

top topics

join