It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting, official says

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
I don't know why you keep bringing up Stand Your Ground...multiple lawyers, even Zimmerman's own have said it doesn't apply to this case.

I just watched the press conference by the special prosectur who was asked about that law. Her response is if that laws allows an action that is questionable, they will challenge the application of that law. At no point did I see her state the law does not apply.

As for Zimmerman's lawyer, he just held his first press conference and made no mention it didn't apply. The only ones claiming it does not apply are the media and people repeating what the media states.

In any case, justice has been served. A human died and now a jury will decide if he is guilty of the charge or not.

Your skipping a few steps.. The most important one is the hearing process to determine if their is enough evidence to support the charges. A judge can dismiss the charges if the evidence does not support the charge.

At least for me...that is all I wanted. If he is found innocent, so be it...I don't care other than the case needed to go to court.

The only reason this case is going to court is because of the political / public pressure being applied and the response about how the law works and is applied. I think, in my opinion, the actions we are seeing is to use Zimmerman's situation in order to define the stand your ground law.

As I said, this is going to be an interesting case...
edit on 11-4-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You would have to be a fool to of thought Zimmerman wasn't going to be charged.

If he does get off by the state in a trial God help Florida.

Never fear though the feds will step in and charge him and make sure he's found guilty.

We haven't forgotten what happens when a verdic is not in the liking of public opinion. It would be 1992 all over again.

Now lets see if they arrest the New Black Panthers for the wanted dead or alive posters with a reward. I believe that is a crime in the state of Florida.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

It was Zimmerman's previous lawyers that said it, Craig Sonner....you know....they guy that quit once he found out it was likely they were going to charge Zimmerman with something

wtvr.com...

A lawyer for the man at the center of the Trayvon Martin death investigation said Florida’s “stand your ground” law doesn’t apply to the shooting that killed the unarmed teen.

“In my legal opinion, that’s not really applicable to this case. The statute on ‘stand your ground’ is primarily when you’re in your house,” said Craig Sonner, attorney for George Zimmerman.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

The freaking idiots should also be charged...offering a reward for the life of another.

They are no better than the klan....hate is hate no matter what color you are.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Guilty before proven guilty. All because they didn't want riots in streets.

I hope he gets a fair trial, of course I don't see how that is going to happen.
edit on 11-4-2012 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Charged with second-degree murder for defending himself against a violent thug?

Ouch!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57

Now lets see if they arrest the New Black Panthers for the wanted dead or alive posters with a reward. I believe that is a crime in the state of Florida.

Don't you know they can't arrest an organization when the president of the united states is a chair member?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
As he should be. I don't want to live in a nation where I have to fear being shot by the person I am curb stomping.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by pizzanazi75

Zimmerman is innocent until proven guilty so we need to keep that in mind. That will change at the end of the trial if it gets that far. Any prosecutor who agrees to a lesser charge for a public apology should be investigated for misconduct.

The law and charges are NOT / SHOULD NOT be based on public opinion.

As far as the federal investigation goes it is limited to civil rights violations. Absent that the feds do not have jurisdiction as no federal laws were violated nor did it occur on federal property.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

You can say zimmerman is innocent until proven guilty....im not sitting in a court room and as far as I know you aren't either, that statement only applies there. In this forum of public opinion I don't have to give him any benefit of the doubt. I can claim him guilty all day long, just as you can claim whatever it is you want to claim.

He was not charged on public opinion. He was charged on evidence against him that shows there is probable cause to show he committed a crime. I said he should try and plead down and beg for mercy. Since when is begging for mercy a crime?

I know what the federal charges are limited to. I said if they found any evidence I didn't say they did find any evidence, but they haven't held a press conference yet. I mean Zimmerman did post a pic of 'long live zimmerman' graffiti from an attack in OH.....so the needle points a little closer to maybe he did commit civil rights violations. I don't know.....but I am allowed to believe anything I want, we aren't in a court of law.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

You're right but America has become a country of double standards. One in which we grease the squeky wheel.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
I'm glad to hear this.
Let's hope he is charged and sentenced to the maximum.
God rest that poor child's soul.

He can only be sentenced if he's found guilty in a fair trial. Looks like it's a good thing you're unlikely to be on the jury. Although, the way you say you hope he's sentenced to the maximum...do you have knowledge of the incident that nobody but Zimmerman and Martin do/did? If you do, tell the authorities so you can get him in prison ASAP! If you don't, you have squat...just like every other person on Earth.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightFire

Perhaps they came by the idea by him. After all I believe he puts out bounties on people he considers terrorist before they've had a trail also. Which in my opinion is wrong. You bring them to justice not make your own.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
One of the experienced attorneys that spoke on CNN made an EXCELLENT point; I believe that someone here has mentioned it a while back....

"Why is it presumed that Zimmerman kept following Martin after the conversation with police?"

This is a great point!! I think that the defense will be able to prove that Zimmerman actually followed police orders, turned to retreat from the scene, and Martin attacked him as a result of the confrontation.

Yet, everyone has assumed all this time that 'he kept following him after police told him not to".

Also, guest attorney stated that the Special Prosecutor did see the coziness with the family (unusual) and said that she definitely caved in to the mob...

interesting

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Ah look Holder is already weighing in on federal charges...but no mention of the wanted dead or alive posters.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This news is totally super awesome, I’m super stoked to see him get what he deserves ! I knew our great justice system wouldn’t let us real Americans down.

‘I LOVE AMERICA’
edit on 11-4-2012 by LastProphet527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57
reply to post by KnightFire

Perhaps they came by the idea by him. After all I believe he puts out bounties on people he considers terrorist before they've had a trail also. Which in my opinion is wrong. You bring them to justice not make your own.

I agree my friend.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
People keep bringing up Stand-Your-Ground as justification for George Zimmerman's actions. So riddle me this, batman....

George Zimmerman was the one "stalking" Trayvon Martin. George Zimmerman was the one who was carrying a weapon. To any objective person, that would make George Zimmerman the pursuer/aggressor. Under Stand-Your-Ground, that would give Trayvon Martin the right to retaliate and even use deadly force if he felt his life were threatened. Not hard to come that conclusion if the other guy is holding a weapon.

So...in all reality....Trayvon Martin had the right to "attack" George Zimmerman, in self-defense, if indeed it ever happened.

George Zimmerman should be charged with manslaughter at a minimum.

Trayvon Martin's only "offense" was walking down the street, minding his own business and talking on the phone, with his hoodie up against the rain. Not probable cause for ANY offense. Under the pretense of Stand-Your-Ground, Trayvon Martin had every right to react to George Zimmerman's aggressive behavior.

Can't understand why people are missing this basic fact.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
One of the experienced attorneys that spoke on CNN made an EXCELLENT point; I believe that someone here has mentioned it a while back....

"Why is it presumed that Zimmerman kept following Martin after the conversation with police?"

This is a great point!! I think that the defense will be able to prove that Zimmerman actually followed police orders, turned to retreat from the scene, and Martin attacked him as a result of the confrontation.

Yet, everyone has assumed all this time that 'he kept following him after police told him not to".

Also, guest attorney stated that the Special Prosecutor did see the coziness with the family (unusual) and said that she definitely caved in to the mob...

interesting

Text I think that the defense will be able to prove that Zimmerman actually followed police orders, turned to retreat from the scene, and Martin attacked him as a result of the confrontation.

AND WHO IN THE HELL IS GOING TO BELIEVE A KID WITH SKITTLES AND A CUP OF TEA LOOKING FOR HIS FATHER WOULD BELIEVE THAT BS.
SELL-OUT

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

edit on 11-4-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join