It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting, official says

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
He will beat it.

This is no longer about Justus it now totally about politics. the liberals never did like self defence laws that allowed lethal force.
they also do not like CCW laws that allow a person to carry.

then because it was a member of a minority community that got shot the liberal politician can use that to get votes

The only way the prosecution can win is to cheat, lie, and/or withhold evidence.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
WTF????????

I am disgusted...... no words

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Initial thoughts on the charge - 2nd degree murder.

This case is based on circumstantial evidence and the prosecution is going to have a difficult time making their case.

I am coming to that conclusion based off on the one charge. There are other possible charges that could have been brought and the fact they are not is telling.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
He will beat it.

This is no longer about Justus it now totally about politics. the liberals never did like self defence laws that allowed lethal force.
they also do not like CCW laws that allow a person to carry.

then because it was a member of a minority community that got shot the liberal politician can use that to get votes

The only way the prosecution can win is to cheat, lie, and/or withhold evidence.

Thanks....I agree.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
For those not familiar a Capius prevents bond. Its used to ensure a person goes before a judge first before being granted bond / ror'd.

It has nothing to do with innocence or guilt. Its used to guarantee the accused goes before a judge before anything else occurs.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlguy
As much as it sucks to say, Zimmerman was within the LETTER of the law. The argument is going to hinge on "Did you feel your life was threatened?" because that is the only circumstance where you can use your weapon in the "Stand your ground" law. I am sure that in the heat of the moment, when his head was being smashed into the pavement, that he did feel like he was going to die, but a jury may have other opinions.

It doesn't matter that he wasn't supposed to be armed in the course of his "policing". Doesn't matter that the 911 op told him to stay in the car. Doesn't matter that he approached Travon (and I am speculating) first. None of it makes a hill of beans worth of difference in the case. What matters is who touched who first. If it was Travon touching Zimmerman in any way - it will be argued that Zimmerman acted in self-defense. If Zimmerman touched Travon first, then the situation changes somewhat - but doesn't change the fact that Zimmerman can say he was in fear for his life.

That's how the law is written folks - it's pretty clear. In Florida, (and a few other states) if you feel like your life is in danger - you can shoot to kill. It's the ONLY reason Zimmerman wasn't arrested on-site.

The end-result of all of this is going to be a hung-jury with the outcome of Zimmerman walking. Then the riots will start.
edit on 4/11/2012 by atlguy because: (no reason given)

According to the ex Gov of Florida Zimmerman was not in the letter of the law. When he went against the advice of the dispatcher he gave up all right to claim the stand your ground defense. Zimmerman put himself in that situation so there is no way he can claim self defense when he chased the person down.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Well the truth is he wasnt acting in self defense under FL law.

Its all outlined within this book which FL LE and prosecutors use as a guide to the meaning of the laws.

www.floridafirearmslaw.com...

He is guilty of using deadly force as a method to stop battery. It resulted in a death so the charge is murder.

If he dropped the gun on the ground and it went off and hurt someone or the bullet went on through something and hit someone it would be manslaughter or negligent homicide.

If you dont believe it you can pony up the $32+ shipping and see for yourself.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Mob rule plain and simple. To bad for Zimmerman double jeopardy doesn't apply to accusations.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Florida

Defenses to Second Degree Murder

In addition to the pretrial defenses and trial defenses that can be raised in any criminal case, specific defenses to the crime of Second Degree Murder are:
Excusable Homicide

The killing of a human being is excusable, and therefore lawful, under any one of the following three circumstances:

When the killing is committed by accident and misfortune in doing any lawful act by lawful means with usual ordinary caution and without any unlawful intent, or

When the killing occurs by accident and misfortune in the heat of passion, upon any sudden and sufficient provocation, or

When the killing is committed by accident and misfortune resulting from a sudden combat, if a dangerous weapon is not used and the killing is not done in a cruel or unusual manner.

Justifiable Homicide

The killing of a human being is justifiable homicide and lawful if done while resisting an attempt by someone to kill you or to commit a felony against you.

Self Defense

Also known as the justified use of deadly force, self defense is a defense to the crime of Second Degree Murder. Please view the Florida Self Defense section for more information.

Guess we shall see what a jury believes.
edit on 4/11/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'm glad he is being charged with 2nd degree murder.
For everyone saying that he is innocent.
You can't be charged without evidence, obviously there is evidence.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
2nd degree murder.

He will get off just like Casey Anthony.

IF you're going to kill someone, do it in Florida.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Or people can go to the Florida government website and access all the current statutes in use in the state of Florida. Secondly, and I will say it again, you guys really need to stop speculating while passing it off as fact because it is anything but.

The stand your ground law will no doubt make an appearance should it ever make it to trial. The PA just stated at the press conference that if they feel the stand your ground law provides an affirmative defense in a case where it should not apply, they will fight against it.

As I stated before - this case is being based on circumstantial evidence.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
WTF????????

I feel like I just watched a pound of flesh get carved up and served on live stream.

The SP's use of the phrase "precious victims" & the way she opened the press conference made me think she is more worried about media coverage than law.

OiO

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
A rhetorical question to ponder...

I believe George Zimmerman is:
a. guilty
b. not guilty
c. maybe we should wait until more facts come out before forming an opinion
edit on 4/11/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
I'm glad he is being charged with 2nd degree murder.
For everyone saying that he is innocent.
You can't be charged without evidence, obviously there is evidence.

and for those saying he is guilty he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

A probable cause statement (PC) is a brief overview of the charges and how those charges apply in the case. A person who is charged is not guilty, they are still innocent.

A charge literally means that based on all of the information and facts / investigation there is probable cause to believe the person named violated the law based on that info / facts / investigation.

Probable cause does not mean guilt. It means the PA's office is making their charges based off of their interpretation of the evidence.

The defense will do the same thing.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne

Originally posted by ButterCookie
WTF????????

I feel like I just watched a pound of flesh get carved up and served on live stream.

The SP's use of the phrase "precious victims" & the way she opened the press conference made me think she is more worried about media coverage than law.

OiO

Yes I seen that too, I was thinking, wait she shouldn't be talking like that, regardless she sounded like she was best friends with the family, it was creepy, i can understand sympathy but to me she was one sided on this.

link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
A rhetorical question to ponder...

I believe George Zimmerman is:
a. guilty
b. not guilty
c. maybe we should wait until more facts come out before deciding

I'll take outer planet for $500 Alex....

George Zimmerman is innocent until found guilty in a court of law.

link   
OK he's been charged.

Zimmerman charged with second-degree murder
George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who says he was acting in self-defense when he fatally shot teenager Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida, has been charged with murder in the second degree, special prosecutor Angela Corey told reporters Wednesday.

Corey said that Zimmerman has surrendered to authorities in Florida and has been arrested.

Police say Zimmerman fatally shot Martin, a 17-year-old African-American, on February 26 in Sanford, Florida, after Martin began walking home from a convenience store. Zimmerman, who is Hispanic and was a neighborhood watch volunteer, had called 911 to complain about a suspicious person in the neighborhood. He was released without charges after claiming self-defense, but the case was referred to a special prosecutor as thousands converged on Sanford to join in protests calling for Zimmerman's arrest.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

NOW, will everyone please, for the love of God just shut up about this now, enough already!

Let's move on.. imho, this story is overblown, or now it is I should say, since the shooter's been charged with 2nd degree murder and the court and the jury will decide.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pizzanazi75

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
2nd Degree Murder

Now if the prosecutor can get an all-black jury, she'll have a home run and a bright political future.

Second degree murder, seriously? I guess getting physically attacked is no longer a good enough reason to defend yourself. I may not know all the 'facts', but I do know this - the "special prosecutor" filed charges, NOT the police. So the police don't think there is enough evidence but this SP does? I smell political posturing. If this special prosecutor woman doesn't run for office after this, I will eat a baby seal in front of PETA's headquarters.

edit on 11-4-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

Guess you didn't follow the case at all. The lead investigator recommended homicide or manslaughter charges that very night. So you are wrong the police did want to charge him......they were shot down by State Attorney Wolfsinger.
And the SP has already run for office. Her position is elected. She is well respected in FL. I guess you better get ready to eat baby seal in front of PETA.

Agreed.
This could end up tarnishing her career though. She very well may not get a conviction, which will not set well with the people that believe that Zimmerman committed a crime. She will not score any points with the people that believe Zimmerman should not have been charged. To me, it looks like a 'lose/lose' situation for her. It is a shame, because she is just going to be doing her job now, regardless of whether or not political pressure has been applied to her up to this point.
I agree with your earlier post that this will most likely end up with a hung jury.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
For those who want more info -
Florida Statutes - Crimes - Homicide Chapter

Murder

(2) The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) When a person is killed in the perpetration of, or in the attempt to perpetrate, any:
(a) Trafficking offense prohibited by s. 893.135(1),

(b) Arson,

(c) Sexual battery,

(d) Robbery,

(e) Burglary,

(f) Kidnapping,

(g) Escape,

(h) Aggravated child abuse,

(i) Aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult,

(j) Aircraft piracy,

(k) Unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb,

(l) Carjacking,

(m) Home-invasion robbery,

(n) Aggravated stalking,

(o) Murder of another human being,

(p) Resisting an officer with violence to his or her person, or

(q) Felony that is an act of terrorism or is in furtherance of an act of terrorism,

by a person other than the person engaged in the perpetration of or in the attempt to perpetrate such felony, the person perpetrating or attempting to perpetrate such felony is guilty of murder in the second degree, which constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

In order to be charged, Zimmerman's actions must violate the elements above. For those not familiar with how this works a person must violate elements of the law in order to be charged. When reading a statute there are 2 important words - "and" as well as "or".

When you see "and" it means everything listed must be met in order to charge a person with a violation.
When you see the word "or" it means a person must only violate parts of the law in order to be charged.

In this case its based on section O - murder of another human being.

Also the way the law is worded is like the stand your ground law. A person can violate the law unless a person is violating it at the time of contact.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join