It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting, official says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

I have no problem with the law itself, but I think the killer should still be detained until there is definitive proof that he acted in self defense.

Hate me if you want to but that seems reasonable to me.
edit on 11-4-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

I can agree with that, but I can't agree that it's ok for the media to call him WHITE when he's a hispanic, and for the media to say he was uninjured at the police station, when I could see his nose was swollen and that there was some sort of wound on his head. I can't SEE letting the black panthers stand up there and say kill the white people and no one arrests them.

I can't SEE that white people as a whole, were not demonized by this. I really try very hard to treat everyone fairly and with respect, but I don't like these things. They are all separate from the actual CASE though, mind you. That's for the courts to deal with, and, IMO, LOCAL politics. If local politics fails, it's for the state or fbi to investigate - its not for the UN to have a say so in. Screw them. Why don't they go deal with all their member countries killing people for being gay or witches.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
If he had been arrested and there had been a proper investigation to begin with we wouldn't be having this debate.

It is insane that in a democratic and free nation in 2012 a man can shoot a youth and not even be held for the investigation. To simply "assume" innocence for absolutely no reason (other than race?) and especially when the stories are simply not credible (self defense, broken nose, head smashed against pavement... with no sign of injury or even ruffled clothing... really?) is as bad as assuming guilt.

The police f**ked up (or have been corrupt beyond belief), the media played on it, the people have been complete idiots.

He should have been arrested, and there should have been a complete investigation from the night it happened. Now, he needs to face justice, the media need to be called out for their influence over an ongoing criminal case, and the people cheer-leading for Zimmerman really need to take a hard look at the facts and face the truth - they assumed Treyvon's guilt based on nothing more than his color, and they ignored the blatant BS espoused by Zimmerman and his father.

This case has not only exposed some really stupid laws, it's exposed the corruption of the local Police responsible for this farce, and it's exposed the inherent racism in America too.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
As much as it sucks to say, Zimmerman was within the LETTER of the law. The argument is going to hinge on "Did you feel your life was threatened?" because that is the only circumstance where you can use your weapon in the "Stand your ground" law. I am sure that in the heat of the moment, when his head was being smashed into the pavement, that he did feel like he was going to die, but a jury may have other opinions.

It doesn't matter that he wasn't supposed to be armed in the course of his "policing". Doesn't matter that the 911 op told him to stay in the car. Doesn't matter that he approached Travon (and I am speculating) first. None of it makes a hill of beans worth of difference in the case. What matters is who touched who first. If it was Travon touching Zimmerman in any way - it will be argued that Zimmerman acted in self-defense. If Zimmerman touched Travon first, then the situation changes somewhat - but doesn't change the fact that Zimmerman can say he was in fear for his life.

That's how the law is written folks - it's pretty clear. In Florida, (and a few other states) if you feel like your life is in danger - you can shoot to kill. It's the ONLY reason Zimmerman wasn't arrested on-site.

The end-result of all of this is going to be a hung-jury with the outcome of Zimmerman walking. Then the riots will start.
edit on 4/11/2012 by atlguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This might be the actual reason behind his lawyers bowing out.

Rats flee a sinking ship.

I think this should happen in any death scenario, especially in confrontations started by the shooter and no other decent witness left alive.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I also feel that this was only done to prevent mass rioting; basically, the Florida criminal justice system catered to the race baiting.

I'm now wondering if this is somehow politically tied....

I've believed that Zimmerman shot Martin out of self defense (and guess what? I'm black)

Just seems to me that Obama supporters/ campaign were seeking any situation like this to blow up and gain public empathy.

Sorry, but that's how I feel.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

This case has not only exposed some really stupid laws, it's exposed the corruption of the local Police responsible for this farce, and it's exposed the inherent racism in America too.

The stupid laws are a local issue to decide. If you don't LIKe the laws there, and live there, work to change them or do your best to MOVE.
The corruption is a big issue, but again, it should have been a LOCAL issue that the locals dealt with. Failing that, it should have been brought to the state authorities.

I don't think it's exposed inherent racism- everyone with any sense knows there has ALWAYS been some there - but I think it has made it much, much worse.

By becoming a national issue, it's worsened race relations, divided the lower classes when they should be united, and it's distracted the entire population from other matters that really could affect each of us much more personally.
edit on 11-4-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Good. The man should of been arrested in the first place.

And his self defense claim is very weak.
His head wasn't "smashed" into the ground. I think we will find out it is a result of something else. If Martin was really a thug, I can tell you that literaly having his head smashed into the ground would of knocked him silly, knocked him unconcious, and would of resulted in needing stitches at the very least for any of these things.
Head wounds bleed like faucets. There wasn't enough blood around to even warrant that. If he was able to walk away, there wasn't a real threat. Because any real "thug" would of known how to smash his head silly.

Fact is a grown man killed an unarmed boy, armed with nothing but a can of ice tea and skittles. If he didn't have the faculties to wrestle the kid harmless, he should of left him alone and not pursued him.

The 911 operator told him to stand down. He didn't, Now a 911 operator isn't law, but neither is a 911 operator telling you to get out of the house burning to the ground, but its a pretty good suggestion to follow.

We will find that Zimmerman is a vigilante, a coward, and a squirrel.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Well, here we go. Political correctness or Justice Being Served.

This matter will split the country even further apart than Obama is doing. Well, this case will go on for some time and probably become one of the most watched cases in recent times.

And, I think G. Zimmerman will be spared any convictions when the case gets before his peers... that being said with what we know about the case to date.

Get the popcorn out.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Justiced being Served.

Is this a thread about Zimmerman or Obama? Im a little unclear?

This matter will split the country even further apart than Obama is doing.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

Originally posted by GmoS719
I'm glad to hear this.
Let's hope he is charged and sentenced to the maximum.
God rest that poor child's soul.

Forget whether Zimmerman was acting in self defense. Just so long as you get your blood, right?

Forget whether Trayvon was acting in self defense (and not breaking any laws) .... just so long as Zimmerman says he did it in self defense right? I mean, Zimmerman already got his blood, right?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I fear there will be riots after the trial.

It only takes one of twelve jurors to prevent a conviction. If there was a strong case to begin with, Zimmerman would have been charged the evening of the killing. He wasn't, so I am inclined to believe that there will not be any conviction. Look at the OJ Simpson/ Nicole Brown Simpson case, they had victim DNA at OJ's house and in his car, a shovel and a roll of plastic in his car, his blood at the crime scene...... no conviction.

But, stranger things have happened.

ETA: We are not even sure what crime he will be charged with. The prosecution will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did what they will be charging him with.

edit on 11-4-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

It only takes one of twelve jurors to prevent a conviction. If there was a strong case to begin with, Zimmerman would have been charged the evening of the killing. He wasn't, so I am inclined to believe that there will not be any conviction. Look at the OJ Simpson/ Nicole Brown Simpson case, they had victim DNA at OJ's house and in his car, a shovel and a roll of plastic in his car, his blood at the crime scene...... no conviction.

I agree.

As you stated, if the case was strong enough for a strong enough conviction, they would have arrested him two months ago.

I'm guessing man-slaughter, if anything.

And yes, however it goes, there will be rioting.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Yeah you should look at the OJ case, just because 'police had those things' didn't mean they didn't put them there. I never thought I would defend OJ Simpson, but there is compelling evidence that he helped cover up the murder but did not commit the murders. He was protecting his son.

A lot of people have screamed 'innocent until proven guilty'...well OJ and Casey were ruled not guilty and they still are perceived as guilty by most everyone.

I know its off topic, but it was brought up to prove evidence in a case, and then someone getting off the charges. The OJ case is a prime example of just how the police will do anything to 'save face' and get a conviction.

OJ Simpson Guilty But Not Of Murder_1.avi

OJ Simpson - The Untold Story - part 1

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
If I had a gun in hand and could have made use of the fear of life justifying deadly force laws there would be a trail of bodies in my wake. I have had several incidents in my life I would not have hesitated to shoot people as I was truly scared of being killed.

Funny thing is I did not have a gun and I am still here............... Was my fear rational? It was completely rational to me, to this day. Makes me wonder how exactly does one define "Afraid for my life"?

Anyone remember Rodney King? "The System" has two choices in this case.
1. Try Zimmerman and convict Zimmerman
2. Try Zimmerman and let him off entirely.

"The System" will tell us soon enough of their intent. We will know then if the riots are gonna happen or not.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PutaMuerte
If I had a gun in hand and could have made use of the fear of life justifying deadly force laws there would be a trail of bodies in my wake. I have had several incidents in my life I would not have hesitated to shoot people as I was truly scared of being killed.

Funny thing is I did not have a gun and I am still here............... Was my fear rational? It was completely rational to me, to this day. Makes me wonder how exactly does one define "Afraid for my life"?

Anyone remember Rodney King? "The System" has two choices in this case.
1. Try Zimmerman and convict Zimmerman
2. Try Zimmerman and let him off entirely.

"The System" will tell us soon enough of their intent. We will know then if the riots are gonna happen or not.

Im pro 2nd ammendment, but reading your post makes me think people like you shouldnt have a gun.
"I felt scared of being killed" could be said by a 18 yr old with extreme paranoia, and be said by a 60 yr old completely reasonable, smart person. There is a lot of room there for abuse.
edit on 11-4-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pizzanazi75

Yeah you should look at the OJ case, just because 'police had those things' didn't mean they didn't put them
there. I never thought I would defend OJ Simpson, but there is compelling evidence that he helped cover up the murder but did not commit the murders. He was protecting his son.

A lot of people have screamed 'innocent until proven guilty'...well OJ and Casey were ruled not guilty and they still are perceived as guilty by most everyone.

I know its off topic, but it was brought up to prove evidence in a case, and then someone getting off the charges. The OJ case is a prime example of just how the police will do anything to 'save face' and get a conviction.

OJ Simpson Guilty But Not Of Murder_1.avi

OJ Simpson - The Untold Story - part 1
Thank you for backing me up.
As you state, the defense was able to create reasonable doubt in what was viewed by many as a slam dunk for the prosecution in the Simpson case.

What is the evidence that the prosecution has to present in the Zimmerman case?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Good luck finding him. Rumor has it that hes fled the state.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I'm glad to hear this.

Forget whether Zimmerman was acting in self defense. Just so long as you get your blood, right?

Interesting fact brought forth by George Will ABC News: On average 150 black teenagers

are killed every week.

94% of those killings are black on black.

Why are we ignoring the 94% tragedy ?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

I'm glad to hear this.

Interesting fact brought forth by George Will ABC News: On average 150 black teenagers

are killed every week.

OH MY goodness, That many?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Good luck finding him. Rumor has it that hes fled the state.

The attorneys said that if anyone wanted to look for Zimmerman, they'd better look much farther than Florida....

Where is he?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

I'm glad to hear this.

are killed every week.

I don't know. Why are you doing that? I hear black people talk about it all the time on the radio, on the internet. Maybe you just don't see it because you aren't all that concerned about it.

Furthermore, why aren't we talking about white on white crime? Aren't white people killing each other too? What about Hispanic on Hispanic crime. Stop with the false narrative. Black people aren't the only race engaged in killing their own.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join