It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need your thoughts..alternative heat source.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
OK fellow ATSers I've got an idea that I would like to run by you, to see if it could be done. I didn't know where to put this but I did a search and no posting on anything similar, Mods if it needs moved then so be it.

I thought survival, well because a lot of people including myself are looking for ways to produce heat without the draw of attention to a blatant obvious smoke pillar, so I got to thinking. What natural and I mean 100% natural source of gas could be used as a heat source for cooking/heating for a start. So I thought of these little guys the cockroach

Yes that's right these little guys even though considered the scum of the earth could very well be the saviour for us if this idea could be achieved.

My Idea would be to construct a container that could house X number of these critters, as they live, breed, eat, and lay waste in form of methane, Could a escape proof container with lines going to a regulator valve, and feeding lines, could we use this form of methane gas? with no harmful effects?

I know that this is thinking way out of the box, and I hope I'm not the only person to have thought of this

But I fear I stand alone lol but that's OK I'm used to it.

scienceray.com...
www.bio.umass.edu...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
probably best to just do it the traditional way and put poop in a container and let it ferment as i think it'd take far too many roaches to produce enough poop to make it worth while

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

You may be able to extract more methan from camp inhabitants? it would take a massive amount of these to warm a camp ect.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
In theroy it could work. But I don't even want to think about the amount of cockroaches this would require. Millions? Billions? I shudder at the thought. The best way to do a methane capture of off a septic tank. Gene's can be run off methane.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I agree with the other posters.....the fecal matter of larger mammals would be a better choice than thousands of those creepy-crawlies. I would rather freeze to death than have a bunch of bugs in a box in my house.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
compost piles actually go up to 170+ Fahrenheit. i think i remember something about running water pipes through them to heat up water, the outside of the pile doesn't get that hot its just on the inside.. if you put air vents through them into your house, then that would heat up the house good. air flow also helps compost so it works good dual wise.

there is alot of untapped energy release in compost piles.

they need sunlight, airflow, and moisture.

if done correctly the smell should be minimal

www.youtube.com...
if someone could embed it,thanks.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Nephlim because: edit to add video

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

Ahhh man, I was gonna say compost! LOL

Geothermal heating...

put them together even...

then feed a series of lamina flow stirling engines

green tech ftw