It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown Indian tapestry (Family Heirloom)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Note to Mods I am not sure where this topic belongs?

This belonged to my Great Grand Mother. Her and my Great Grand Father where farmers their whole life.
They where married on 11-7-1899 and lived in West Branch Michigan for close to 72-75 years. In fact they where married for over 71 years which is unheard of nowdays.

Anyway I have this small indian tapestry that belonged to her and have no Idea what it is or what it represents.
I would like to know what it possibly is? This is why I am bringing it to the attention of ATS in hopes of some members might have some answers.

It measures "26 X "16 and is handsewn on what appears to be Hemp fabric with very vibrant colors.
I have included a photo of the rear to show the intricate stitching.

The front:

The rear:

Here is a historical newspaper clipping of my Dear Great Grand Parents from the 70's

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Looks like an Armadillo and some fish...

Then again appearances can be deceptive...

It also looks like something i could quite plausibly buy in IKEA.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Ikea? Where is Ikea or what is Ikea?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by proob4

No IKEA in Michigan? Hmm must be a European thing...

It's a furniture and household convenience store, Quite commonly the stock it sell's is influenced by the destination in which the shop is placed, For example an IKEA at Lanzarote in the Canary islands will sell soft furnishings influenced by local Spanish (canarian) culture

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

it looks similar to a cycle of life thing... like the Shiva somewhat at first glance.

I am running low on sleep, been packing all night.

I'll save it, I love deciphering images like this.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Oh no I assure you this is not something like that. I found it in a box along with old photo's of my GGP and the newspaper clipping of my GGP. Box was in my late Mothers home and apparently was something she kept of her mothers.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Thanks looking forward to your input.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

BTW it's Native American Indian and not Idonesian.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Really cool and interesting piece. At first glance, I thought it was symbolic of the four elements: earth, air, fire, and water. The bird in the upper left is pointing east, one fish is pointing south, the other fish is pointing north, and I can't discern the final picture in the bottom right corner. Literally I cannot make heads or tails of the last one.! One part of it resembles the tail of the other fish, non-symmetrical. Keeping with the four directions theme, the thing should be pointing to the west.

Great item, cherish it.!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

Yea the half-fish portion kinda bewilders me also. My great Grand mother had indian in her as well. I would not be surprised if this was her own creation. They was true farmers. I remember visiting them as a child and they had no plumbing for the first time in my life I learned what a outhouse was. I even have photo's of my G.Grandma showing electrical wires running outside their walls and ceiling. After creating this thread and doing some soul searching, recalling and rememberance I think that she was from the "Soo" tribe if i am not mistaken.
I have more historical photo's I am going to scan of my G.Parents going way back that I feel might add to the seriousness of this thread. I just am curious.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
Looks like an Armadillo

Yes on first examination, but do Armadillo have 6 legs and antenaie? This puzzles me. I know that it shows only 3 but why not 4 or six. 3 or 6 legs represents insects. Again why the antenai?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Did you grandparents ever tell you anything about the tapestry?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

My grandparents have been married since 1951 and they started dating in the late 1940's so no, it's not unheard of nowadays. Theyre still alive and live in Kentucky just outside the Ft. Knox reservation in their own home. My papaw is in his 80's, and my mamaw is in her 70's and for anyone who wants to poke fun at what i call my grandparents, (on my dad's side) we come from the cherokee reservation in N.C. and my mothers side comes from the cherokee reservation in O.K. and it's by the grace of Yeshua the Christ, My mamaw got so mad at my papaw once she hit him in the head with a frying pan...he still wears the knot ontop of his bald head.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

No nothing I can remember anyway. Like I said it was found in a box of my late mothers posessions along with photo's of my GGP.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Well hopefully they live to see their 71st anniversary or beyond also. LOL about the frying pan. That actually brings back one of the only memories I have of my GGP. I remember playing on their farm around some shed or something. I came across a hornest nest not knowing what would happen. I was stung severly, I also remember how angry my GGM was and her chasing my GGF around with a frying pan or iron skillet and her screaming at him for not getting rid of the hornets nest earlier like she had told him. And then how loving and caring she was pampering me and humming to me as she tended to my stings.
edit on 16-4-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join