It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it good to recommend teenagers ATS for education ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I have this 14 year old cousin and I am thinking about showing him the way to ATS. Although some threads are above his "pay-grade" I still think he can wise up about stuff that is going on in the world.

On the otherhand I fear people will take him for someone with too much imagination when he will discus some of the 'conspiracies".

But then again true things are said and there are some really intelligent people here on ATS from whom he can learn how to think out of the box.

What do you guys think..?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

If you want to Scar the poor teenagers mind for life i would go ahead and say, Yes.

edit on 11/4/12 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by zatara

I wouldnt. Kids worry about stuff. Im sure at 14 he has enough to worry about already.

link   

Originally posted by zatara
I have this 14 year old cousin and I am thinking about showing him the way to ATS. Although some threads are above his "pay-grade" I still think he can wise up about stuff that is going on in the world.

On the otherhand I fear people will take him for someone with too much imagination when he will discus some of the 'conspiracies".

But then again true things are said and there are some really intelligent people here on ATS from whom he can learn how to think out of the box.

What do you guys think..?

My opinion? I enjoy the kids here. They sometimes bring a fresh perspective.. and kids are just fun anyway. If he is interested in this stuff.. heck yeah, bring him on in! How can he refine his adult beliefs and opinions if he isnt met by opposition and other info in his youth?

My 18 yr old was maybe 13 or 14 when she came here first before we moved. It was bumpy, but good for her. We moved and she made a new acct.. but then got a car and forgot about ATS. I hope, but I doubt she is in that car spreading truth to the hungry masses

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Don't, he is going to be twisted, you need certain age requirement to process some information on this site, it can be psychological to younger ones and affect their lifestyle.

I would say at least 18-19+~

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I say no.
It's too addicting to be here. They won't get anything else done......
Plus, there's a lot of bad on these boards, excessive religion, racism, bigotry......

Some you have to take with a grain of salt....
Lots of false stuff....
Some stuff better to not know yet.......

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Perspectives. Nothing wrong with opening the mind up to perspectives. As an atser should should already be in understanding of this.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
- Said to be the words of some supposed genius.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
ROFL, lots of people taking themselves and ATS way too seriously up in here.

It's an internet forum, people. Encourage him to take a course in critical thinking. Now there's a whacky, subversive idea!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by camus154

It's More than just a Forum! It's a prison of the Mind maaannn!.....

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Teenagers, especially boys, don't carry a lot of self responsibility with them because, well... inside, they're still 8 or 9 and have Mom and Dad to cover their boonkies. Males in Jr. High and High School tend to exhibit a very fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to sharing ideas and debating opposing opinions. They generally fall back on the pooper-scooper and start ladling stinky stuff out in large, quantities where guffaws and belly laughs replace respect and honor.

No, I think ATS is great for learning the meaning of free speech and that one must give that respect in order to get it. But as for the rest of education? Nah... leave them in the classrooms just a spell longer.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I just recently signed up myself to take part in debating the issues, I find it interesting and enjoyable to discuss the wide-range of topics on offer. The beauty of places like this is that there is such a diverse range of opinions and personalities on display that you experience things that you wouldn't otherwise have done in our insular and stagnated unicultural societies.

I, for instance, live in North-East England, and it seems increasingly common that people here are put into boxes for the way they look and act, and for what they say and believe. Just by expressing a different opinion to the group you can be demonised, even when you offer an 'alternative' theory that you don't even neccessarily believe yourself you can be set apart from the crowd.

ATS is largely anonymous if you want it to be, so you can be free to speak your mind without fear of the consequences. It offers an excellent alternative to the mainstream views that dominate society, and can educate you if your mind remains open to all possibilities. It is a tool for development as well as a bit of fun.

Discussion like what you see here is overwhelmingly positive and it can expand the mind and open doors into new avenues of exploration. As long as you remember to mention that everything here needs to be taken with a pinch of salt (no different to the MSM or education systems then!), then I would certainly reccomend the site to anyone.

You need to be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brain falls out!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
No way. There is just to much ignorance on this board, ironic i know, for it to be used as education.
Now maybe you could discuss with him a thread,that you feel is factual, you have found interesting and mind opening.
But no i wouldn't recommend it. Until he can question everything he reads and verify himself before passing that information on, then he would be ready to help deny ignorance

edit on 11-4-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I think their minds are too young for Some of the materials, and it may only induce fear more then intelligence..
edit on 4/11/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
If they seek it they will find it of their own accord, in their own time, when they are ready.

Half my son's school are already buzzing with NWO conspiracy / illuminati and Nibiru / 2012 doom. They are already frightening themselves witless thanks to Youtube tripe.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
First thing I would do is talk to his parents and see if it's ok with them.

If they're ok with it, make sure he knows the people on here are not experts. Take this information with a grain of salt.

Also make sure he is aware of the terms for what is acceptable as far as as posts.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
i would say no

unless you are willing to help them figure out how to wade through all the nonsense and actually find something educational.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I don't really see a problem with introducing a 14 year old to a site like ATS. If I remember right, I was around that age when I first found this place and I like to think I'm doing ok, lol. I'm still a teenager now in fact, although I'm a little bit older (19). The good thing about a site like ATS though is, for the most part, it's a mature environment and is striving to stay that way. That is a good thing to experience, especially when on the internet where being mature isn't exactly encouraged a great deal. In regards to the Intellect here, well, let's just say this place sure as hell taught me a great deal over the years and it's done the same for others too, a good thing of course.

So, If you want to introduce him to ATS, go ahead. But don't force anything on him. If he's going to learn, then let him learn stuff on his own, let him come to his own conclusions etc, even if you disagree with them. If he doesn't follow the rules and get's himself banned for whatever reason, then that's through his own actions for which he'll hopefully learn from - Because I like to think that's what this place really is, a place for learning whether it be knowledge on a variety of topics or just learning how to act properly. A bit of guidance however isn't ever a bad thing.

If ever anyone is going to be introduced to the world of conspiracies and the like, I'd say ATS was one of the best places out there right now. But, of course, that's just my opinion, take it or leave it. If you know he likes these topics though then introducing him to this place perhaps isn't a bad idea at all, but a bit of an introduction from you might also be beneficial to him.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I suspect the best answer is the least useful:

"Is it good to recommend teenagers ATS for education ?"

That depends on the teenager.

It's sort of along the same lines as the observation that some folks come to ATS... and find they are not welcome because of their infantile or obtuse behavior....

I remember considering myself quite mature as a teenager (of course, in retrospect, I consider I was naive and angry young man, as opposed to being a mature adult - which I am still working on.)

Then there is something to be said for being 'present' to help the assimilation of the information and the navigation of personalities here... teens often find their way here on their own.... many stay... some go back to tweeting.

Like I said, "It depends on the teenager." They are all individuals, just like us.

edit on 11-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Pros and cons. The teenager should be secure in themselves, mature, and responsible. You as the Introducer should take time to discuss the topics with your family members before hand, and weigh the decision wisely. Also a guiding voice of reason, would be required. There is enough for information overload here, and unfortunate exposure to "stinkin thinkin"

Wisely handle this.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
if they are mature and perhaps on the debate team or something similar, sending them here to have their beliefs challenged and sometimes attacked, often in pointless and petty ways, could build character that will serve them well later in life.

a high school student could definitely get a hands on education about what the use of logical fallacies in argument...which abound in this place...look like and how they are used.

i suppose in this situation it wouldn't be much different than a young athlete hanging out with professional athletes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join