It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Technological Universe.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Is technology natural? If you don't think so, why isn't it? Was it not made by natural processes? Is there really a such thing as "unnatural"?

Cars, Clothes, Ipods, Computers, Video Games, Television, CD Players- they are all what makes us us. As we have grown, so has our technology. Imagine how animals might see us. They probably think we are technological ourselves. Surely they think we're Gods. Perhaps they think we're demons.

Some people think technology is evil, and I can see why. But technology is here and we brought it here and we were brought here by the universe or God or whatever you want to call the process involved in bringing us about. In other words, in this universe, technology happens, and it is meant to happen. So what's the problem?

The Universe is technological. If it wasn't there wouldn't be technology. That's a rather obvious observation- since technology exists within the universe as part of what the universe does- it is reasonable to say that technology is part of what the universe is. Therefore, there is nothing unnatural, and nothing unacceptable. It's scary being a human. Oh well, I am one, so I might as well be as human as humanly possible.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I have to agree with you if and only if you think humans are the universe. That we are apart of this thing that birthed us. Which, in a way, we are, but in another way we aren't as we are free thinking (maybe), conscious beings. We can act as we choose. The way you say this makes it sound as though everything is predetermined. That, I have an issue with. Possibilities for the future are limited every second that passes, but I don't think anything is set in stone. What we create is not natural, as we are combining things that weren't combined before, but what it is made of is natural. So, is the universe technological? Um, in the sense of what its made of, no. What exists within it, yes. Just because we have pets doesn't make us the same thing as our pets' toys, does it? Or babies, and their toys.

Whether or not the universe actually exists, though, is another story, and in that way it could be technological. But by saying that the things we create are natural, I disagree. They wouldn't be here without us, therefore they aren't natural.

Interesting topic, though.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chraeloos
reply to post by smithjustinb

I have to agree with you if and only if you think humans are the universe. That we are apart of this thing that birthed us. Which, in a way, we are, but in another way we aren't as we are free thinking (maybe), conscious beings.

No, we are definitely a part of that which made us and we are also making ourselves. But also, we are that which made us and not ourselves. My view of the universe is that it is what we are and everyone of us is that only, but we are made to believe that we are individuals and that we are separate from it, but this is just an illusion of awareness. There is an afterlife because you go to a place where you are what you've always been(the universe) and you are no longer what you erroneously believed you were (an individual). Although during our incarnations, we play the human game and be the human, it is really the universe that is playing and being us. And it did so in a technological direction.

We can act as we choose. The way you say this makes it sound as though everything is predetermined.

To an extent. We are humans with human free will, but we are also the universe with universal free will. But as long as we are individualized, we will not get to taste the universe's freedom except by tasting it in human form. Freedom is paramount, but the more individual you become, the less freedom you have. The universe is a flying bird and a prowling tiger and an intellectual human, but you are just the human and you can only do what humans can do. Therefore, you aren't as free as a human as you think you are. But you're not really a human. You're the universe that makes itself believe it is a bunch of individuals. Only the universe has true free will. We only have human free will. Freedom is the will.

Since technology is within the universe and was made by the universe and is therefore a part of the universe, then the universe is part technological. With universal free will, life forms are made, with human free will, machines are made. But the machines are also just an extension of the primary, universal free will.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Technology is a contingent, albeit useful, part of existence. Human beings have falsely used it as a barometer to measure our progress as a species, i.e. Modern man has more technology than our ancestors therefore we are more "advanced".

But just because we have more toys than our predecessors, does not mean we have attained a new level of existence. Technological advances are just newer toys that make life a bit easier, but do not confront any real philosophical or existential issues.

Technology is neither good nor bad, and should not be used to gauge our progress as a species. It is a tool and too many people believe that it is some sort of end rather than a tool to achieve an end.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mirrormaker326
But just because we have more toys than our predecessors, does not mean we have attained a new level of existence. Technological advances are just newer toys that make life a bit easier, but do not confront any real philosophical or existential issues.

It means we have more knowledge. Since they make life easier, doesn't that mean they are confronting existential issues- helping us with survival?

top topics

join