It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously guys.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The rush to be the first post here on this forum is getting a lil bit ridiculous...I know this is kind of off topic but there is about 6 threads about the earthquake, because people wanted to be first and get all the star and flags.

What's worse, is people rush to be the first, and do not always have accurate news. This is the twitterization of our society and it's dangerous...

I know people do not have bad intent, but look at how many times the richter scale number has changed since the original reports and i sense somewhat, some people actually like this stuff but preface, or end their posts with hoping everyone is ok I feel like if theres not mass loss of life and damage, people blow these things off
edit on 11-4-2012 by CoolStoryMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

This is the twitterization of our society and it's dangerous...

Who will save us?

edit on 11-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Too true.

OH MY GOD AN EARTHQUAKE!!!! MUST REPORT IT LIKE NO ONE ELSE ALREADY KNOWS!!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

That's one of the things edits are for. Hopefully the first person who opens a thread has the knowledge to edit the initial post as they get more data and can report more fully on the subject. To just open a thread to say "JFK shot, oh Jesus, what now, what now!!!" and not edit it to bring more facts to the subject ("JFK shot by thousands of conspirators, cover up successful, JFK shooter convention held once a year") harms the subject rather than help it. And if the first 10 posts are of the same caliber, people may quit reading or posting on that thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolStoryMan
The rush to be the first post here on this forum is getting a lil bit ridiculous...I know this is kind of off topic but there is about 6 threads about the earthquake, because people wanted to be first and get all the star and flags.

What's worse, is people rush to be the first, and do not always have accurate news. This is the twitterization of our society and it's dangerous...

I know people do not have bad intent, but look at how many times the richter scale number has changed since the original reports and i sense somewhat, some people actually like this stuff but preface, or end their posts with hoping everyone is ok I feel like if theres not mass loss of life and damage, people blow these things off
edit on 11-4-2012 by CoolStoryMan because: (no reason given)

I prefer this bunch of people, rather than the people who dive in head first for the first comment, more than likley a whitty, sarcastic comment that was derived from one sentance of the whole 1,000 worded thread.

Theres nothing wrong with trying to get the news out asap, we have mods to manage the duplicate threads. Its the user base that brings nothign to the table but yet gets stars for been sarcastic and adding nothign to the topic in subject that pisses me off. It just shows that a big percentage of our members are here not for the knowledge, but for the giggles and to try get stars and flags, like its an achievment or something.

I believe stars are given, in most cases, wrongly - but thats a whole different thread.

Flag for you to keep the subject at the top

Peace

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm counting 8 threads just about the quake. A little rediculous if you ask me. At least it was a stike-slip quake so the chances of a large tsunami occurring are much lower than if it were trust quake. But yeah, I agree too many people racing for stars and flags.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

True, people are rushing, to bring the kind of news we will get in the MSM anyway very shortly afterward. I like ATS for being the first source of important news usually, but 3 hours after a 8.9 EQ, most people with a little to some curiosity to the world stage have probably heard about it.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This is rant forum stuff.

More members means more people post the same thing.

Mods have been on it.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
yes its the negative side
but the positive side is that we receive the news much faster then any other websites

ATS

Best news site in the world

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shuye

True, people are rushing, to bring the kind of news we will get in the MSM anyway very shortly afterward. I like ATS for being the first source of important news usually, but 3 hours after a 8.9 EQ, most people with a little to some curiosity to the world stage have probably heard about it.

This stuff hit's the news sites long before it comes anywhere near ATS.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I sometimes accidently repost but it's usually an obscure topic or news story.

ATS is a really cool site but the search function sucks. I almost always search before starting a thread and half the time I can't find the topic.

I agree with you about major events. I bet there are only a few computer / cell phone users who are not aware of the earthquake.

But.

Did.

You.

Know that it was caused by Nibiru?!?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
there was 1 thread which reported the quake having in its post a link for a youtube video

now thats epic

how could something like this not been already discussed here before a video is uploaded on YT which takes a good couple of mins

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
While people rushing threads to get the news out can lead to early misreporting, I think it's more valuable to get information out quickly, even if it's to be updated later. If you're just making a thread to get stars or flags, and don't at least try to be informative in the OP, it just makes for a weak thread. As for duplicate threads, the mods generally do a good job, especially when the threads are covering a major story.

Always doing a search before you create a thread and creating thread titles that show up easily in a search eliminates most of the problems. That's one of the biggest problems I see with threads. People like to make catching titles like "Oh my God, Huge Earthquake", but that doesn't give very good information when someone tries to search for something, and is one of the root causes for duplicate threads.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I tend to agree with the OP but what I don't understand is the amount of threads that don't seem to fit with ATS.

As far as I was aware Above Top Secret is a conspiracy forum not a news outlet, half the threads here seem to be just news that I can get from..... well the news channels. If there was a conspiracy angle to the thread and OP then fair enough, but there rarely ever is.

I also don't understand why so many people rate a thread that is just a copy of the news, stars should be given for original thought and new ideas in my opinion, something that a poster has put some work into.

Of course this is just my opinion and if the staff of ATS like it this way then who am I to complain, I still come here so it can't be too bothersome. It just means you have to sift through the chaff to find the wheat.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Someone rushing here in desperation to get a load of stars and flags reporting on an event similar to the boxing day tsunami that killed nearly a quarter of a million people...? If anyone seriously thinks like that, they need to sit back and assess what they are doing with their life.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I've personally always wondered if some people do just post things for Stars and Flags... I used to try and reason, that people do not, but lately, I've been having my doubts.

Almost daily, I go through my most frequently visited links, such as BBC, Foxnews, SpaceWeather, Space, Nasa, ScienceDaily and others, just to find myself here(usually late at night) and to see a majority of the articles that I read being plastered all over ATS. Sometimes, when I'm reading these articles, I think to myself.. "I wonder if this is ATS worthy, or if it has any conspiratorial aspect to it"? The answer is almost always NO, then I come to ATS and find a majority of them on here...

It's getting kinda lame... not gonna lie.

new topics

top topics

join