It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 (updated 8.7) QUAKE off the coast of Sumatra! Oh my......

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by nitro67

I'm not a seismologist...but my understanding is that the after-shocks we are seeing are very normal. Especially considering there were TWO 8+ mag quakes there. The aftershocks are still plenty up in Japan more than a year later. We should expect to see large mag aftershocks for several weeks....and smaller ones for up to a year or two!!

As to what is happening on the sea-floor. Well, that is a really good question. One that I think just about everyone is asking right now since up until yesterday no one believed a strike-slip fault could even produce a quake of that size, let alone two of them. I don't think anyone understands the mechanism at work there right now and THAT makes me nervous.

These quakes are man made.

##snip##
edit on Thu Apr 12 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because:

15d.) Cross-Posting: You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards (unless you receive advance written permission from TAN or their agents). You will not post-by-proxy the material of banned members or other individuals who are not members, but have written a response to content within a thread on these forums.
Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review
edit on Thu Apr 12 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Man made....lolo hahahahahah. They were also man made thousands of years ago when man used sticks to kill dinosaurs. How can these idiotic statements stop ...jesus.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by simon2k7
Man made....lolo hahahahahah. They were also man made thousands of years ago when man used sticks to kill dinosaurs. How can these idiotic statements stop ...jesus.

The only idiocy involved, is treating other peoples ideas this way.

It has been a well known fact, since the discovery of the nuclear bomb, that such devices can have a seismic phenomena as a bi-product. Since this, it has been theorized, and some say it's already in the, as people knew it was not the "bang" but the resonance in the earth that made the side effect. So has spun, many theories about such device, already being in the makings ... with HAARP and Tesla's inventions, fueling this.

It is a very well known fact, that many cracks in the earth are held together, by resistance. It is also a very well known fact, that a resonance, can break this resistance.

Wether that is that case here, however, is another story ... we are living on a plasma ball, with enormous destructive power. It doesn't need our hand, to cause any damage.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
As a noob, I can't start a new thread but looks like California is starting to rock. A 6.9 in the Gulf of California this morning with a few aftershocks.

USGS

I also read that some Geologists think that one of the sides of the fault in the Sumatran fault lurched 70 feet past the other in the quake.

Real Science Article

I suspect that we're going to see a lot of quake activity over the next little while......

I am editing this so as to quantify the above statement...

IF the Geologists are correct in that there was ground movement of 70 feet, then I would expect that a shift of this magnitude would affect fault line pressure along the borders of surrounding faults. I am not saying there are going to be large magnitude quakes, just some adjusting.....

edit on 12-4-2012 by meemaw because: want to quantify a statement about quake activity...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
More stronger EQ's coming in next days ..

Possible locations are the same ..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 12-4-2012 by lover088 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjarneorn

Originally posted by simon2k7

The only idiocy involved, is treating other peoples ideas this way.

It has been a well known fact, since the discovery of the nuclear bomb, that such devices can have a seismic phenomena as a bi-product. Since this, it has been theorized, and some say it's already in the, as people knew it was not the "bang" but the resonance in the earth that made the side effect. So has spun, many theories about such device, already being in the makings ... with HAARP and Tesla's inventions, fueling this.

It is a very well known fact, that many cracks in the earth are held together, by resistance. It is also a very well known fact, that a resonance, can break this resistance.

Wether that is that case here, however, is another story ... we are living on a plasma ball, with enormous destructive power. It doesn't need our hand, to cause any damage.

With what intent?...why create an earthquake of this magnitude in a country with almost no importance to any super power?....some fools here in Chile rencently have started associating quakes to HAARP...pure ignorance IMO..when this is the cause of most earthquakes in the world.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well these earthquakes going on makes you wonder when California will get the big one.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

5 significant quakes in one month for California. Wonder when Illinois will get hit. I hope not soon.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
hope everyone is safe

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by meemaw

Thank you posting this link, meemaw.
21 meters of slip is impressive.

Here is a link to the USGS poster for the M8.6 Northern Sumatra quake, 11 April 2012.

Heads up, this link is to a 14.8mb PDF. If you have a slow connection, I would not click it.
edit on 4/12/2012 by Olivine because: formatting

I forgot to mention. The scientists think it is possible that one of the quakes may have been left-lateral, striking NNE, while the other could have been right-lateral, striking WNW. Or both the M 8.6 & M8.2 ruptured in the same direction. There is just no definitive answer as of yet.
edit on 4/12/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Thanks for the info! Very interesting stuff...

As to the ideas of these being man made... uhum, I don't even bother clicking on any links to GLP. I find it a waste of brain cells.

Why do we always have to find a way for men to be more powerful than nature? We aren't, ya know.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Everyone talks about how earthquakes are a part of NWO or 2012 conspiracys. Also that they are happening more frequently than ever. Then why the low numbers?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Tiny stats IMO.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I hope ATS users in Sumatra is okay, and everyone. It was so scary
almost 9, it's terrible.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Here is a good article that describes what occured, and what this might possibly mean for the area. According to the article, there were some deaths.

Indonesia quake a record, risks for Aceh grow

(Reuters) - The powerful undersea earthquake off the Indonesian island of Sumatra this week was a once in 2,000 years event, and although it resulted in only a few deaths, it increases the risks of a killer quake in the region, a leading seismologist said.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I just want to clarify my earlier post about manmade quakes. I was referring to mega quakes. I am a firm believer in the deep injection wells used in fracking causing smaller, local quakes. USGS has pretty much confirmed this.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
this is amazing news

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
this is amazing news

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Someone is going to be getting a tsunami in a few days. Right about now would be a good time to start leaving the coast of wherever that thing is aimed at.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join