It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 (updated 8.7) QUAKE off the coast of Sumatra! Oh my......

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

do we know those exist ?

They have in the past. Cascadia around 50 metres for starters.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
2nd Indonesia quake at depth of 16km - USGS

link   
M 8.2, off the west coast of northern Sumatra
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:43:09 UTC
M 8.6, off the west coast of northern Sumatra
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 08:38:37 UTC

link   
If the aftershock was so powerful is there chance of aftershock aftershock?

link   
reply to post by Ben81

The 2004 tsunami was in places 9 metres, averaging 5 metres most others. Probs gna want evidence so google it

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I THINK (but I may well be wrong) that someone missed off the .(point) before the six earlier and now people think there is a six meter wave - it started with a typo!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I bet this is the main news story on news channels all over the world, except for the U.S., Treyvon/Zimmermen, the GOP race and just other pre scripted crap for us!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Tsunami wave measured at 1.06 meters off Meulaboh in Indonesia following quake -Monitoring Agency

link   

Originally posted by shadowland8
Is there an official source for this 30 foot tsunami?

There is NO 30 foot or 30 meter wave!!! This has been blown way out of proportion.
Here is the correct info for what that has been observed.

Tsunami wave has been observed on 11.04.2012 at 09:56 UTC in DART 23401, in the Indian Ocean. The tsunami wave's height was 0.03 meters (0.1 feet)

RSOE link

link   
hmm it seems this time of year, for the past 2 years we have had some serious seismic activity in the far east

8.6... They always water that down....

pretty crazy...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Also there is talk of a 3rd majors aftershock- Thats wrong so if you see another reported in the next few mins thats a mistake via news wires

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

9.9 QUAKE HITS SOMEWHERE 'shock shock death waves covering the globe' wait never mind it was only 8.0 move along. lol internets

DUDE, WTF!!??

You think this is not serious??

GTFO

vvv

No mate this is not serious. My post was full of sarcasm and taking the piss out all you quake chasers.

There are millions of people CURRENTLY like ACTUALLY dieing from disease, war, malnutrition, and dehydration.

The only reason these sorts of threads take off the ground so quick is because it's EXCITING big waves are EXCITING. QUAKES are EXCITING if anyone gave a # about people actually dieing you would be focusing your attention on current suffering not on fancy big waves lol.

Sorry but it's true, wake up to yourselves.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Thank you, it seemed a little far fetched but I couldn't find anything conclusive. Carry on!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
On the night of July 9, 1958 an earthquake along the Fairweather Fault in the Alaska Panhandle loosened about 40 million cubic yards (30.6 million cubic meters) of rock high above the northeastern shore of Lituya Bay. This mass of rock plunged from an altitude of approximately 3000 feet (914 meters) down into the waters of Gilbert Inlet (see map below). The impact generated a local tsunami that crashed against the southwest shoreline of Gilbert Inlet. The wave hit with such power that it swept completely over the spur of land that separates Gilbert Inlet from the main body of Lituya Bay. The wave then contiuned down the entire length of Lituya Bay, over La Chaussee Spit and into the Gulf of Alaska. The force of the wave removed all trees and vegetation from elevations as high as 1720 feet (524 meters) above sea level. Millions of trees were uprooted and swept away by the wave. This is the highest wave that has ever been known.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

Yeah...it became a quick typo of something Asala posted several pages back. Where someone repeated her post, but left off the decimal point!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Th0r

9.9 QUAKE HITS SOMEWHERE
'shock shock death waves covering the globe'

wait never mind it was only 8.0 move along. lol internets

First no one said it was 9.9. Second it was not an 8.0 and third you seem to be in some serious need of attention for the motto of this site.

Perhaps if you read this thread and take in what is said you will understand that whilst it appears so far that there have been few injuries and little damage that might not have been the case and this is NOT a matter for levity or jocular remarks.

Go forth and read and deny your obvious ignorance.

link   
there is no 30 ft tidal wave...

the scientist on the news said its not that kinda earthquake, its a horizontal movement not a veritical one..

here we go, no one get ats'd now....

link   

Originally posted by asala
reply to post by DarwinStubby

Uh oh if so then i pray for all those there

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

THANKS for that reminder.

I have SEEN even brief prayers change tornado outcomes and other dramatic weather outcomes.

And distance doesn't matter.

This quake set could use some prayer for those poor folks, imho.

link   
reply to post by webpirate

Ah that could be my new nails! There long and hard to type with, Trust it to be when theres a big story
edit on 11-4-2012 by asala because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
I bet this is the main news story on news channels all over the world, except for the U.S., Treyvon/Zimmermen, the GOP race and just other pre scripted crap for us!!!

Yeah what's that all about? Watch, next they'll probably start talking about what color tie Romney should wear for his next debate... unbelievable

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join