It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just been diagnosed with asthma

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnprince
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Thank you .
Curious how you and another poster have both stated that smoking has helped them . Maybe this needs some serious research ?

Its anecdotal and subjective. I wouldn't call two isolated posts statistically significant in any context, especially when it comes to smoking. One of the posters is correct in saying its dose-dependent. That kind of practice comes with a thorough understanding of the human body, its condition and responses. Its not curious if you know human anatomy & physiology. Nicotinic and muscranic receptors have a lot to do with muscular contraction and that explains the effects witnessed in asthma. I feel confident stating the risk vs benefits with smoking does not justify it, can be easily achieved with different treatment modalities; especially with a disease like asthma. One of the most important things you can do if you suffer from asthma or allergies is to recognize and avoid triggering events.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
All most prescription do is treat the symptoms by poisoning your body and not curing the root cause. But if you are happy I say go with it. Could also be herbicide or pesticide exposure..... But I don't have a fancy diploma hanging on my wall only extensive research and knowledge.....

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnprince

Hi Dawnprince. I was diagnosed with asthma in my 40's as well. I never had a problem with allergies or breathing difficulties my entire life, and was never really a smoker although I would occasionally social smoke when out drinking but I that was more of a phase than anything. My doctor said that asthma has been on a significant rise for people who are in their late 30's to 40's, especially for women, and the exact reason behind this rise in asthma is not completely understood yet. I am not sure if it has to do with lung tissue being unable to regenerate after the 40's, this may be one reason. I did go and get myself allergy tested, and found out I am only allergic to two things near and dear to me, dogs and cats, which I have always been surrounded by all my life and never had allergy symptoms surface, ever, up until I made it to my 40's. Go figure. It may be because there are more animals in my life now since I rescue. Also to consider is the detrimental effects of stress on our bodies, and the corresponding lowered immune response from this. I don't know if any of this will relate to you, but chronic stress has been with me for the last 15 years so it fits my asthma puzzle as well (stress = lowered immune response = allergic response = asthma symtpoms). Another thing....when I went cold turkey and quite caffeine, this was the point where my asthma surfaced. Caffeine vasodilates and when I detoxed from it I couldn't breathe, my lung capacity was down in the 60's, so caffeine had really masked my asthma symtpoms and allowed me to breathe better. Since then I have license to drink lots of coffee

Also, there are many environmental triggers that can cause bronchospasms....dust, dander, household cleaners, candles, deodorizing household sprays, smog, smoke from grills, automobile exhaust, even a change in cleaning solvents in office buildings where one works can trigger asthma.

I hope you start feeling better and stay with your medications. Living a normal life with asthma can sometimes be a challenge but the maintenance medications are key to staying symptom free.
edit on 11-4-2012 by justsaying because: to add additional info to post

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

watercure.com and watercure2.com claim that asthma is a symptom of dehydration. Watercure2.com used to have a standing offer of $50,000 if they couldn't cure a case of childhood asthma in Pennsylvania (I haven't checked in a couple of years if that offer still stands).

I wrote my first thread here on the subject and was shot down like a rabid dog. Once I went to a PTA meeting where a doctor was talking about asthma and the medical cures, and when I brought this subject up I was hooted down, and the doctor totally ignored it. Judging by his reaction, it probably works. Good luck with your progress.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
As for mucus, I used to have lots of mucus. It was my friend. Then a long time ago I stopped eating meat and animal "products (milk, cheese, butter, except in pancakes!)" and never had mucus problems again. That stuff is murder (literally and otherwise).

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

It's no big deal however you will have to rid yourself of woollen bedding, invest in a decent anti-dust mite vacum cleaner and watch for Spring's pollen. You may be allergic to cat or dog fluff also.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Here is my remarkable astma recovery story. I’ll try & keep it short

I'm a South African guy thats been living in China on and off for the past 6 years.

I've had asthma since early childhood (2 years old). About a year ago I had less than 55% lung capacity.
My asthma was quite severe to say the least - using pretty strong inhalers 6-10 times/day.

Last year In July, I heard about this treatment - this is in China
So I went to the Chinese Medicine hospital for lung disease in Chengdu (in the west of china) and got treatment.
(as the name suggest - they specialize in treating lung disease with TCM)

All I can say is WOW!!! 100% recovery!! I couldn't believe it, but here was the proof - no breathing problems and no need for an inhaler whatsoever. In addition, my immune system is much stronger than before. Prior to treatment I was very susceptible to getting colds and flu, but ever since the start of the treatment I've had a 'perfect medical record', so to speak.

The treatment lasts for 3 months, cost about $1200 (US) in total and consists of 3 different parts:
1) Daily TCM herbs oral intake in tablet form . Name: chuansouningpian (喘嗽宁片)and xiaochuanningpian (哮喘宁片)
2) Weekly injections on acupuncture points (for those who are familiar with acupuncture - stomach36 and large intestine11). 6-8 injections each time. Substance that is injected is called thymopentin (an immunostimulator)
3) Once a month - They insert some medicine under your skin on your chest. The medicine is called 磁化旦白酯. There is no way for me to translate that, but google translate it to “The magnetization Once white ester” - whatever that is suppose to mean._javascript:icon('
')

My treatment finished at the end of October 2011, and no words can describe the impact this has had on my life.

It’s a pretty big commitment (and I suppose a giant leap of faith needed), but if anyone else out there is struggling with bad Asthma, I assure you, It’ll be worth the trip.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I worked with a woman who had bad asthma and the doctor put her on a special diet eliminating sugars from her diet. She greatly improved after she changed her diet. You may want to research this area a bit.

The Connection Between Sugar and Asthma
www.discoveryhealthjournal.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
First you may take my advice with a grain of salt ... this is just my personal account ...

I have had asthma since I was 10 years old ... currently 38 ...

It was at its worst in my late 20s ... I had attacks DAILY. Lungs scarred. The works ...

... then I stopped drinking milk and drinking sodas.

Since then an asthma attack is rare. I have literally gone years without a single attack.

I have NEVER taken preventative medication ...

I do have an inhaler on hand in case of an attack but as I said they are very rare ... like maybe 2 a year at most.

If I were you I would strongly consider what things I may be allergic to (food, drinks, smoke, etc) and avoid them ...

If it were me I wouldn't take a preventative (which is a steroid) but rather try and control it through my exposure to my environment.

And lastly I would keep a good inhaler around that stops attacks once they have begun. Asthma is dangerous - nothing to play around with.

I have had massive attacks that come on very quickly that make breathing nearly impossible ...

Thank god I have learned what some of the major contributors were and managed to nearly eradicate my asthma ...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I've spent over 500 dollars in the last month trying to get over this stuff. How are your sinuses? I've been through two rounds of antibotics now it seems to be out of my lungs but my sinuses are still not right.

The second time I went back they gave me steriods like they have you. It knocks it out so you can breathe again. I asked the doctor what was this stuff. She said they really don't know but they are having a heck of a time getting rid of it in people. She said it started last fall and it's contagious when you first have the fever. After that you are not contagious. They are treating it like acute bronchitis.

That 500 doesn't count what my insurance has paid either. Good luck to you my friend.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Whatever you do don't walk around in cold winds
That's how I found out I had asthma

I have to agree with the posters above about sugar/milk making it a lot worse. I stopped eating both for a whole year, had no problems at all even still smoking cigarettes. Now that I am eating them again I'm starting to have problems. Cigarettes never made it better either, just made it get tighter in my lungs.

I have switched to ecigs and can see someone easily overdosing using these because you control the dosage. The taste after smoking 1 ecig vs 1 cig makes you want to continue smoking the ecig.

The best part about having asthma is you now have an excuse to run the shower hot enough to steam up the bathroom

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Developing Asthma later in life is a mystery.
Sometimes caused by lung damage, could be the enviroment.
Could also be a food alergy.

To the guy who said nicotine does the same thing ventolin does.
You are wrong.
Nicotine shrinks your blood vessels allowing less oxygen in.
YOU might be fooling yourself into thinking it helps, but it doesn't.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Hey Dawnprince,
In my medical experience, I've seen a majority of patients with asthma that is linked to food allergies. Corn being the biggest trigger to asthma. I would recommend elimiating corn from your diet as much as you can. That includes corn syrup, corn flour, baking powder derived from corn, corn starch, dextrin, dextrose, glucose/fructose (thats derived from corn) etc. etc. Most people that I've suggested this to have seen a complete recovery.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Any vaccines lately??

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
You know, I had Asthma as a child but after one major attack it went away completely.

I think it had to do with my father smoking in the house when I was younger; plus all of the toxic chemicals they put into cigarettes nowadays PROBABLY does has something to do with it, but who knows.

I smoke now as an adult-but I did NOT have issues with smoking until 2010.
What was strange was....none of the vibrations in my Jaw, pains in my teeth, Whooping Cough, Eye Twitches, and sharp pains in my chest did not start until CONGRESS passed the FSC (fire safe cigarette)into law in! You may want to look into the health issues people claim to be having since the 2010 law was passed-it may be linked to the FSC's-I believe on IS Asthma.

The FSC's were messing up my sinuses so bad that when I say the X-ray.....my sinus cavity swole up and was bumping against my MOLAR!!!! I STILL smoke but since that incident I ROLL MY OWN CIGARETTES. Aromtherapy helped me too with the whooping cough.

And you know what else? All those 2010 heath issues described are GONE.

Guess I could be like my others catching Asthma, Seizures, ect from these FSC;s......Good Luck Brother.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have had asthma as long as I can remember. Alot of great advice here. A few things to consider.

Air Quality is very important. You cant always control it, but you can control it in your bedroom. Considering you spend a 1/3 of your time there, it helps.

Buy a HEPA filter, and a box fan at the hardware store. Close all windows except one. Seal off that window with the filter. i use plastic and duct tape. The fan covers it anyway. Seal off other windows, and keep bedroom door shut. You want to create positive air pressure, so the only air in that room came through the filter.

Inhalers work well. I keep a few around just in case it gets bad. But there is a better alternative. Ephedrine. I buy it at truck stops. The white crosses are the best. Buy a pill cutter, as you only need a 1/4 of a pill. Its synthetic adrenaline, which if you ever go to the ER during an attack, is what you get an injection of. Dont take it often, just when needed.

Hot Shower When Im tight, I let the shower run on hot only. Really steam up the bathroom. I get right in the shower, obviously on the other end away from the hot water. I seal the shower off from the rest of the room and breathe the steam in for 15 or so. Then I add cold water until I can stand under the shower. But make it as hot as you can stand. i let the hot water run on my chest, while softly beating on my chest with my fists. Let out a roar, lol.

Masks Buy some masks. N100 are the best. Anytime your going to be around any particulate at all, wear one. Will save you much discomfort.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I had asthma when I was a kid. One of my scariest moments was when I had an asthma attack. Every breath I took got shorter and shorter until I couldn't breath, then somehow it just went away.

I haven't had asthma problems for many years now, so I don't know what changed to make it go away.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I saw your thread and decided to come in and post ..I have cystic fibrosis and asthma its like a double whammy of both of them ..The med your Dr put you on inhaler + Ventolin is a good one ive also used it for years and its not unusual to get asthma in your 40s ..I have nothing against smoking but please don't even try doing it all its going to do is damage your lungs even more and cause fits of coughing ..I live everyday feeling like im breathing out of a clogged straw ..Also if the treatments your Dr is giving you seem to be failing please check into this article its something there finding more and more of in adults that thought all they had was asthma... peace,sugarcookie1

www.msnbc.msn.com...
" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">link

A short video on what cystic fibrosis is:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

look up buyteko method in google

and mega dose vitamin D on on vitamin d council website...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Hey OP I have the same problem I am a 26 year old male I train daily as I do mma. Also never smoked. And for the past 4 months I have been coughing up mucous like crazy, waking up in the night with it blocking my airway. It got so bad one night I went to the hospital because I was sure it was going to kill me in my sleep. Now I have broken my wrist,jaw and had numerous problems and never when to the hospital so you can tell this was a big deal. I have had flew and other similar things in the past but nothing like this, and nothing as persistent.

The hospital looked in my ears and in my mouth and said it the season for coughs your a young fit guy and mucous is a normal process of the body so just drink more water and rest. A month later and no change for me, my sister has had it also, we live in the same town, she has had it for about six months the docs gave her antibiotics but also nothing changed.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join