It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oldest mammoth baby goes on tour (photos)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
This baby mammoth, which has been preserved for over 40 000 years, will embark on a tour across Asia.

The perfectly preserved baby mammoth is called Lyuba, and was discovered by a reindeer herder in 2007.

Apparently the mammoth died at the age of one month, in a mudslide, and was trapped there for all this time, until the discovery. The internal organs are still intact, and provided alot of info for scientists. There was even some milk from her mother still in her tummy!

I think it would be great to actually see this baby mammoth in person.

And, who knows, maybe one day there will be mammoths roaming the earth again.

Ps, There was a thread about the discovery of the mammoth, here. So not a duplicate thread, just wanted to share that its going on tour now!

Article

vvv
edit on 11-4-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
dead, ancient, but still cute!

hope to see a living cloned baby mammoth in this lifetime!

www.popsci.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Ooh he's just adorable ! Poor little thing !
But for scientist, it should be a mountain of informations, indeed.

Thank you for the share : )

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
pleasure, and ur post prompted me to search if ATS has been discussing mammoth cloning,

and sure enuf they did so i bumped that thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

it's as doable as Dolly, assuming the nk/ru scientists aren't exaggerating/fibbing that they have sufficient viable mammoth marrow to extract nuclei!

i can imagine some Western biotech geneticists would do almost ANYTHING to get their hands on viable mammoth nuclei!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
If a mudslide can preserve that mammoth so well....who's to say there aren't dinosaurs similarly preserved, waiting to be discovered?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolStoryMan
If a mudslide can preserve that mammoth so well....who's to say there aren't dinosaurs similarly preserved, waiting to be discovered?

Oh yes, I am very sure, that is quite possible.

However, the conditions need to be correct for this. Preferably in very cold frozen places.

vvv

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I wonder if mammoths are tasty? I mean, why clone of you arent going to let us eat it? Dont tell me that Vasily Vasiliev and Hwang Woo-Suk havent thought " grilled, stew, or fried" whilst doing their research and signing the cloning contract.. a whole new export business on the side. We could feed the hungry and eliminate starvation.

Here's a recipe for ya VVV.. hope you have a LOT of friends and a LOT of kerosene.. and about a month.

Elephant Stew Recipe

2 rabbits (optional)
1 elephant, medium size
Salt & pepper to taste
Brown gravy

Cut elephant into small bite-sized pieces. This should take about two months. Add enough brown gravy to cover. Cook over kerosene fire for about four weeks at 465 degrees.

This will serve 3800 people. If more are expected, two rabbits may be added, but do this only if necessary as some people do not like to find a hare in their stew.

PS. Try not to have left-overs as this is best served fresh.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Sadly I doubt it, I'm not an expert, but I am pretty sure even in the best preservation the body will break down after such a long period. Dinos are millions of years, Mammoths only 10s of thousands.

Nice thought though, a real Jurassic park would be amazing.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
She packed her trunk and
Off she went with a trumpety-trump
Trump, trump, trump

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the share! So cute and an amazing discovery.

new topics

top topics

join