It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When are gases prices officially too high/when are gas prices too high for you to buy it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
So in case the title of the thread didn't make my question clear: When will gas prices be too high for you to want to pay them? What's the most you would pay for gasoline before you gave up and started riding a bike or something? Also, does anyone have a realistic timeline for the occurrence of inflation to the point that most people won't be able to afford gas? It'll be $5 soon. What about when it's $10? I remember when I was in high school most people claimed they'd stop buying gas soon after it reached $3 a gallon....I know most of those people probably buy gas all the time to this day.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
When will electricity be too much? When would you shut off your running water?

I, like most people, will continue to buy gasoline until it becomes too expensive to buy to get to work. I use about 2 gallons to get to work and 2 to get home. So for me 4 gallons would have to cost more than a days pay.
edit on 4/11/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
we are edging near 5 and it barely just turned SPRING a couple weeks ago.

whats in store for SUMMER?

$8/gal

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
If prices keep creeping up slowly then people will carry on paying.

what's another few cents (pence) here and there, until one day you look at your outgoings and find 50% of wages go on fuel for your car.

then TSHF

If gas (petrol / diesel) dramaticly went for 1990 prices to today's there would be mass riots and civil uprisings.

Just goes to show nobody notices gradual increases.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

When will electricity be too much? When would you shut off your running water?

I don't know if I'd ever stop running my water if I had a choice but I could find a way to generate enough electricity to power my home if I absolutely had to I'd make a modified version of a hand crank generator and I'd put bicycle petals on it.

I'm graduating from college soon and really stepping out into the real world for the first time so I don't really know my spending limit for gasoline yet as my bills have been paid primarily by my parents. This is obviously going to stop soon. Just trying to think ahead. If anyone has any more input I'd appreciate as much as I can get.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

That's because typically gas prices have been thought to go up with inflation. However, with peak oil being an unavoidable truth gas prices will eventually climb faster then the actual inflation rate and that's when I think TSHF.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Meh....its about 4.29 here atm...i could honestly say it may hit 6 bucks if things continue as they have been by july.

Since I can walk to work as can my wife (we live a mile away at most from both jobs) the only thing I would be worried about is the inflated price of food as the majority is shipped here by barge.

That would suck more i reckon...and since everyone needs food to live.....I dont imagine i'd be too dang happy about it.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by BooKrackers

all the more reason to start growing food at home if you can...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

I believe there will come a time very soon when people will go to work on Monday and sleep in their cars untill Friday, washing up in the employee bathroom. It may be a matter of survival for some. I personally dont own a car but I do contribute to the upkeep of one. This includes buying gas. Seniour citizens are screwed in most areas of survival these days, be it medical or buying food or gas etc. Im ready to play logans run.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
We just returned from Italy where gas is currently between $11-12 per gallon. I know the UK has been similarly priced (several times that of the USA) for at least a decade.

The metro in Italy looks like a sewer (I refused to go in, and I've used metro all over the world) - most people ride scooters. Since the US doesn't appear to be thinking about true public transport STILL, imagine if every car in traffic were replaced by a Vespa.... it would be awesome!

The US is funny. Europe has been dealing with far higher prices for a long time. It's probably why you just don't see Hummers and Expeditions in those countries... even the trucks are sometimes as small as a Prius!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrimReaper86
reply to post by BooKrackers

all the more reason to start growing food at home if you can...

Enough to sell to pay rent also? I don't know about you, but I'm pretty partial to my hot water, too.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

Vespa's will not work for the morbidly obese.
It would be a case of strapping the motorbike on as opposed to sitting on it.
mind you 20mpg out of a vespa would be interesting to see.
edit on 11/4/2012 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Never, everything you touch is effected by gas, that is why
this situation IMO can become a crime against humanity.
If this were oxygen (god forbid we ever have to share a space
ship with a company or business people) we would be killing
by now, there is a point where enough is enough, just like
the Boston Tea Party. I am at a point where I think America
should nationalize fuel production expand production and keep it
here. There are billions of ways to make money, organic ketchup
and maxipads that look like hand bags, I think there should be a
few things that should be taken out of the realm of profit.

Fuel and Health insurance, I don't care, you can start selling organs
to make up for the sadness conservatives will feel for having cheaper gas.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
God was good to me. I went looking for a job a couple of months ago and I found one about three quarters of a mile from my house. I can either walk or I can go there and back about 15 times on one gallon.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Interesting replies but I find it interesting that no one is actually trying to say a number or amount.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Since I have to go to work, I will have to pay for gas no matter what the price. This is how we are trapped! I may not be able to pay insurance, utilities, cable, cell phones, but I will have to buy gas and groceries no matter what.

We are screwed, because the oil companies realize this fact.

Since you are begging for a number, I currently pay $50 per week, but I make $900 per week, so I guess if prices get to about $20 per gallon it will no longer be worthwhile to drive to work.
edit on 13-4-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks for the number. $20 feel pretty far off right now. Let's hope it stays that way.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrimReaper86
Thanks for the number. $20 feel pretty far off right now. Let's hope it stays that way.

Riots would start way before the $20 mark. I cannot imagine seeing people pay $15 a gallon like it's nothing.

top topics

join