It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who remembers the game gauntlet the arcade game?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
hello fellow posters have you ever played gauntlet in the arcade?

was there any completion to it ?

if you played it wot was you favourite character ?

id like to hear you posters who remember the game?

this op needs feedback badly frr dada da dud da daa..

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

I actually still have a copy for an emulator of mine. I like the barbarian the most. Never beat it all the way.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
i lost a lot of quarters in that damn machine...If only your health didn't decay over time. I downloaded it from x-box live a few years ago, not quite the same. Still never finished it though. I assume there is an end.

remember playing super mario brothers in the arcade? I remember how groundbreaking that was ...lol

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by denver22

Okay... I was half a click from hopping off to do some neglected graphics homework when I caught this. You sure know how to strike a note of nostalgia.
For those who need a reminder...

Gauntlet

Oh.. and the Warrior. Of course!
I blame this game for my addiction to Diablo I and II and all similar games that followed.
Thanks for the reminder. Next thing someone will be asking about Dragonslayer or Tron players.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

I do not think the arcades could stay open long enough to complete it, and yes "wizard needs food badly lol"

and 24 hr opening times lol. damn grunts and decaying health.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

do you remember the arguments over potions.

lol being a four player game i saw plenty of them.

remember the the second one where you had reflective shots

you have invisability etc.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

classic game back in 1985 i think

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well, um, let me see.. That was about 25 - 30 years ago. It was a few thousand dollars over a couple of years. And, the units we had around here were tabletop units and all four players could be played at the same time. Those were the days. Work hard all week for friday to get here so you could cash your check and run down to the arcade to spend all weekend and the entire check playing that game. Not just me, my buddies too. That went on for a couple of years. Allot of money went into that machine. AND, .. I'll be damned if we never beat. I think the concensus became that it was really there to eat up all those quarters. No way it could ever be beat. No way. They did a good job on that one.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Petriclivicus
Well, um, let me see.. That was about 25 - 30 years ago. It was a few thousand dollars over a couple of years. And, the units we had around here were tabletop units and all four players could be played at the same time. Those were the days. Work hard all week for friday to get here so you could cash your check and run down to the arcade to spend all weekend and the entire check playing that game. Not just me, my buddies too. That went on for a couple of years. Allot of money went into that machine. AND, .. I'll be damned if we never beat. I think the concensus became that it was really there to eat up all those quarters. No way it could ever be beat. No way. They did a good job on that one.

exactly it could not be beat, furthest i got was level 397 and that took me all day and plenty of money.

not sure about the second gauntlet if it had an ending to it etc..

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

need food...
knew I was dying...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I dont ever recall playing the second one. I dont even remember what level we ever reached. What I do remember is being "IN" with the owner. We would literally spend all weekend there. It was a good time. Spent good quality time with friends, And, probably made the worst financial decisions of my life. Wish I had thought about that when I was 16. ut, I dont regret it, cause, .. it help me to learn hand eye cooridination.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

I actually own part two and Gauntlet: Legends and I still play Legends on DreamCast occasionally. I always alternated between the characters but, normally, I'd pick the warrior or wizard. I liked the elf's bow but I just don't like elves.

In fact, sometimes when I'm feeling frisky, I'll tell my wife "Red warrior needs love badly". She normally doesn't laugh...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Correct me if I mistaken but I think the main reason gauntlet was such a phenomenon is because it was the first game that 4 people could play at the same time. No split screens, no LANs, there wasnt anything like it currently in the arcade at the time.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Gauntlet II appeared a year after the original, and made some refinements to the basic formula as well as adding new features. Players were no longer tied to character choice by joystick position; you could mix and match as you liked, even trying a party of four wizards, if you liked. Dozens of new levels were available, and new enemies appeared, such as a dragon that took up more than one square on the screen. Newpower ups and traps like the ricochet shot (an elf's best friend) and acidic puddles that did tremendous damage added to the experience. Gauntlet II took all the great things about the original, and cranked them all up a notch or two.

Gauntlet is a landmark game in co-op history. As one of the first four player arcade machines, it often was retooled and converted to newer games (Gauntlet II was a conversion kit, for example). I doubt that four player games would have been so popular later on were it not for Gauntlet's initial success. The phrases from the game are embedded into pop culture even today, more than two decades later. Gauntlet is available on XBLA, and Gauntlet II for PSN.

The co-op gameplay is obviously still popular, and Gauntlet has spawned some great remakes over the years. In 1998, Gauntlet Legends was released, bringing the elf, wizard, valkyrie and warrior to the third dimension. In 2000, Gauntlet Dark Legacy took the concept from Legends and expanded on it greatly, adding new classes and an epic, lengthy quest. Both games were ported to most home systems of the time. The co-op on these two titles carried on the fine tradition begun by Gauntlet itself. We will take an in depth look at both Gauntlet Legends and Gauntlet Dark Legacy in next week's Co-Op Classics. Until then, remember, don't shoot the food!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Some very interesting facts for you: Did you know that in1985 was the year that the four player at the same time
was first brought to you by gauntlet .Yes that's true people alo't of wot we see with online GAMES well the idea was first
done by this game!.. GAUNTLET. now i need food badly i am gonna get the missus to cook me some bacon and eggs. speak soon. and peace to you all frrr da da daddd da daaa! game over for now ill be back..

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Im sure i had a game called Gauntlet for the Sega Megadrive when i was a kid, that being said i dont remember much of it, just i used to go this lad with a huge axe. Never beat it though.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxy1
Correct me if I mistaken but I think the main reason gauntlet was such a phenomenon is because it was the first game that 4 people could play at the same time. No split screens, no LANs, there wasnt anything like it currently in the arcade at the time.

I have to correct you:
There have been several multiplayer arcade machines before.
Already in 1973 a couple of 4 player simultaneous arcade games were released:
- Leader by Midway
- Soccer by Ramtek
- Table Tennis by Nutting Associates
- Tennis Tourney by Allied Leisure Industries
Over the years even more 4 Player games were released. Some well known games are Quadrapong (1974) and Warlords (1980), both by Atari.
Warlords was later (1981) ported to the Atari 2600 and featured also 4 Player support.
Speaking of the Atari 2600 it also featured 4 Player simultaneous games, even before Gauntlet. Games like Steeplechase, Street Racer, Pressure Gauge 2, Party Mix, Video Olympics and of course Breakout (1978).

I think Gauntlet was just popular as at the time Fantasy and Sword & Socery was at a peak with so many movies coming out, Masters of the Universe and other stuff and also it was just a fun title to play.

Originally posted by Snoopie
Im sure i had a game called Gauntlet for the Sega Megadrive when i was a kid, that being said i dont remember much of it, just i used to go this lad with a huge axe. Never beat it though.

Gauntlet IV, released in 1993 for the Mega Drive/Genesis. In my oppinion the best Gauntlet. It's really fun in multiplayer
Highly recommended!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I have played the actual cabinet. My personal favorite was Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.
It was basically the same thing, but, they added a ton of content and enhanced the graphics a tad.
There was a big selection of characters in that one. My favorite was always the Valkyrie though.
I wish I still had my PS2 and the connector for four controllers. That game was second to none with
four buddies. Especially, when the loot competition got heated

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexander the Great

lol Its my potion .. leave it..

i have seen fights over the potions in the arcades in the 80s ..

then you had death coming at you so you had to leg it to the nearest exit..

now we come to the treasure room class but again whoever got to the exit first gets the goodies.
ohh and the arguments there as well..

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
the countdown when your life was going down as well......dum da dum da dum da dum da dum da dumda dum

fraa dada da da daaaaaaaaa puffs of smoke keys on the floor your mates nicking them lol

i remember me and a couple of my mates broke open one gauntlet game somewhere and clocked up the credits
and spent all night in this caravan site on the south coast of england.. ok was a bit naughty but i was like a kid at the time..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join