It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americas Little Known Water Crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I posted an article about this a few months ago, late night, with little replies. I fell this is a big issue and must be seen by all.

Very little news is out about the soon to be catastrophe of the depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer. The Ogallala Aquifer is one of the largest aquifers in the United States and provides 30% of the nation’s ground water for irrigation. These areas the aquifer is located are some of the most productive ranching and food growing in the United States, providing cattle, corn, wheat, and soybeans. The scary part is it is estimated to dry out in as little as 25 years.

As you all know the Midwest has been in drought, particularly northern Texas. It is theorized that the southern end of the aquifer, northern Texas, is near depletion and can no longer sustain cattle ranching and crops. As it stands now the Ogallala Aquifer is draining at a rate of 800 gallons a minute and climbing. As surface water grows scarcer the use of ground water will accelerate further decreasing the aquifer at an accelerated rate. A new dust bowl era will emerge but 10 times worse. Some estimate these new dust storms will grow and have the ability to reaching Washington DC! It’s now a mutual understanding that the depletion of the aquifer is imminent and the only thing we can do now is “provide a soft landing.” Below is a link about the ongoing Texas drought that no one is talking about. And I believe is due to the depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Ogallala Aquifer is not the only problem humanity is to face in the coming years. It is estimated that by 2025 2.5 BILLION humans will be living in SEVER drought! Like it or not water will be the new gold in the next 12-15 years. As water dries up in the Ogallala Aquifer and other Aquifers around the world, food will become scarcer. I fear troubling times for us all in the future, one way or another.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I agree lack of water is a problem. However, most of the earth's surface is water. We just need to figure out how to desalinate the water and get it inland. Not impossible, but potentially expensive without more efficient solar panels, or break throughs in energy like cold fusion, or some type of free energy.

NIce map. Got a link for that?
edit on 10-4-2012 by jim3981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I agree.. Water is a crisis like never before and as we're pumping water out of the aquifers, we're injecting trash liquid much deeper to work up into the voids. On water though... The nation isn't looking particularly healthy this year, that would be fair to say.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

It's not a depletion of underground reserves.

It's happened before.
And funny enough the economy was as bad then as it is now

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Salt Lake City, Utah
Its illegal to collect
your own water...

I wonder how long
before this spreads
to the rest of the states.

colorado & washington
have restrictions

but I need water to live
3 days without & i'm kapoot

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I have heard about these laws restricting the collection of rain water, and I think they are BS, I would consider burying a barrel under t downspout, with a board or patio stone over it, you could always use a pump to get the water out. Combine this with the laws suggesting that people not be allowed to grow their own food (gardening) and I have to wonder if TPTB are desperate to make us dependent on them for EVERYTHING.

Out of curiosity, is this not the aquifer that KeystoneXL is supposed to endanger?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It will get worse before it gets better, but I have my doubts this problem will be without a solution.

We have an incredibly amount of water to work with on this planet.

As demand increases, creative minds will figure a way to innovate the methods of desalinating ocean water into fresh, drinkable water.

Look at your utility bills. Water is almost always the cheapest. Even if in the future we pay 3-5x more for water, people will do it.

new topics

top topics

join