It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada looks to speed entry of skilled foreign workers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

The Rideau River's banks are amass of unmarked graves... but not really the point. The fact is that some genius has decided to take people from other countries rather than employing our own.

Let's not lose sight of what's important here... people are skilled here and can not find jobs. Besides, if it came to that ... what about people on welfare? Can they not be trained, or do they not want to work?

edit on 11-4-2012 by Invariance because: posted rather than previewed.. needed to finish my point

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is just another example of bureaucratic incompetence in how decisions are arrived at in order to solve a foreseeable problem. The world is scrambling to find new energy sources as populations rise. Western Canada has abundant undiscovered reserves and oil companies come in to find it. Then the domino affect takes over. Workers are brought in to these areas ... temporary camps are set up. These sites need logistical support, so towns, then cities are built. Skilled and unskilled labour are needed in order to build and maintain these locations. So suddenly the companies are in need of a large labour pool to draw on. The majority of these jobs are done 24/7/365 in rather harsh conditions and are physically challenging so normally a younger work force is more desirable for many reasons. I cannot understand how these fools that govern could not foresee that coming ( Ft. McMurray did not spring up over night ) and start by looking at areas of the country with high unemployment and do some serious headhunting. I left Ontario 30 yrs. ago during a economic slump and moved to Alberta looking for a new beginning. The writing was on the wall long ago that this century would see the rise of western economic power. The majority of people who come here to Alberta stay. Here in Edmonton they say there are two seasons ... winter and construction. Surely there are many that would be willing to leave there present homes to start something better. Why are they not looking at the aboriginal communities also? Unemployment rates in the reserves are among the highest in the country also, even though they have some of the youngest demographics. Bringing in cheep foreign labour is easier ? They seriously need to grasp their heads with both hands and with one firm tug, pull it out of their collective asses.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
If the positions that cannot be filled by Canadians, regardless if it is because no one is qualified, or nobody is willing to relocate, then I have no problems with this, but how about we offer those jobs to our neighbors to the south first, some of them are really hurting, I think it would be a good, neighborly thing to do, and they have a much higher chance of understanding our way of life, and culture than someone completely foreign to them. This is not to say I have a problem with immigrants from outside North America, lets just try and help our neighbors down the street before we worry to much about the people that live in another city.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I was thinking about this thread, discussing it with a colleague of mine and she put forth a good question: Why increase immigration when so many other countries are closing their borders?

Another thing, I know that when my friend's parents came to Canada from Europe, they had to work hard and do everything on their own. Now that is much easier with all the government startups being handed out. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to relocate and / or train people already here?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I disagree, Canada is bringing in new workers to increase tax revenue, it has nothing to do with jobs. The more people who can come into Canada with a job already and start paying taxes, the better for the national deficit.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by badconduct

I disagree, Canada is bringing in new workers to increase tax revenue, it has nothing to do with jobs. The more people who can come into Canada with a job already and start paying taxes, the better for the national deficit.

It would be nice if they give jobs to citizens first(of course when equal qualification is present), we should all enlist ourselves for jobs/career area that we are interested and we should get jobs according to that
!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield
reply to post by randomname

Just because an immigrant will work for $3/hr and live in what is basically a tool shed with no heat or electricity doesn't mean we should lower our standards and disregard the labor laws our grandfathers fought so hard to get enacted.

I also think this is BS, and am sick of browsing classifieds with so many open positions but only accepting people with 2-5 years of experience. I know a LOT of people who are stuck in dead-end jobs or don't have one at all and would love to pick up a trade, but no trade jobs are hiring fresh guys right now despite everybody saying that "Trades are the way to go!".

I know what you mean. Its the same as where I live. McDonald's jobs asking for college education. Meanwhile all the jobs worth applying for want ten years of school and 30 years of experience.

I took the electrical course in college. Two years of my life wasted as no companies are hiring apprentices. Then everyone always asks me "why don't you go get your apprenticeship? Isn't that what you went to school for?" Then I tell them that there are no jobs in that field, or just two or three month contracts, most only paying above minimum wage. Then they say "nonsense, aren't trades in demand? Your making excuses".

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by badconduct

Whatever the reason, I based my college education based on this fictitious demand in the trades. Only to find out there is no demand, and many,many people with the same diploma out of work.

I live in a fairly blue collar town. There are literally thousands of young people with trades diplomas that can't find work in the trades.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind an increase in immigration if the govt was giving away farm land to start production. Many of these immigrants come from farming areas and have much experience. Plus we could always use a boost in food production to increase the supply and bring down the price. Also there is a lot of unused, available farmland in Canada.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Just about every gas station and franchise convenience store in my city is owned or operated by immigrants who barely speak a word of English.

This is weird because five years ago this wasn't the case and the funny thing was there were barely any immigrants where I live. That and most people here were white.

Literally out of nowhere there are a ton of immigrants and they run all the convenience and gas stations???

I don't get it.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I live in Calgary, Alberta and there are not a lot of job openings out here. Unless you would like to work in fast food, maid services, cashier or waitress. Lots of those, always was. If you want a professional job or a career, if you have a degree it isn't good without experience (like 5 years min) - without a degree you got to start in the "mail room" for minimum wage (which is like $9CND here)and there are a lot of people who won't do that for what ever reason. Foreigners on the other hand have no problem working there way up, doing the dirty work or whatever you wanna call it. And the government benefits cause it helps them keep national wages lower and we all know conservatives would love that

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ashlynbell

In Ontario we are lead to believe that all the jobs in the country are in Alberta and that we should all move there if we can't find work in Ontario.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
reply to post by ashlynbell

In Ontario we are lead to believe that all the jobs in the country are in Alberta and that we should all move there if we can't find work in Ontario.

Same situation as Calgary here in SE Saskatchewan, moved here 8 years ago.

Eat or starve?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by badconduct

It would be nice if they give jobs to citizens first(of course when equal qualification is present), we should all enlist ourselves for jobs/career area that we are interested and we should get jobs according to that
!

ld like to correct u :they must give jobs citizen first

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

well as i understand, the government has already borrowed from the banks what they can from all the current canadians. perhaps every new immigrant brings new collateral to get more money from the banks. it is the taxable labor of the citizens which is the collateral for the borrowing the government does. more collateral = more available to borrow.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by snapoutofit

I can understand that logic...flawed as it is. The fact remains that many families either eat or pay their bills. It's a daily issue for too many people. With an influx of new people, it is only logical to see available jobs to go them due to the incentives that the government offers, that much happens already. The big issue to me is that if more people would equal more business, that would be great... sadly the global economy is not so great and many people are closing their businesses. With jobs being eliminated daily adding more people would be a disaster. What would happen to them or us? The welfare system is overburdened as it is, and do we really want more people on assistance?

I hope they do not go through with this because any way you look at it, lots of people will suffer.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

"Skilled workers" aren't beggars or refugees, they are people educated in a field that has high demand in Canada, and not enough qualified people to fill the possession. They make a lot of money, and pay a lot of tax.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

m.sympatico.ca

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said the government will modify its Federal Skilled Worker Program,which has been skewed towards professionals,to try to attract trades people and other skilled workers that are in short supply in Canada during the current commodities boom. The new system will also increase the role of employers in the immigration system, allowing them to fill vital jobs faster
(visit the link for the full news article)

I gotta ask, why? Because they won't hire the people that are skilled.

I have 38 years in electronics engineering, software, firmware, encryption and hardware development as well as physics, working for the military, ORDCF, the NRC and universities as a private research and development contractor. I had to open my own business (a couple actually), because nobody will employ me otherwise and it's been that way since 2001. I just designed an entire electronic system in 3 days using Cadence/Orcad/Allegro (it took me 5 days for a microwave weapon system controller) and I'm filing patents next week. Yeah, I shouldn't be hired for anything, especially not my own field.

But this is happening and not just to me, I know other people that don't swallow the MSM and government BS that this happening to as well. I've seen math and physics PhD's as well as engineers and architects stocking shelves in grocery stores! I have been doing some research on this from a personal level, sending out the FOIA's to easily piss-off-able government departments. I have come to the conclusion that the government in Canada anyway, has lists of people they consider dangerous for whatever ridiculous reason and they are using the social insurance number system to make sure certain (many) people don't get hired. Call me paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not after me ;-) It doesn't help that they give my history to every ef'ing government department. It got so stupid, I published a book in 2006 to save them some trouble and name a few of them for the sake of posterity.

I think the government just wants to bring in more immigrants to upset the political balance even more so they can continue with the divide and conquer thing they have going on.

Cheers - Dave

If this is the case my friend, you just do not know how to market yourself.
You use the Internet, 100%, and sites like Monster etc...
When you find a job you are interested in, you apply and always use a cover letter.
In the cover letter, DO NOT put in a diatribe like you posted, corporate types that read that stuff hate that approach.
What you do is emphasize that you are a team player, have no ego as to how you would prefer to participate in their job offering, and that you prefer a synergetic atmosphere where people share ideas.
You NEVER post a salary guideline, always post "negotiable".
You briefly list accomplishments that met expected results, usually ahead of schedule.
You politely enter and exit the cover letter with "Respectfully sirs" and " I hope the experience represented in my resume meets your expectations." and then "Regards, -yourname-"
On the internet, your resume can be as elaborate and detailed as you want. This is not a paper push, but instead is readable by computer, so do not abbreviate - this is against just about any resume pro you may hire, screw them -

Before you get your phone interview, which will probably come, use google chrome and put up 10-20 pages concerning your key attributes/disciplines that you have outlined in your resume. Then save it using the settings feature of google chrome so that when you get the phone interview, you can call up google chrome and have every page tabbed invoked automatically so that you can consult them during the interview.

In the phone interview, remember that team approach, synergy, do not care about office, just want to be open with people, are your answers to any environment questions.

You have to be adaptable and ready for someone who is just going to take down notes, not grille you with details, and just wants to know what type of person you are. You will never get any further if you cannot get by the corporate guidelines these recruiters are programmed to screen.

After this, you may get into the facility, where you will be able to converse with the engineering types that you are used to talking to, and impress them with your skills.]

I hope you listen to this, and good luck on your next real interview.

edit on 12-4-2012 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The new system will also increase the role of employers in the immigration system, allowing them to fill vital jobs faster.

I guess this job requires the immigrants to build the pipeline in an expedient manner?...Of course they will, cheap labor, and a faster job....

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

m.sympatico.ca

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said the government will modify its Federal Skilled Worker Program,which has been skewed towards professionals,to try to attract trades people and other skilled workers that are in short supply in Canada during the current commodities boom. The new system will also increase the role of employers in the immigration system, allowing them to fill vital jobs faster
(visit the link for the full news article)

IT Professionals? If so I am soooooooooooo there!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join