It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of U.S. teen births lowest in 70 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Number of U.S. teen births lowest in 70 years
By Agence France-Presse
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:58 EDT -- The Raw Story

It seems the teen birth rate is falling rapidly.

The current rate of 34.3 births per 1,000 women aged 15-19 is down 44% from 1991, and 64% lower than the record set during the 1957 “baby boom” of 96.3 births per 1,000.

I wonder how much further it will fall if and when ObamaCare kicks in with free contraceptives.

The number of new teenage mothers in the United States is at its lowest level in nearly 70 years but remains the highest of any major developed country, according to official figures released Tuesday.

The current rate of 34.3 births per 1,000 women aged 15-19 is down 44 percent from a peak in 1991, and is 64 percent lower than the record set during the 1957 “baby boom” of 96.3 births per 1,000.

In 2010 just under 368,000 babies were born to women aged 15-19, in addition to 4,500 born to girls aged 10-14, according to the figures released by the National Center for Health Statistics.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Birth rates across the board are falling... wonder if its all the feminizing chemicals in things like plastic bottles...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Maybe because half of today's kids are depressed, have "autism", and are busy playing video games.
edit on 10-4-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Its because of that show on MTV called Teen Mom. I know it gave my sisters a better understanding of how hard it would be to be a Teen Mother.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Im afraid of having kids personally. I don't want the government to take them away.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Gotta love stats.

What are the rates of abortion and failed pregnancy for the same periods?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Birth rates across the board are falling... wonder if its all the feminizing chemicals

The economy has a lot to do with it, people are putting off having kids. Good, maybe in about 50 years we'll be able to employ everybody.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
Gotta love stats.

Good Catch....

It seems the teen abortion rate has also fallen.

The teen abortion rate in 2008 dropped to the lowest rate seen since 1972 at 17.8 per 1,000 teen girls and women, the analysis found, and was down 59 percent from 1988 when the abortion rate peaked at 43.5 per 1,000 teen women.

The Guttmacher researchers said the decline in teen birthrates was largely attributable to increased contraceptive use by teens of both genders.

"Teens are also using more effective forms of contraception," said Kathryn Kost, a demographer with the Guttmacher Institute who co-authored the analysis.

Among women aged 15 to 17, about a quarter of the long-term decline in pregnancies, births and abortions could be attributable to reduced sexual activity, the researchers said.

But pregnancy, birth and abortion rates remained much higher for teens who belonged to minority groups, even though their overall rates have fallen over the past four decades.
Teen pregnancy, abortion rates at record low, study says

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If I had 3kids by 19, in this time period, would that change the statistics?
I knew another girl pregnant with her 5th @19 .
I think it may be fewer girls, just more babies, unless. They take the above into account.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Funny how the creeping threat of liberal sex-ed in our schools seems to match this falling pregnancy rate....hmmmmm.....no, it's the chemicals, sure.

Seconding the Teen Mom anti-pregnancy trend, but that's much more recent, and can't account for the steadily falling rate over all the years before it debuted as well.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Birth rates across the board are falling... wonder if its all the feminizing chemicals in things like plastic bottles...

You do realize female hormones would increase fertility in women right? These chemicals mimic estrogen, the more estrogen a woman has the more likely she is to be fertile.

It should also be noted we are seeing the highest rate of obesity in history at this time. Being overweight is likely render one less fertile.
edit on 10-4-2012 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
GM foods feed to lab rats made them infertile after three generations,
GM foods are in nearly everything,

GM is population control food
why do you think the white house is GM FREE?
xploder

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
Gotta love stats.

That is the first thing I thought of as well and expected to see some corresponding raise in abortion rates. As websites go for stats, I think we can all agree this one is among the least likely to ever lowball abortion numbers...and they show them dropping, not rising.

That is a good question. What is going on if the birth rate is dropping in a society that is anything but more prude or chaste than it has been in the past. Heck... It isn't the free love of the 60's I suppose...but only because a President redefined what sex is.

Year by Year abortion numbers 1974- present

Note: I just looked back at my own link and numbers and there is a pattern that is almost humorous to see in the numbers from two different sources. It would appear abortions in America hit their all time (to date) peak in the mid-term of George H.W. Bush. Go figure.... That is NOT the pattern I would have expected to see. Hmmmm
edit on 10-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Not at all. They only mimic estrogen, they aren't estrogen. They disrupt the reproductive cycle processes of both sexes, not make females more fertile.

The most famous BPA;

A 2011 study using the rhesus monkey – a species that is very similar to humans in regard to pregnancy and fetal development – found that prenatal exposure to BPA causes changes in female primates' uterus development.[114] A 2011 rodent study found that male rats exposed to BPA had lower sperm counts and testosterone levels than those of unexposed males.[115] A 2011 mice study found that male mice exposed to BPA became demasculinized and behaved more like females in their spatial navigational abilities. They were also less desirable to female mice.[116]

In a 2010 study, mice were given BPA at doses thought to be equivalent to levels currently being experienced by humans. The research showed that BPA exposure affects the earliest stages of egg production in the ovaries of the developing mouse fetuses, thus suggesting that the next generation may suffer genetic defects in such biological processes as mitosis and DNA replication. In addition, the research team noted that their study "revealed a striking down-regulation of mitotic/cell cycle genes, raising the possibility that BPA exposure immediately before meiotic entry might act to shorten the reproductive lifespan of the female" by reducing the total pool of fetal oocytes.[111]

Another 2010 study with mice concluded that BPA exposure in utero leads to permanent DNA alterations in sensitivity to estrogen.[112] Also in 2010, a rodent study found that by exposing fetal mice to BPA during pregnancy and examining gene expression and DNA in the uteruses of female fetuses, BPA exposure permanently affected the uterus by decreasing regulation of gene expression.

The changes caused the mice to over-respond to estrogen throughout adulthood, long after the BPA exposure, thus suggesting that early exposure to BPA genetically "programmed" the uterus to be hyper-responsive to estrogen. Extreme estrogen sensitivity can lead to fertility problems, advanced puberty, altered mammary development and reproductive function, as well as a variety of hormone-related cancers. One of the authors concluded that BPA may be similar to diethylstilbestrol that caused birth defects and cancers in young women whose mothers were given the drug during pregnancy.[113]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Lucky for you I have already studied this subject. Though I don't know on the top of my head the exact results or numbers. Russia which was a communist country now has a negative birth rate, which means they are in decline. The reason was due to communist child support laws and ways of thinking where the men would actually fear the government and feared reproduction and the birth rate declined. That is in fact where the term one night stand came from.

Though in America we are still in the positive, we are following their footsteps.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

GMO has nothing to do with it,

Good thought though, for future generations.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

BPA has been linked to mostly MALE infertility. I have no doubt it's not good for you, but I don't think it's at play here. If anything, it's causing the onslaught of early puberty this country is seeing.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
What is going on if the birth rate is dropping in a society that is anything but more prude or chaste than it has been in the past.

Obvious answer is obvious: rising rates of condom and birth control use.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

What is going on if the birth rate is dropping in a society that is anything but more prude or chaste than it has been in the past.

And here I would have thought it was all due to

the return of wholesome and humble family values and conservatism.

Or at least it would link to the sales figures for Bibles.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by 00nunya00

And here I would have thought it was all due to

the return of wholesome and humble family values and conservatism.

Or at least it would link to the sales figures for Bibles.

Lol, i doubt it. I grew up in that kind of a household you know. Couldn't cut my hair, wear pants or even wear shiny lip gloss. I knew plenty of kids in church who were getting some. It's a natural urge and no amount of indoctrination will kill it off. You can just scare some people enough to either just masturbate or get married way to young (which is the norm in the south, the divorce rate just proves it), but most of them just get condoms or sneak the pill from the health department.
edit on 10-4-2012 by antonia because: opps

top topics

<<   2 >>

join