The woman, who was a grad student and Ph.D candidate in pharmacology at Boston University, was taken to Boston Medical Center, where she died.
Originally posted by cavalryscout
Seems a little spooky and an extravagant way to commit suicide.
Why would she put so many other people at risk?
Seems like it would be easier to jump out a window or off of the roof of a building. Take a bunch of sleeping pills. Slit your wrists. Blow your brains out..... a lot of easier ways to commit suicide.
Originally posted by getreadyalready
I think the link is too long in the post. I used the quote button, and cut ant pasted it into my browser and it went to the right place. Try This one.
It appears the Sodium Azide can metabolize into a cyanide, and that is probably the reason for the extreme caution. Cyanide is dangerous at the slightest touch, and if they knew she had cyanide poisoning, but didn't know where it came from then they would use extreme caution.
The people taken to the hospital didn't show any signs of symptoms.
It seems this was just a case of extreme caution, and after all the factors were known it wasn't a big deal, except for the suicide.
Now, on a more conspiratorial note, I am suspicious anytime a "researcher" commits suicide, especially if it is done in a manner like this one. Was it really suicide?edit on 10-4-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)
Originally posted by Trublbrwing
reply to post by getreadyalready
That's where it gets weird, apparently something similar occurred last year in Boston.
I would agree about them just being cautious if they had said "unidentified" cause or chemical in the first article but it seems they were pretty sure what they were dealing with.
Maria Ober, a spokeswoman for the BU Medical Campus, said Brown worked at a biomedical lab and researched the effects of aging on the brain.
Brown’s death follows at least three similar incidents in Eastern Massachusetts.
A Brighton woman in her 70s died in March 2011 in an apparent suicide after ingesting cyanide, and a Northeastern University researcher died in her Milford home the previous September after drinking orange juice mixed with sodium cyanide.
Last May, a Somerville man died about a week after he was found in his home behind a bathroom door with a note attached that warned of poisonous gas.