It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds Conservative views linked to "low effort" thinking

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This is exactly what I have been saying for a while. People who don't want to have to think for themselves adopt conservative positions, because they are quick and simple, and don't require much analysis. I think they also don't want to take responsibility for their own decisions, so they adopt the conventional views, whether they make sense or not.

Conservative Politics, 'Low-Effort' Thinking Linked In New Study

Conservatives and liberals don't seem to agree about much, and they might not agree about recent studies linking conservatism to low intelligence and "low-effort" thinking. As The Huffington Post reported in February, a study published in the journal "Psychological Science" showed that children who score low on intelligence tests gravitate toward socially conservative political views in adulthood--perhaps because conservative ideologies stress "structure and order" that make it easier to understand a complicated world. Ouch. And now there's the new study linking conservative ideologies to "low-effort" thinking.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Political ideology has nothing to do with thoughtfulness.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I have always found it hard to put much stock in these "studies" that focus on politics and intelligence or quality of thought.

I am not trying to defend republicans or conservatives here. I am sure we have all seen a few shining examples of Darwinism among them.

But does this study also account for all those pinnacles of critical thinking that voted for Obama so they could "Get some of that cash, from his stash"?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The Huffington Post is a joke. This is 'low effort' journalism..

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
"People endorse conservative ideology more when they have to give a first or fast response," the study's lead author, University of Arkansas psychologist Dr. Scott Eidelman, said in a written statement released by the university." America's Pravda

If you ever took a written exam and were undecided, didn't anyone ever tell you your first choice is probably the right one?

PS. Arianna is a 1 percenter now. She got that way by screwing the people that made her popular.
edit on 10-4-2012 by Nite_wing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Let's just link liberal views to genocidal then.

That would make too much sense.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Hey I would love to see the group researched to find these results I'm sure if i went to an inner city school filled with low test scores and violence I would find the opposite of these findings and i know how racist that sounds but this test has to be flawed in some way and sounds extremely biased in my point of view.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Political ideology has nothing to do with thoughtfulness

Apparently it does. Actually current events show that it does, what with the republicans trying to bankrupt all of us so they can take the money and run.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Apparently it does. Actually current events show that it does, what with the republicans trying to bankrupt all of us so they can take the money and run.

Really? That is the stupidest thing Ive ever heard.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I think the study, and the Huffington Post are both flawed....

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Children who attend July 4 celebrations are more likely to identify themselves as Republicans later in life

Next Huffington Post headline?

Constitution leading cause of Bird-Flu, Terrorism and Leprosy: Study finds

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I noticed you didn't bother to post this quote

"Our research shows that low-effort thought promotes political conservatism, not that political conservatives use low-effort thinking.

I wonder if that is because it doesn't support your little theory? I would agree though... one does have to think long and hard to rationalize how any idea from the left makes a lick of sense. One really has to do quite a bit of mental gymnastics in order to make complete nonsense sound like a good idea.

Not to mention, low effort thought is not synonymous with low intelligence as the "author" of this article would like to think. I would bet on a conservative over a liberal any day of the week on an IQ test.

This is a farce of an article and an even larger farce of a "study" Also, I see no source as to what a "conservative" viewpoint is nor what type of conservative they are talking about. Not to mention what the questions were?Wonder if the questions may have been a bit leading? It would take quite a bit of low effort thought to simply take these results as anything close to representing truth or reality.

Not surprised that you jumped on it without questioning its validity as I am quite sure anybody who would create a post like this uses low effort thought quite a bit.

This may come as a surprise but conservative is a catch all term that literally paints a large brush over a great number of people who have very different political thoughts and views.

Also, did you bother to look at the sample size of the study and the people who participated? drunks and under-grads... certainly the best of the best when it comes to creating conservative ideologies and original political thought.

edit on 10-4-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

^
I
I
I
ahahahahah thank you for that i needed a laugh and some reassurance that this test was flawed which it is as proven by your amazing example of a post

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Link

The method for study #1

to the study. Method Participants and procedure. Eighty-five community members (29% female) who were patrons of a local New England bar participated without remuneration. Mixed-sex groups of 3 to 4 experimenters obtained permission to stand outside the bar’s busiest exit and approach potential participants as they left. Participants were asked to complete a short survey about social attitudes in exchange for learning their BAC. Before collecting data, experimenters verified that each participant was at least 21 years of age and not driving.

Method for study #2

Participants and design. Thirty-eight undergraduates from the University of Maine (89% female) enrolled in an introductory psychology course participated in exchange for extra credit. Participants were run in small groups but worked independently. Each session was randomly assigned to one level of a cognitive load manipulation.

So, 85 drunk people and 38 psychology students doing it for extra credit.

Seems legit

edit on 10-4-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think true conservatism is "low effort" thinking meaning common sense. Of course not even mainstream conservatives follow this these days, and the liberals certainly dont.
edit on 10-4-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Maybe I missed this, but are the democrats not trying to bankrupt us? And conservatives are the dumb ones? Both sides are doing their part in that and to support any of them would be enough proof of "low effort thinking".

If your looking for something to blame, blame partisan politics and divisive BS like this thread.
edit on 10-4-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
One might interpret conservative views as views that are close to one's family's or chosen social group; staying within predefined lines. In that context it makes sense that if one puts a low effort into thinking for themselves that they would conform to the group-think.

Screw left-right lines drawn in the sand, if your political thoughts are lacking in original discovery or effort you are stuck in what the group thinks and collective intelligence of a group dims as a group gets bigger in my opinion

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

And what exactly makes you think a liberal that had money wouldn't do the same?

link   
This is a little biased, no? After all it is Huffington Post.
Fiscal Conservative: In respects to that, is it "low effort" thinking to be against erroneous over spending? Look where that has taken the nation!

Originally posted by METACOMET

Children who attend July 4 celebrations are more likely to identify themselves as Republicans later in life

Next Huffington Post headline?

Constitution leading cause of Bird-Flu, Terrorism and Leprosy: Study finds

Good examples of what direction that news outfit stands by.
edit on 10-4-2012 by dreamingawake because: edit?

link   
reply to post by CB328

One man..Michael Savage....says liberalism is a mental disorder and the response is to commission studies to prove the opposite...pathetic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join