It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research: Some Cancer Diagnoses Kill Quicker Than The Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

A cancer diagnosis may be the most traumatic thing that can befall a patient within the contemporary medical system; that is, beyond the conventional cancer treatments themselves, many of which have life-threatening and even lethal side effects.

New research now indicates that a cancer diagnosis may be as fatal as the cancer itself, dramatically increasing the risk of suicide and heart-related death in the week following diagnosis.

Published in the New England Journal of Medicine this month, researchers looked at data on more than 6 million Swedes aged 30 and older between 1991-2006 using the country’s health registries in order to determine how the psychological toll of cancer diagnosis impacts the risk for death. After analyzing over 500,000 people who were diagnosed with cancer during that period, the risk of suicide was found to be 12 times higher and the risk of heart-related death 6 times higher during the first week following diagnosis versus those who were cancer free.

It seems that there needs to be a paradyne shift in the medical community. Doctors need to drop the somber tone and deal with patients in a upbeat and positive way. No matter how dire the situation, patients deserve to be treated as humans and not statistics.

It's really not that suprising when you consider our programmed reflex for fear. It's just like when the MSM yells "terrorism" and we all freeze like mice. Cancer exhibits the same fear reflex, but it's this reflex we must avoid if we want to have the best chance at winning the fight.

(Source)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
My aunt whos been battling cancer for several years has just been visited by her GP, he told her theres no more they can do. Now she's stopped eating and going down hill rapidly. She's 89 years old, it would have been much kinder to have not told her.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
alkaline water prevents cancer

flouridated water causes cancer

which one is our tap/drinking water supply and which one isn't?

no wonder so many kids and teens nowadays get bone cancers & r dumb

edit on 10-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I was very lucky to have a great group of doctors when I was diagnosed with cancer. They cared about my emotional well being as well as the physical aspects. Cancer is gone now but still having precautionery treatments. Yes it is scary to get such a diagnosis, but it doesn't always mean death.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

OP, good source that I respect or I wouldn't have read further...

While not surprised by the finding, (labelling theory has long played a role in outcomes in medical/psychological fields), I did find the numbers cited revealing.

The truth (about one's condition) should always prevail on the topic of diagnoses, but probably only once a emotional support system and multi-disciplinary medical/psychological team is determined to be in place ahead of time.

Keep the hope, all you survivors! I have a number in my family and a combination of supports, faith, and medicine (standard/protocol and alternative) has kept them alive longer "than expected" or in remission.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The real problem consists of people psychologically giving the medical profession a lot more authority than it deserves.

General practitioners are not Gods. They are bottom feeders within an industry that has been consistently proving its' incompetence and malevolence for a hundred and fifty years.
edit on 11-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join