It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“If you’ve done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.”

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
“If you’ve done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.” I wonder if you ask a Jew that may be still alive that survived the Holocaust if that's what they were told as well before they started rounding them all up and systematically exterminating them. Make no mistake about it...the over surveillance of the average citizen is out of control.

george soros the Jew who admittedly helped raust the other Jews and whoever else,
and then gave thier assests to the rothschildes....
is still alive and well...
and running stuff

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Thanks for creating this thread. The statement “If you’ve done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about” is definitely an overused one that lacks reason - especially when it is used to justify the systematic removal of rights and freedoms that one should expect from living in a civilised society.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Yeh I see your point , I think my arguement is that no government body or education department seeks to inform anyone of their rights as though we are supposed to know them from birth.

as you know governments are instituted amongst men to protect and maintain individual rights amongst other things. So why is it that the government makes no attempt to inform those who do not know their rights , where they stand and what is granted them from the day of their birth.

I did not know my rights until one day I decided to look up the bill of rights from the UK and magna carta and other documents that have passed in the UK.

It is our responsibility to know of our own rights and of our legal obligations if we are to remain lawful citizens.
However rights whilst self evident as they maybe to some , is not always the case to others.
Im now 29 and I didnt fully understand my rights as a human being until I was 27.

I was never once told about my rights as human being growing up in primary school or highschool and even in University. There is no where that actually seeks to inform those not in the know about your rights in the UK education system.

I bet they dont even teach US kids their rights either!

I wasnt seeking your approval by the way just agreeing with your previous post .

The reason why we are losing our freedoms is because we dont know we have rights. So many people in the UK dont even know where they stand , and hence the reason they brought in legal practitioners , because it was made so complex for the layman , they couldnt comprehend the system and so we are stuck with the lawyers /solicitors and the like who are only seeking profit not the protection of freemen and women from unlawful acts and statutes which infringe on individual liberties .

edit on 11-4-2012 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Maybe it's because i live in the countryside, but i don't notice any infringment on my privacy. It looks to me like all these camera's and drones are being used on city folk. I don't think it will ever be very economical to put up camera's on dirt roads.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
My biggest qualm with it is the storm of distrust that surveillance breeds.

If a government doesn't trust its people, why should the people trust said government?

Facebook is really overrated. Once you stop using it you realize how big of a useless time sink it is. I mean its good if you want to get in touch with people who you have lost contact with, but that's about it. If you're going to have a Facebook be VERY wary of what you post, and perhaps use a fake name or alias, linked with a fake email and fake phone number.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

90% of what gets data mined is willfully done by the crowd to begin with...

the other part where the government data collection agencies (NSA, et al) are given the authority to classify whom they please as 'terrorism suspects' is the monster-in-the-closet
Just about everything innocently done can be turned into an act of larceny/arnarchy/misdemeanors/terror by the manipulation of 'facts' and the exclusion of other 'facts'...

About tracking & data mining operations:--

On Easter Sunday at one of the nationwide DIY hardware stores the check out cashier was asking if the shopper would like to sign-up for a company wide account which would keep track of all your purchases and product searches, have all that info outlined for tax preparation, etc---

I declined as this was a cleaver intrusion into my privacy & into my home (you voluntarily tell the system the locks you have and window sizes in every room etcetra...

i said No Thanks, a shoe box of receipts will get to the tax accountant for handling...i made no mention( in protest) that i would be giving away the layout of my home and the keyed entry lock tumbler sequences among other things... so the DHS thugs in the future would not need to bust in my door- they just enter with a key ! thus saving the repair costs as All the property gets transferred to the local police agency under current seizure laws.

Not even mentioning my reservations that my 'data' would result in 'targeted Ads' every which way i turned on the internet...besides the 'data' getting sold to 3rd & 4th parties...
(no wonder any ISP address is going to billed for multi Gigabytes of bandwidth each month... there are presently UnWanted video clips of Ads that are sent to a persons address...) it does not matter if you watch the Ad or not, because it was delivered to your ISP & you are getting charged for the useage !

Silent thunder...you put a lot of effort and wordage into the OP... you a tech writer or something?

Thanks for the thread...i only glossed over 2 of the points which gall me the most, amen

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hi,

Great thread thanks for posting.

I totally agree that the "I've got nothing to hide" argument and mentality has got to go.

I often post articles and links about all this to my friends and the only thing that comes out of their mouths is exactly that... i have nothing to hide. Well that doesnt mean its ok for people to spy in your private life LOL.

I often ask them if they would think it was okay if I broke into their PCs and homes to read through their mail, check phone messages and important information. They always say "well thats not the same". Its like they automatically trust anyone in power.

And you know what? These types of 'people' who dont care about all this ARE ACTUALLY MORE DANGEROUS TO ME THAN ANY TERRORIST WILL EVER BE.

Because of such attitudes, we are losing our rights and freedoms.

Cheers~
edit on 11-4-2012 by Jeedawg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio!

Silent thunder...you put a lot of effort and wordage into the OP... you a tech writer or something?

Nope, just a lover of reading and writing, semi-retired now with plenty of time to polish my limited skills and follow my interests wherever they lead me. (Which reminds me: I've sort of been half-heartedly and very slowly working on my life story recently, if you or anyone else is interested. The link is in my signature. Forgive the shameless ego pump, which may seem off-key in a thread about privacy...but this is my choice to reveal, which makes all the difference. Plus, most of that info is out there already anyway. Sign of the times. Might as well take control of my own narrative.) Thanks very much for the great complement on my writing, though. If you think I'm a pro I must be doing something right.

And thanks to everyone else, too. The rapid and generally positive response to this thread has been highly gratifying.

The world is changing so fast vis-a-vis privacy, I feel that none of us have a clear understanding of the implications. They sure aren't looking pretty, however, IMHO.

Some great posts here...keep 'em coming, friends.

edit on 4/11/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It is in the Bill of Rights, the first amendments to the Constitution.

The right to protection from illegal searches.

It's the fourth one.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Whats good for the goose is good for etc. etc. etc. If the world is going to be monitoring everyone it should also monitor government as well. If it's one sided, a hunch is that some individuals with .22's and scopes will disable the outdoor cameras. Ah ha ha ha ha ha....... Fair is fair unless this is becoming a dictatorship, and if that''s the case, all's fair, it's likely time for a revolution worldwide... no?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

How in Hades has this anything to do with the Constitution?? It is a simple matter of a basic human right to be left alone. Especially when you are doing nothing to affect others. We shouldn't have to have a legal document for that. The simple fact that I wish to be left to my own devices should be enough. What ever happened to "I wont bother you, if you don't bother me"? I personally couldn't care less about what you do so long as it doesn't infringe upon my happiness. Meaning if you aren't hurting anyone you are free to do as you please.
I am very stingy about the information I give out about myself. I hold my cards close to my vest and I control the information. I never let people know my mind and I surround myself with only people I trust. There isn't much you can do about personal details such as employment status, address, phone numbers, etc. But you CAN control information about who you are. Don't advertise your own misdeeds. This is a huge problem with the younger generation right now. They all think they are funny and clever but it WILL bite them in the end.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

It's not a matter of *if* you are doing anything wrong or not, it's a matter of (for wrong-doers and right-doers alike) what have you got to lose.

It appears a though even your own home is meant to be invaded by spytech. And certainly don't forget who wants it there, big business, but mostly government. Your freedom is at stake, paint as many cup cakes or rainbows on it as you want, and try to guilt people into it by saying "if you're doing nothing wrong" but some of us just are doing nothing wrong and outright refuse. In fact this is my line in the sand issue, liberty or death my friends. I will not be spied on and micromanaged for the environment as people are suggesting that I do, I've already done my part for the environment and I will do no more to cover for the wasteful that maybe do deserve to be watched.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anon77
The simple fact is the governments/people in control don't trust any of the general public. Doesn't matter if you have or haven't done anything wrong. It's all just words written on some document to prove to the public that 'look we've written it into law, if you've done nothing wrong you don't need to worry, we got your back, we're protecting you from the terrorists, trust us'. In actual fact the governments and security forces of various countries are INCREASING their monitoring abilities. They don't care what the law says! Their above that! They really want watch you!? They really want to get you!? THEY WILL NO MATTER WHAT THE LAW SAYS! You can't fight control and command structures like that.

But...

You can make their lives difficult. For instance I have built into 2 of my hoodies and one rain jacket 6 small high powered infrared LED's at the top of the hood and a small battery pack and switch in the back of the hood. The effect is on cctv the infra red LED's dazzle the camera completely obscuring your face. Because they are infrared they don't even look switched on to normal people looking at you and they are very small so not really noticeable. Why do I do this? Call it 'civil disobedience' I have nothing to hide but I do object to my image being collected on hundreds of camera's every day. You can build the same into any hat or headgear.

Infrared hoodies, good idea.

Too bad Travon Martin didn't have one when he got shot by the scared neighborhood watch guy packin heat and harassing him. Well, it wouldn't matter to people on foot or non-infrared cameras, but I like the cloak of invisibility idea. You don't even need a hoodie which will get you shot in Florida, you only need a baseball cap which is still ok to wear at the moment or a pair of glasses to mount the IR emitters.

And as a reminder to those who ARE concerned about their privacy and the misuse of information, always carry 2 cameras and record every event that might be used against you. I have a keychain camera that looks like any key fob or car door opener for those less tech savvy. This is my personal backup cam to record the situation without anyone knowing so they don't act differently. If they are able to get my cell phone cam from me I still have them being recorded and I can use that evidence to turn the tables if need be.

Do not use social media! My identity was stolen because of Facebook and my credit is ruined. There is no retribution for these incidents and only those people who have had it happen to them personally would believe the magnitude of trouble that can come from being open and honest on the internet.

Big brother IS WATCHING and he has his own agenda. If you become a target there is not much you can do to defend yourself other than changing your name and leaving your entire life behind hoping some facial recognition software will not pick up your mug while you are shopping in your new life.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
Maybe it's because i live in the countryside, but i don't notice any infringment on my privacy. It looks to me like all these camera's and drones are being used on city folk. I don't think it will ever be very economical to put up camera's on dirt roads.

You are right; for now. I am sure you noticed the cameras in the bigger cities because you had to go there for work or supplies am I right? Almost everyone is affected by the cameras in the bigger cities because they frequent them as well without actually living there.

What I am noticing is the owners of the cameras are no longer government, but private surveillance companies out to make a buck. That being said, it would not take much of a stretch of imagination to envision the companies putting out quota's to the local branches to cover costs and make them profitable.

Manipulating data or video is a simple matter whether you did anything wrong or not. A simple solution is not to go where these cameras are. If that is not an option you can use cloaking for your face and plate to keep cameras from identifying you. Is it illegal to protect your identity while in your car on a public road? Not yet! I say it is better to not be seen than to hope you are never falsely accused of something.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

….The right to present different faces to different people at different times: This is an issue specifically regarding Facebook, Google, and social networks. Do you not act differently to your boss, your mother, your significant other, and your best buddy? Do you not show these people different faces and different sides of yourself? Do you really want your boss to be able to access information meant for your drinking pals? Until now, humans have enjoyed the flexibility to present themselves in different ways at different times. This flexibility is not "deceit;"on the contrary, it is an ancient human tool for survival, and a kind of natural right. When you give it up, you are giving up power to the info-managers like Facebook, and your life becomes like a poker game with transparent cards…..

You know, this is a really excellent point and not one I usually hear when people talk about this topic. But you are absolutely right, this is part of being human. I’m a very different person when I talk to my friends than I am when I talk to people in a professional capacity…or my mother, for that matter. Or when I talk to you people here. I’m a glistening sac here, but I don’t think I necessarily want my mom (or my clients, for that matter) associating me with a glistening sac. Is that hypocritical? Not at all. For the reasons you mentioned. And this is very important, and something people lose track of. Thanks for stating it.

More generally I’ve noticed people having boundary issues more and more. They don’t know when to keep their danged mouths shut and how to treat people in different contexts. There is a sense that its somehow deceptive or two-faced to behave differently in different contexts, but nothing could be further from the truth. Are they trying to shame us into giving up our contextuality? The idea that if you are holding back something it is somehow shameful or less than completely honest is a pernicious one. This idea needs further developing. Thanks, OP.

edit on 11-4-2012 by GlisteningSac because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
“If you’ve done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.”

Except in cases where you used self defense on a man or woman of another race.

This is not in any way referencing the recent shooting in Florida.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Think you have nothing to worry about in terms of your self control, privacy, and government involvement in who you are and what you do.

Think you don't have anything to worry about because you are a good little citizen?, you fail to understand the psychology and psychotic mindset of those in power.

Everything in this link is proven, everything is now 50 years more advanced.

www.richplanet.net...

edit on 11-4-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

This is a very good answer to the Constitutional questions about personal privacy. There is also a Notice of Understanding and Intent And Claim of Right

Therefore I am now contacting the various government officials named above in the hopes that someone can either confirm or correct my understanding. If you do choose to respond with corrections, I must insist that you do so within Fourteen(14) days of service of this letter, in writing, via registered mail and provide proof of your claim, under oath or attestation with full commercial liability and penalty of perjury. A lack of response or response that does not contain proof of my mistaken understanding, on a point-by-point basis, will be assumed to imply agreement with my understanding. Failure to dispute the claims made herein will result in an automatic default judgment and permanent and irrevocable estoppel by acquiescence. Now, specifically in The United States I understand that there is both a common law and statute law tradition, which is interesting, because I also understand that a statute is a legislated rule of a society, which has the force of law upon members of that society; a society being a fictional legal entity such as a corporation. I also understand that the Government of the US is not a nation as I thought it was, occupying a geographical location, but instead merely a corporation with de-facto authority, rather than lawful. This corporation can only make corporate/contract law that has the force of law only upon its consenting members. From my research, the “law of the land,” is the peaceful common law, which is not influenced by acts and statutes. Under common law, the rights, freedoms, and duties of private individuals have long been established and unlike statute law, common law has had a progression towards more freedom and personal responsibility rather than less. Among the rights and freedoms understood by common law are such things as the rights to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, property and use thereof, privacy, peace, and the ability to travel freely in public without harassment or intimidation.
source
With this instrument filed in your Venue, with proper authorities, your rights are established from that point on.
Never talk to the cops, or freely answer any question not directly related to your identity, and your vehicle's registration papers and insurance.
Give your name as your first name only, and say, "Family of XXXX," rather than, "Frank XXXX." Say "Frank, family of XXXX."
Never allow your vehicle, or your person to be searched without a warrant.
Remember always, unless you Know your Rights, then you do not have any Rights.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I was a Prosecutor for 25 years. If you people really knew the power of the State you'd be terrified. ANYONE can be charged with a crime that will put them away, pretty much, forever. No more ignorant words are spoken by citizens than "if you haven't done anything wrong". Another one we heard just as stupid was, "if you're innocent, you don't need a lawyer."

There is a reason my conviction rate was around 97%.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
When I first got online and most every service out there was for free, I wanted to create as large an internet presence as I could. Of course I jumped onto MySpace and then Facebook like many people did.

A few years ago, when the subject of internet privacy was brought up in relation to potential employers searching the net for dirt on applicants, I began to think about how out of control my online presence had become. One of the strategies I fell for was the idea that if you couldn't eliminate any potentially bad info, then flood the net with good stuff and push the bad stuff off the net. So I set up all my profiles to look like a resume. This didn't work so well with FaceBook and MySpace because of tagging.

Lately, because of the new laws, I've decided to keep my profiles blank (msn, yahoo, etc.) and private (no information and no friends), except MySpace and FaceBook, which I feel I could manage as a profile for my straw man. So I've been editing my friends list to only include people I have history with, ie. family, close friends and school mates.

I told my girlfriend that I was limiting my friends list because if the government was researching me, I can say I know so-and-so because of school, etc. My reasoning is that if someone I don't really know that is in my friends list is suspected of being involved in some criminal acts, or intents, and I get questioned about my relationship with them, what can I say to keep clear of that?

Of course she said, “If you’ve done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.” But what about the people I associate with? Birds of a feather as they say. Also, as mentioned in an earlier post, what about the people in power who would lie and set you up? I don't want to give them any spurious connections to work with. My older brother left Facebook months ago and his name is still on my friends list, no profile, but he is still a known associate of mine inside the data files of Facebook.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join