It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is not a police state! Quit the censcorship nonsense!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Where I part company with people like Revelation and the OP is that I do not believe ATS is MY site or YOUR site at all. That's ludicrous. It belongs to the people who put up the money and the effort to run it. Although I've put a considerable amount of time into ATS, I have paid no money, and I do not have any claim on it, certainly no legal claim.

Just to clarify, I do not believe ATS is "my site.". From my OP:

ATS IS NOT "OUR" SITE. We don't own it. We don't pay for it. We are here b/c we want to be here. And guess what. That means we have to play by the rules of ATS.

Otherwise, very well stated. Star for you!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
So I guess what I have to say: Enough already. ATS is what it is. Deal with it or move on, but for goodness sake quit whining about it!

Exactly, now apply this logic to your rant.

Obvious, probably already said... well I'm saying it again because I don't like censorship either. Shills aren't rooted out and censored, why should anyone else be censored? Why should anyone care about a word anyways?

Deny Ignorance, but should a random, spoiled kid come across this site and see a cuss word that means nobody can use them... ever.

Deny Ignorance, but don't talk about certain things the owners won't stand up to.

I don't like backwards logic like that. It isn't being done to make anyone any more comfortable here or encourage intelligent discussion, it's being done because people want to reap the rewards of a site with user-generated content without accepting the responsibility that comes with that.

I think the site should side with their loyal users and their right to speak their mind, not the internet police and shills. Just like you said though, it is what it is, I can't do anything other than bitch about it and protest in my own little ways.
edit on 11-4-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

I was under the impression (and I have no idea where I got this idea) that legalization of certain substances were verboten b/c it screwed up site filters or search engines or something. No idea if that's plausible or not, but I do remember reading it somewhere. I'll try to find it.

As for shills, I keep reading posts griping about them but how do we really know? Sometimes I think folks call someone a paid poster simply b/c they cannot refute the poster's logic. This is pure generalization on my part, please don't think I'm accusing you.

It's not so much the curse words themselves that angers me. I'm an adult and a teacher...I've heard it all over the years. But it's more than just the words. When you curse someone, you show them no respect, just utter contempt. Such nonsense quickly reduces most people to the emotional level of a second grader, and the only thing left to do is compare the number of obscenities one can string together. That's why I like ATS. it's nice to know such blatant disregard for another simply won't be tolerated.

I've noticed several responses claiming the mods aren't consistent. I can't really answer that, except to say the couple of times I've contacted a mod about a post, it was handled quickly. I don't usually take umbrage with personal comments, but sometimes enough is enough. Sometimes a post I consider questionable will be removed, and then the next five posts will be even worse. So why are those posts still standing? My guess...no one bothered to report it.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful contributions. Have a happy Wednesday!

smylee

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Yea, it all comes down to personal opinion. The right answer usually lies between the arguments of someone like me and someone like you. I just think something shouldn't be censored unless it is of malicious intent, but then somebody has to determine what that is and all that. When you prevent something from being talked about that makes "deny ignorance" hypocritical by the very definition of the word, this is wrong to me and I'm not afraid to say it. When you censor one side of something you are effectively supporting one of the views, just how it takes two different views usually to find the right answer, remove one of them and 9/10 that won't be the complete truth. It takes two people to argue and usually even the person who doesn't resort to cussing and name calling is at fault for making intellectually offensive remarks of some kind.

I don't like it either really, but without the immaturity ATS wouldn't be anywhere near as popular; let's face it, people are just stupid in general sometimes.

To me it's obvious there are shills on here, I don't make a habit of calling people shills either. You can look through my posts if you want, I have said the word "shill" maybe two dozen times at most since I have been posting on ATS. The majority of those are probably in threads about shills as well.

I could be wrong about it, but I would be willing to bet on it if there was any reliable way of telling.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join