It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kyle says 'Cut Here'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Kyle planned on a full 20-year career in the U.S. Marine Corps until Oct. 16, 2006. On patrol in Iraq, a roadside bomb exploded under Kyle's humvee. He was pulled from the smoking wreck with a severe injury to his right hand. That would be the last day he would ever use his right hand again. And after almost two years of rehabilitation, the pain was too much. Kyle decided to have it amputated. But he did it his own way.

Story

Even this story has a funny ending, the nature of the subject is serious. Kyle was terrified about having the wrong limb amputated, which has happened many times, where doctors have amputated the wrong limb or removed healthy organs from someone.
edit on 4/10/2012 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Funny story lol.
Look on the bright side, all he lost was his hand.
Very fortunate.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Not that unusual. When I had shoulder surgery a few years ago, the nurse in pre-op wrote about the same thing on my left shoulder. (the correct one)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Not that unusual. When I had shoulder surgery a few years ago, the nurse in pre-op wrote about the same thing on my left shoulder. (the correct one)

The nurse didn't write it, he did. Making it funny.
Don't be a bummer dude.

edit on 10-4-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

My point was, if it wasnt already written there, they probably wouldve done it for him. Not being a bummer, just commenting.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

That is a funny story, and not a bad idea!!

In fact, it is common practice in most surgery suites. They almost always mark the correct limb with something akin to a Sharpie while the patient is still conscious. Still, even with that, sometimes mistakes are made! It is pretty amazing that we can put 100 fail-safes in place, and still making egregious human errors.

The best bet is to stay the hell away from Doctors if you can help it, and in the case of Kyle here, take every precaution you can.

One of many sources with horror stories.

top topics

join